A serious question

As in I'm not asking because I'm looking for an excuse, but is there a reason why:confused:

I've struggled with my weight all my life, and I know what usually works to shift pounds, but can never get the will power to keep it up.

Last year I hit 50, I was laid up a lot due to a damaged knee and the weight piled on. I tried for a few weeks to lose some weight, but every time I hit the scales , it was showing either no loss, or a pound over two weeks, I got discouraged and gave up.

Now the knee is fixed, I've given up smoking and I need to drop 100 pounds. For 3 weeks now I've upped my activity level, and been following a sensible diet program that I lost 50 pounds with a few years back, and I've lost 0 POUNDS!!!!!

I'm really down about this, can anyone suggest a how I can kick start this 50 year old body into losing some fat? I'm just so tired the whole time, it's getting silly, should I get a check up, is there a reason why the weight won't start to shift?

Ive been battling with my weight for, well forever. Ive tried SO many diets SO many times its not even funny, but until your heads in the right place and you find the right diet, youre really fighting a losing battle. Once you get 'the click' theres no stopping you :)

If youre doing a lot of exercise that can really affect the lbs loss though youll see it in inches and youll feel it in your clothes.

Is it a proper structured diet youre following??

That is what is so frustrating, my head IS in the right place, I've got a great incentive, a new horse I want to ride, so it's a positive pull, rather than any sort of negative push.

I'm following the guidelines from the Shapes diet that worked so well just a few years back, I'm just so mad that it doesn't seem to be working. I know I'm silly, but that 4 or 5 pound loss that you usually get in the first week is such a morale booster, it really spurs you on. This is my second attempt in a year to start to lose it, and nothing happens.:mad:

If I could just see some progress it would help, but if I can't get some moving at 100 pounds to go, how scary is it going to be later..............not that I'm thinking that far ahead yet.

Dont stress hun...it only gives you wrinkles...:hug99:

If you are any thing like me....i am always a week behind in my weight loss...as in i can be really good...but not see the benefits till the week after...:sigh:

plus...

i only have to look at a chocolate bar...and it goes straight on my ....behind..:D

LOL

give it another week at least..and dont eat out of frustration..:eatdrink051:

xx:grouphugg:

Thanks for that Totty, I needed that, I'll try and stop frowning, I don't need anymore 'character lines' on my face, no wrinkles going on here:D

It's hard to stop yourself hitting the comfort food when nothing is happening.

As in I'm not asking because I'm looking for an excuse, but is there a reason why:confused:

I've struggled with my weight all my life, and I know what usually works to shift pounds, but can never get the will power to keep it up.

Last year I hit 50, I was laid up a lot due to a damaged knee and the weight piled on. I tried for a few weeks to lose some weight, but every time I hit the scales , it was showing either no loss, or a pound over two weeks, I got discouraged and gave up.

Now the knee is fixed, I've given up smoking and I need to drop 100 pounds. For 3 weeks now I've upped my activity level, and been following a sensible diet program that I lost 50 pounds with a few years back, and I've lost 0 POUNDS!!!!!

I'm really down about this, can anyone suggest a how I can kick start this 50 year old body into losing some fat? I'm just so tired the whole time, it's getting silly, should I get a check up, is there a reason why the weight won't start to shift?
are you on any tablets or maybe you should go to the doctors to have blood tested for thyroid problem some of these things make it hard to lose weight xxxx

Don't really know the answer hun but if you've stuck to a diet and done exercise and nothing is shifting those pounds, you may have an underactive thyroid. It would do no harm to get checked out by your doc.

For 3 weeks now I've upped my activity level, and been following a sensible diet program that I lost 50 pounds with a few years back, and I've lost 0 POUNDS!!!!!
That must be so annoying. I don't know much about the Shape Diet except for that it's higher protein than most (I think) Is there a calorie allowance to it?

Is there a chance that you are overeating the healthy stuff? Or is there portion control guidelines set out? With 99% of the diets, it's down to calories.

Also, remember that as you get older your metabolism slows, so you will probably need to eat a little less than you did when you did the diet before.

Even so, assuming there is a calorie guide too, you would expect to lose weight, so I do think that getting your thyroid checked would be a good idea.

I really hope you find the answer. Nothing more frustrating than working darn hard at dieting and not getting the results on the scales

Hello Farmer's Wife:wavey:

:tear_drop:Are you taking in enough fluid? If you can replace some of your calories with good ole 'adam's ale' - you may find that helps to shift those first few lbs! Many of us here have used a VLCD to kickstart our losses and with a VLCD you have to drink at least 2ltrs a day.

Even on the Biggest Loser episode I watched last night one of the trainers was explaining how water is really the only 'detox' worth going for.

If you up your water intake, you may find it helps a great deal.

Best of luck with your weightloss:D

:fyi: please let us know a bit more about the Shape diet - it's always good to hear of new things

I think I may need to get the Thyroid checked out, I've done some reading on the symptoms, and it sure sounds familiar, but to be honest I can read a medical dictionary and be suffering from most things in it:) The one that is really getting me is the tiredness and lack of concentration, I was putting the need for an afternoon nap, and the fact that if I don't write it down it isn't going to get done, down to age.

Great tip about the water, and once again this isn't an excuse, it's our reality, and I have to find ways of making it work for me..................SO................

All you folk back in the UK there, please take 5 minutes to really give thanks for good old tap water. You honestly do not know how lucky you are.

Where we live now there is no mains water, our house water comes from a shallow well in the yard, which we had tested and is not fit to drink without boiling :eek:, so all drinking water comes in bottles, or out of the cooler. It just puts one more barrier in the way of drinking enough water, what I wouldn't give to be able to just draw a glass of water out of the tap and drink it.

That's something I for one did not realise:rolleyes:

We so take things for granted - don't we:eek:

When are you going to make the appointment for your thyroid check? Does it cost you to go to see a Dr in Canada - the NHS is another thing that is seriously abused here in the UK

When are you going to make the appointment for your thyroid check? Does it cost you to go to see a Dr in Canada - the NHS is another thing that is seriously abused here in the UK

A check up at the Doctor is like the UK, doesn't cost you, apart from the fact that it is a 20 mile drive to the nearest one. The great thing about that Docs is that the 'cottage' Hospital is right next door, and often you can wander round from the Surgery to the Hospital and get your tests done straight away, and all hospital stuff is free as well:)

The problem comes when you get a prescription, I was on Celebrex for the pain in my knee, and that was $100 (around £50) for a months supply, antibiotics are cheap, and strangely enough so is Morphine............I had some for the knee pain when it got really bad, and that was actually a cheap buzz:D:D It's a system that does make you ask is it worth taking these drugs, at that price.

I will make the appointment, probably next week as we are currently struggling to get the last of the spring seeding finished on the farm here, and time off just doesn't happen.

I may be being a little hard on myself though, the honest truth is that my electronic scales wont actually weigh me at the moment, they just scream "GET OFF FATTY" and then produce an error code:eek: I was convinced that losing a pound or two would at least get me back on the dial, and I panicked when it didn't happen.

BUT................I actually checked my belt today, and I appear to be 2 holes tighter :party0011:, Husband, love him, how the hell have I managed to stay married for 30 years??? suggested that the leather had stretched.............did I mention that visits to the Accident and Emergency are also free under the Canadian Health Service. I'm choosing to believe that I've lost an inch, and that gives me the hope I need to carry on, and a firm first target....get the scales to measure me.

Its definately worth getting your thyroid checked, even if you have no 'symptoms'. I went for a general check at my GP's and he did all my bloods (thyroid, cholesterol, iron etc.) and my TSH levels in my thyroid came back at 10.7 (they should be between 2-5!). They were re-checked in 6wks and had gone up to 10.9 so I was put on meds to bring them back down. I'm now on a roller coaster of doses to get the right one for me, which could take up to 9mths, BUT in the meantime my loss has been kickstarted again! I had stopped losing and was on week 6 of a plateau when I was first put on meds- I lost 3lbs the first week! I had no 'symptoms' that I knew of- the tiredness I put down to running round after 2 toddlers, the bad skin I've always had, contipation too. The GP said that I had sub-clinical hypo- where it hadn't developed into full-blown hypo yet- it had been 'caught' before it got too serious. I hope (sort of?) that there is a 'reason' that you're not losing- it can be really disheartening when the scales don't reflect your efforts?

lol @ your husband, they can be so tactless and unhelpful in these matters! Get yourself a proper tape measure and maybe some new scales? I thought I had thyroid problems a while back, as I was always tired and forgetful, but the tests came back negative. The forgetfulness is probably an age thing, I'm now taking omega 3 supplements. Now I'm eating healthily I'm a lot less tired all the time.

if it's that difficult to drink lots of water then that could be a large part of your problem. until recently i hardly drank anything. i'm amazed at how much better i feel now i drink a couple of litres a day... would you be able to drink over 2 litres a day do you think?

abz xx

Its definately worth getting your thyroid checked, even if you have no 'symptoms'. I went for a general check at my GP's and he did all my bloods (thyroid, cholesterol, iron etc.) and my TSH levels in my thyroid came back at 10.7 (they should be between 2-5!). They were re-checked in 6wks and had gone up to 10.9 so I was put on meds to bring them back down. I'm now on a roller coaster of doses to get the right one for me, which could take up to 9mths, BUT in the meantime my loss has been kickstarted again! I had stopped losing and was on week 6 of a plateau when I was first put on meds- I lost 3lbs the first week! I had no 'symptoms' that I knew of- the tiredness I put down to running round after 2 toddlers, the bad skin I've always had, contipation too. The GP said that I had sub-clinical hypo- where it hadn't developed into full-blown hypo yet- it had been 'caught' before it got too serious. I hope (sort of?) that there is a 'reason' that you're not losing- it can be really disheartening when the scales don't reflect your efforts?

I hope that they get your meds balanced soon. I've been reading the symptoms and really am wondering if I do have a thyroid issue. Hubbie needs to go and get a check up this coming week, so I'll book us both in, and get a full blood panel done I think.
lol @ your husband, they can be so tactless and unhelpful in these matters! Get yourself a proper tape measure and maybe some new scales? I thought I had thyroid problems a while back, as I was always tired and forgetful, but the tests came back negative. The forgetfulness is probably an age thing, I'm now taking omega 3 supplements. Now I'm eating healthily I'm a lot less tired all the time.

It's funny isn't it, I've been putting my forgetfulness down to age, but now there is a chance it may be an illness, I'd rather be ill than old:confused::confused: strange thinking. I suppose I had best start doing the whole tape measure thing, once again it's strange the way the brain works, the inches make me cringe more than the scales do.

if it's that difficult to drink lots of water then that could be a large part of your problem. until recently i hardly drank anything. i'm amazed at how much better i feel now i drink a couple of litres a day... would you be able to drink over 2 litres a day do you think?

abz xx

Oh I CAN drink the 2 litres + a day. Before we left the UK I worked in a call centre, I always had a litre bottle with me, which I was sure to fill and drink twice a day. The odd thing was I was happy to stand at the water cooler to do that, but here I find it frustrating that I have to use the cooler rather than the tap :sigh:.

Son has actually come up with a good idea, boil a kettle full of water in the morning, steep up some green tea then cool and drink it as ice tea through the day...............may just work.

One for the ladies to sympathise with here. Once again drinking 2 litres a day isn't a problem when you are working in an office, the loo is always handy (even if I did always use one on another floor, making sure to take the stairs) but out here.................well it's very flat, there are very few bushes or trees, in fact no cover at all. Now although there are very few people out here, it's still very daunting to just have to take a pee out there in the open:eek:

oooooooooooh dear!!

it will really help though. if you drink it slowly you could probably get away with a couple of trips... and the more you drink it the less often you will need to go and wee as your body adjusts...

abz xx

:giveup:
OK so now I'm totally :confused:

I went to see the Doc today, and our usual Doc wasn't there, :character00238: I don't like him that much, but the other one is worse!!

So I had a nice :psiholog: with the locum, and he is sending me off for blood tests, but NOT for the Thyroid check:confused:

We are doing blood sugars and also checking all hormone levels, he's currently thinking that all my issues are due to a combination of quitting smoking, onset of menopause and possible diabetic issues. The :eek::eek: part of the day was being told to go away and stop trying to diet:eek::eek:

I've never been told that before, but he says that I don't need the added stress of trying to fight my body at the moment, his advice was go home, relax, try and maintain current weight for a while, and just chill a bit.

Funny though, had to go to the shop on the way home, thought mmmmm lovely I can relax and buy some good stuff and eat what I want..................and I didn't want anything:rolleyes:

it's the forbidden fruit syndrome. you never actually want what you let yourself have huh?

good luck with it. when are you expecting all your results?

abz xx

Back