A Taste Of Honey

So, how was this week for me, huh?

237 in 2011: Weight Loss
Lost ½ lbs this week, taking me to a grand total of 72 lbs lost. I would have liked to lose more than that, and I am a little disappointed, but I feel inspired to try different things next week to get me to my goal.

The 2 million dollar woman: take 2 million steps in 2011
I’ve walked 676,451 steps – and to be honest, I’ve been slacking a little over the last three days, so might want to put a goal in there to get it back up again. But overall very good.

Always the sun – always wear sun block
Another week with a hundred % success rate – this is a very easy goal, I guess, but still, gotta take credit for actually doing it without fail!

Money makes the world go round: save £3,500
Not bad at all, a week without visiting coffee shops, took lunch in every day, didn’t use my credit card. I gave money to someone’s leaving do, bought a meal out (for under £10) on Friday night, took a taxi home last night. I’ve also cut down on the total amount for my grocery shopping, so that’s good. Bit worried about the size of my credit card bill, but I can understand each purchase. I’m going to use cash for my clothes buying in future.

I am spending a lot of money on clothes, but that’s because NOTHING fits, and it’s so exciting and pleasurable to buy new things.

Come Fly With Me – follow FlyLady and open my home to the world
My home is gorgeous this week, I’ve been sticking to my routines and it’s effortless. It’s so easy and so effective. This week I’ve been sorting out my wardrobe section by section, just taking 15 minutes (if that) a day to do it.

Back in the closet – keep putting my clothes away…
Yes, looking around everything looks neat and sorted, no big piles of laundry, my bedding has been changed and needs washing, but that’s about it

Let the right ones in – cherish old friends, make new friends, go to every single invitation all year
I’ve been quite busy this week, went out three times, saw people. Had a lovely dinner last night with two fabulous friends. Earlier I felt quite let down by a friend, and I think I need a bit of distance for a few days from her, but that’s okay. I would like to focus this week on being pro-active about arranging things

Keep the wrong ones out – let him go this year
Well, I went for five days without speaking to him and it was fab. I cracked yesterday and I feel a bit sick at myself today, I don’t want to go back to how things were in the past, you know. So, I’m going to have that as a bit of a goal next week.

Honour my family and remember my past
I called my mother several times and was very patient and upbeat with her. She’s my only family.

Personally positive and living in the moment
I stuck to this a lot – every time I wanted to cry about Paul, or every time I wanted to feel sorry for myself, I reminded myself of this goal, made myself smile and go and do something else. So yeah, definitely did this really well! It’s a great goal to have, and personally important to me not to let myself get panicked or upset or sad.

My invisible gossamer wings of steel
My horrible colleague doesn’t bother me any more – couldn’t care less about her, she’s not an issue at all any more. When the feelings wash over me I mentally activate my shield and it does work, in that it reminds me that I’m not bothered. I’ve had a good week and I think it will continue.

Howl at the moon
I need to track this, I’m a bit out of sync with where I am

Simply gorgeous
I carried out loads of pampering/self-care routines this week, which makes me feel polished and groomed. I worry that this is vain, but a lot of things that I like aren’t expensive, it’s just about upkeep, lol. Like looking after your hands and nails, or plucking your eyebrows, scrubbing your face, wearing nice make-up etc. So good on this goal.

Fashions fade, style is eternal
I get compliments almost every day on my clothes, since losing weight it’s become hugely enjoyable to me to look for outfits etc. I’ve bought new clothes, and wore some fabulous things this week. It turns out I have a bit of an eye for colour or style, and I look so good. This is incredibly different for me, who would have thought I would have been this person?

Miss Smarty Pants – 500 top stories
Rubbish at this – I’ve lost the grip on what’s happening in Libya and the Ivory Coast, so will try to fit this in again.

Film 2011 – my 42 films
Didn’t go this week – there was nothing opening on Friday at the cinema, and was out last night, so no opportunity.

I love your goals Honey and I love your updates. I love your positivity and the things that you are setting out to change bit by bit. It really is great to see :)

Gail x

I think that this week is going to be quite tough in terms of weight loss. I had dinner on Saturday night which was incredibly heavy and over indulgent, and although it didn't show up on Sunday's weigh in, it will show up next week. So, I'm aiming for a lowly one pound, and am going to be very focused and healthy. I think with Easter and a week's holiday coming up for me, the next two weeks are important to get some good healthy lifestyle choices under my belt and really work on my weight loss goal, and then aim to stay the same over my holiday.

I'm going to try a couple of things this week, or rather, focus on them:

i). Track my food (which I do anyway), but look things up
ii). Look up some cheaper and different recipes - I'm in a bit of a rut and I'd like to eat some different food next week
iii). Drink more water, aim for three large glasses a day (this is something I'm not good at)
iv). Have a night out without drinking on Thursday - there is no reason to over-indulge at all
v). Up my walking again, so I'm taking four walks a day and averaging about 10k steps a day - I got a little lazy last week
vi). Relax! These are all habits and things are going well, I would just like to shake things up a little

Hi Honey,

I promise you're not on your own. However you HAVE lost stones and stones - your losses have been really excellent. I'm sure things will slow down but i'm equally sure that they will also pick up at times.

I feel a bit like that too at the moment having lost only 0.5 lb/week the last 2 weeks. However, I am still losing and I'm enjoying my food and eating plenty. So as frustrating as it might be (and maybe a little disheartening) it's all going in the right direction. I also have to keep telling myself 'what's the rush ?'. Yes, I'd like to be at/close to target but equally I feel really good, I look fantastic compared to how I did and if I was further along and closer to/at my target, what would be different ? Probably nothing because I will need to continue doing this in order to keep the weight off.

So big hugs and keep it up. You are doing BRILLIANTLY :D

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

You're incredibly encouraging and motivating, Gail, and just fab! Thank you so much, it's very liberating to be able to talk a bout exactly how I feel here - you're very understanding!

Monday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Be Good to Yourself Tuna with Beans & Sweetcorn in a Tomato & Chilli Dressing = 2 syns
Mushroom Steamed Basmati Rice = 3 syns
Snack-a-jacks = 5 syns
Be Good to Yourself, chicken chow mein = 8.5 syns
Salad (rocket, sweet pepper, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries)

TOTAL = 18.5 syns

Tuesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Satsumas x 2
Plums x 2
Mushrooms (1/2 tin)
Sweetcorn (1/2 tin)
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry = 4 syns
Salad (rocket, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, couscous) = 1 syn
BGTY chilli con carne with rice = 7 syns
Asparagus, carrots, mushrooms
Salad (rocket, pepper, cucumber)

TOTAL = 12 syns

I think that this week is going to be quite tough in terms of weight loss. I had dinner on Saturday night which was incredibly heavy and over indulgent, and although it didn't show up on Sunday's weigh in, it will show up next week.

I'm going to try a couple of things this week, or rather, focus on them:

i). Track my food (which I do anyway), but look things up
ii). Look up some cheaper and different recipes - I'm in a bit of a rut and I'd like to eat some different food next week
iii). Drink more water, aim for three large glasses a day (this is something I'm not good at)
iv). Have a night out without drinking on Thursday - there is no reason to over-indulge at all
v). Up my walking again, so I'm taking four walks a day and averaging about 10k steps a day - I got a little lazy last week
vi). Relax! These are all habits and things are going well, I would just like to shake things up a little

Hi Honey,

I'm not quite sure why you say that the big meal on Saturday didn't show up this week. You lost 0.5lb this week which while good isn't as much as you often lose. So I would say that it probably did show up last week and that this week may well be a good one.

However I think you plan of things to do is a very sensible one and one that will certainly help (and is good advice for anyone reading this thread). So go for it and I'm sure you will have another loss this week, no matter how big or small.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Hi Honey,

I'm not quite sure why you say that the big meal on Saturday didn't show up this week. You lost 0.5lb this week which while good isn't as much as you often lose. So I would say that it probably did show up last week and that this week may well be a good one.

However I think you plan of things to do is a very sensible one and one that will certainly help (and is good advice for anyone reading this thread). So go for it and I'm sure you will have another loss this week, no matter how big or small.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Thanks Gail!!! I agree, I'm being a bit negative in the above. I just figure that over-indulgence for me tends to show up the week after - it's probably superstition, lol :p

I suspect my weight loss is slowing down, which is a bit of a bummer. I've been working so hard at it for the last few weeks, and in January I lost 3 or 4 lbs a week. Now it's less. That's okay though, I feel very in the zone - I've had a terrific few weeks, not tempted by food at ALL. I eat so well, enjoy my food, but I don't dream of cakes/crisps etc. And I'm just not tempted by goodies at work - for some reason, they leave me cold. I think I want to lose weight so much, that it just doesn't seem worth it to me to throw it away on something I didn't even choose.

I must say, though, I do always have one treat on a Sunday evening, no matter what. AND I don't count it or worry about it!!! It seems to suit me, although I did worry that I was rewarding myself with food. But on the other hand,it's like a bit of a safety valve to me, so I'm not worried by it.

Wednesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 1
Satsumas x 2
Apple x 1
Plums x 2
Salad (rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, couscous)= 1 syn
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry + sweetcorn + mushrooms = 4 syns
Salad (spinach, tomatoes, cucumber)
Asparagus + mushrooms
Sainsbury’s Thai Green Chicken Curry 400g = 6 syns

TOTAL = 11 syns

Thursday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 2
Satsumas x 2
Apples x 2
Salad (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, couscous) = 1 syn
John West tuna with a twist = 3 syns
Omelette with mushrooms
Baked beans
Quorn sausages x 2

TOTAL = 4 syns

Friday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 1
Satsumas x 2
Apples x 1
Salad (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, couscous) = 1 syn
Sainsburys Bombay Potatoes (1/2 tin) = 7 syns
Count on Us Chargrilled Chicken & Asparagus Risotto = 7 syns
Diet coke x 2
Frozen berries
Muller light yoghurt

TOTAL = 15 syns

I was talking to my mum last night, and we were talking about the past, and I was saying that I NEVER talk to people about where I come from, because, I don’t know, it sounds odd. So I thought I’d write it here, where I'm open but anonymous....

I’m 42, I have a degree, a postgraduate degree, I started a PhD but never finished it because of circumstances beyond my control and I need to work and earn money. I am a professional, I am well spoken, I have a soft accent, but nothing marked. I have strong ethics, I am for want of a better word, respectable.

My parents were fantastic. There was a massive age difference between my parents, and we were poor but very respectable. No drink, drugs, domestic abuse, nothing other than good values and kindness. I grew up in a household with an outdoor toilet and no bathroom for the first ten years. Then we moved to a nice council house, and had indoor plumbing and central heating for the first time. We didn’t get a fridge till I was 16, no telephone till long after I left home, no video, no car, no holidays other than day trips and a couple of weeks away in a caravan when I was small.

I was very happy, but we were poor. All my clothes were second-hand, my mum cut my hair (didn’t go to a hairdresser till I was in my twenties), we lived in gorgeous countryside. My dad worked all his life very hard, and then retired when he was 60 and enjoyed a very happy retirement. My mum was a cleaner sporadically, and very hard worker. They had some very bad luck which they never moaned about, but for example they had bought a house for my grandfather, paid the mortgage for years and lived elsewhere, but then it was repossessed after his death because my father’s brother failed to pay the rates (taxes) on the house, and my parents had no money to meet that payment. So they lost the house.

My dad was from a very nice working class family in Wales – huge family, his mother died when he was young, and the older children brought up the younger ones. He spoke about this as a very happy childhood, poor but nice.

Now, my Mum on the other hand – her childhood is strange looking back. They lived in a shack (this is in the UK in the 1950s) in the country, no indoor plumbing, no sink, no stove. Her mother used to cook on the fire. All water had to be brought in from the spring outside.

When my mum married my dad, they lived in a caravan for the first three years of their married life, no light, no electricity, no water etc. Then they moved to the place I remember. So, it kind of was extreme poverty, but very happy. My childhood was significantly poorer than anyone’s I’ve ever met, but again, they loved me and I did quite well.

I just don’t have the language to ever communicate this to people, and I never really feel the need. I don’t hide it, I always say my family were very poor and working class, but I think the way I speak and look doesn’t quite match with it. It’s like I’m making it up for effect. I dunno. I just don’t know anyone in my life with a background even close to mine.

What’s the point of this? I think it’s because sometimes I beat myself up for not being further forward in my life, for not owning a house and having more. But then just a glance backwards from my roots show that my background is enormously different to anyone to whom I compare myself. From my starting point, I have actually done well.

Goodness. I forget all this all the time. I never think about it, it’s just who I am. But – yeah, completely different history.

And I love my parents, I’m so proud of them, they were wonderful to me and my brother growing up. I suppose that’s why I don’t talk about it much, because what they did give me was a deep total knowledge that I was loved unconditionally. Better than anything else if you ask me…

What a fascinating story honey. How lovely that you look back on your childhood as a happy childhood. And how proud you (justifiably) are for your achievements since then. To be honest, I think (from the things that I know of you here) that you have done well, regardless of your starting point but especially so considering your starting point.

I am so proud of you and so pleased at the amazing progress you are making. I hope you feel amazing :)

Good luck for tomorrow.

Gail x

.......because what they did give me was a deep total knowledge that I was loved unconditionally. Better than anything else if you ask me…

Those few words that I have quoted beautifully sum up how I feel about my parents and my upbringing. The funny thing is that it wasn't until fairly recently that I realised how privileged I was in that respect, that so many don't have that all enveloping feeling of love and support no matter what.

I loved reading about your background Honey and you certainly shouldn't be beating yourself up about your achievements. You have a good head on your shoulders, a loving heart and a caring mind. Not that anyone should be judging us, but at the end of the day your qualities stack up as more important on the scales than ownership of material things. That is my view anyway :p :D

Oh yay, another 2.5 lbs gone!!!!!!

Oh yay, this is a great week. Am so pleased that I had a good loss, because I thought it would be slowing down a little. I also made lots of good food choices through the week, and I did a fair amount of walking. I feel good about myself, confident and upbeat. I love losing weight, I love the fact that my life is changing and I feel confident and optimistic. I love the fact that I can see this carrying on, because, why wouldn’t it?

I am not tempted at work to pick at food, because I want to have a good weigh in on Sundays. I just don’t even see the cakes and biscuits and crisps that are always lying around. I feel like I’ve made a significant life change. After 37 weeks, I hope that I’ve made some lasting changes. It would be quite difficult to go back to the old ways without some triggering event.

It will also be easier because the summer is here for the next four months – light days and nights, loads of fruit and vegetables cheaply available, warm and happy. I’ve done the winter and it was fine, and now this is the easier time for weight loss.

Oh I’m so happy this morning!!! I feel like I’m making terrific progress.

Good day so far. Am having a skinny cinnamon latte right now though. Is that bad?

I feel like I look good today, which is cool.

Not bad at all. Very good in fact that you can have stuff like that, count it, enjoy it and not feel guilty. I love SW :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Monday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 1
Apple x 1
Basmati rice
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry = 4 syns
Sainsburys BGTY mushroom risotto = 4.5 syns
Rocket / pomegranates
Skinny cinnamon latte = 4.5 syns
Salt and vinegar snack-a-jacks = 5 syns

TOTAL = 18 syns

gl12282 said:
What a fascinating story honey. How lovely that you look back on your childhood as a happy childhood. And how proud you (justifiably) are for your achievements since then. To be honest, I think (from the things that I know of you here) that you have done well, regardless of your starting point but especially so considering your starting point.

I am so proud of you and so pleased at the amazing progress you are making. I hope you feel amazing :)

Good luck for tomorrow.

Gail x

Thanks for this lovely message Gail, thats so thoughtful of you and much appreciated x

OzzieMoz said:
Those few words that I have quoted beautifully sum up how I feel about my parents and my upbringing. The funny thing is that it wasn't until fairly recently that I realised how privileged I was in that respect, that so many don't have that all enveloping feeling of love and support no matter what.

I loved reading about your background Honey and you certainly shouldn't be beating yourself up about your achievements. You have a good head on your shoulders, a loving heart and a caring mind. Not that anyone should be judging us, but at the end of the day your qualities stack up as more important on the scales than ownership of material things. That is my view anyway :p :D

Youre so supportive and kind! Thank you for your message, and the very flattering comments...:) x

Back