A visit to the doctor

Jaycey

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
It might sound a bit mad, but this was my first visit to the doctor since I started CD (I keep taking my form to and from my WIs and forgetting to make an appointment!). I had to go for something else this time, so took the form with me to be signed.

What surprised me was that my doctor was amazingly uninformed about CD! (She tut-tutted at first until I realised she thought I was talking about Atkins!) Once I'd explained it to her a bit more (basically I said it was like LL only different), she was still rather sniffy about it. It appears she knows some people who went on LL - including a doctor friend - and they all put weight back on afterwards apparently. (I don't know what LL's maintenance is like but it can't be much good if everyone's putting the weight back on?)

I was actually glad I'd already started the diet before I went, because I think she might have tried to talk me out of it! (My blood pressure was perfect, so at least she couldn't say anything about that, lol.) However, once she realised I was committed, we did mention exercise and Pilates came up (again!). She also said that I should lift weights - I could see her eyeing my burgeoning bingo wings :eek: - in order to firm everything up. So it wasn't all bad. :)

I just wondered what reactions other people have had from their doctors?

i have avoided my doctor because i cant bear negative attitudes about the diet. I asked a pharmacist in boots the other day "what supplements i could take as my hair has been thinning?" and he helpfully told me to stop doing the diet and eat healthily!! (does the stupid idiot not think i may of attempted that before taking such drastic action???)
As far as i am concerned you cant do right for doing wrong, doctors say you will be ill/have complications if your fat.....BUT wont give you a gastric bypass,OR any kind of help. then give you tablets that are crap and then moan when you do a diet they "dont approve of"!!!
i only go to the doctors when need to!!!

Sent the form in to be signed, but haven't seen him... would like to keep it that way! I am a bit doctor-phobic. But so glad they signed the form! I have seen from threads that some docs can be negative - you'd think they'd be happy as CD is saving the NHS a fortune - they should be recommending it to us!!!

xxx

I thought you only needed the form signed if your BMI was over 40

Dunno, my CDC said I had to have a form signed & my BMI was 30-something? She sent him three bloomin forms in the end before he finally signed one! Not sure about the BMI 40 thing, I have seen other people mention this & it always confused me?

xxx

You have to have your form signed if you say 'yes' to any of the medication questions (I'm on Citalopram for my hot flushes). :)

I hate going to the doctors and dreaded having to my form signed. They always lecture me as on the computer screen is says "This patient suffers from non-compliance syndrome!" in big letters :cry: :D

As norm, when there's a biggy I need checked out, I mentioned some minor ailment, then threw the biggy at him just as I left. "oh btw..can you quickly sign this..must rush" :D

He wasn't too happy as I hadn't any literature to go with it, but did reassure him that I'd checked for safety etc to save him the bother....and please...just sign on the dotted line :D He did, (with a sigh though). D'oh

I was very nervous about going to get my form signed as there is actually a note up in the surgery saying "Do not ask us to sign forms for VLCD as this is against our policy. If you would like to lose weight please make an appointment with the nurse" .. as you can imagine I was not impressed by this. But, with a BMI of 55 :( I had no choice but to get my forms signed (plus im on Citalopram). So, I deliberately went to see the one doctor who is notoriously slap-happy (she actually sent me home once when i had a gall stone stuck in my bile duct and i was jaundiced - only to later be rushed in to hospital by ambulance for a cholecystectomy). She was a bit reluctant to sign the form and actually admitted that nobody else in the practice would do it... but she signed in the end :)

Unwilling doctors

There is communication for doctors available to allow them to have a better understanding of th CD.Ask you CDC for one of these.
All people who are on medication or answered yes under other conditions on the form have to have this signed by the Dr , irrespective of your BMI.
You have to make the Dr aware as your medication may need to be altered as your weight changes.

I find the Dr's are my surgery are happy that people are doing something to improve their health.

Li:p

Last edited:
My doctor was great. I didn't have to have anything signed but when I first mentioned to him about my weight it was him who brought up LL. He said that yes he knew people who had done it and then gained it back again but that can happen with any diet if you come off it and then don't change your eating habits. He said he thought it would be good for me to get decent losses to spur me on and then we would look at a healthy eating plan for when I have lost it. I then went away and went back to him with cd and he said if I needed anything signing he would do it no problem and i've to go to him every 4wks and he will check my bloods and monitor me. I forgot to go back (oops!) but I will make an appointment to go in and get it done soon. Ooh I actually have a q, better start a new thread!

Well done on your weight loss.Keep it up.

Li

My doctor was great. I didn't have to have anything signed but when I first mentioned to him about my weight it was him who brought up LL. He said that yes he knew people who had done it and then gained it back again but that can happen with any diet if you come off it and then don't change your eating habits. He said he thought it would be good for me to get decent losses to spur me on and then we would look at a healthy eating plan for when I have lost it. I then went away and went back to him with cd and he said if I needed anything signing he would do it no problem and i've to go to him every 4wks and he will check my bloods and monitor me. I forgot to go back (oops!) but I will make an appointment to go in and get it done soon. Ooh I actually have a q, better start a new thread!

i think i am the only person on here whose doctor reccomeded it to them - my cdc was amazed when i told her!

i went to get my pill and there was a young locum covering for my usual useless doctor who pointed out that my weight had gone up over the two years i'd been at the surgery, and when i told him about my pcos and how i found it very very slow to loose weight he told me to look up the cambridge diet on the internet to see if i was elegible at bmi 28.5, and as i was going he said to make sure i introduced the food back slowly and do 30mins cardio a week like everyone should do. and here i am!

My doctor was in agreement much the same as Gillianr2's doc. I myself carefully evaluated what I was doing before going on this diet and my doctor knows that I have really tried losing weight and without knowing it I was actually putting it on. Agreed, we could all put the weight on BUT look at the many on here who have lost and HAVE maintained, KD for example!

I am glad to be losing the weight and my plan (I think it is important to think of the after) is to return to my desired exercise plan but to be able to jog, cycle, etc. without feeling utterly exhausted.

I am hoping too that this diet restricts what I eat to the point that I have no choice but to see it is a new way of life, and to take on board any learning, to analyse for myself what I would normally do in stressful situations etc. I have realised actually that most of the time I ate out of habit and I then became obsessed with food and when I was going to eat next. This diet has also stopped me drinking, much of my problems stemmed from drinking wine and I was getting to the point where I concidered that I may have an actual problem but looking back, that wine was a mask... while drunk or tipsy I didn't care any more about what I looked like or how fat I was, in fact, in that state I felt brilliant! Until the next morning!

There are pros and cons to everything but I think under careful evaluation and sensible thinking for after, this diet should be a God send.

I think it's up to us to prove to our doctors that we can do it!! (And that VLCDs aren't all bad.) I'm going to find some excuse to go back to mine whilst I'm on maintenance, just to prove to her that not everyone piles the weight back on. Now there's a challenge for me, lol :eek:.

You would think that with all the current obsession with obesity, the government would have leapt upon VLCDs as an effective means of rapid weight loss for people who are endangering their health and lives. How can they be called 'extreme' when people go off and have gastric band/stomach stapling/jaw wiring operations (with all the risks that an operation entails, especially if you're hugely overweight)? None of those ops retrain people's eating habits like a diet does (I've heard stories about jaw-wired people trying to liquidise Big Macs and suck up the result - how gross is that?! :jelous:).

Anyway my doctor knows I'm a stubborn old boot (she's known me since I was 15) so she would have had a very hard job trying to talk me out of this - and I'm in da zone now! ;)

interesting thread -

i saw my Gp to get my implant out as i was excercising 2-3 times a week, and thought i was eating relatively healthy and not losing much.. so he took it out and said it was great that i was excericing, and he wished everyone else would do it... (i actually ran the same 5km race as him at Xmastime, which was bizarre but he said he was proud of me!)

a couple of months later i started CD and have so far lost 3 stone 3 lbs... i'm really looking forward to going back to my GP, although i haven't really got a reason as such, but i want him to see how well i've done.....

mind you, if he turns out to be sceptical then i will feel a bit let down... i don't know what his thoughts on CD or VLCD's are?

mind you, if he turns out to be sceptical then i will feel a bit let down... i don't know what his thoughts on CD or VLCD's are?
He can't argue with your fab results, hun! ;) (Just keep it off and watch him eat his words - while you eat your CD meal, lol! :D)

My doctor thought it was a great idea too as she knew how much I had struggled with my weight and how it was ruining my life. Its great to get one up on thm for once. You'd think they'd be happy that they arent having to pay for anything!! xx

I saw my doctor beginning of dec, he had a long chat with me about my weight, I came home cried and scoffed my face lol, and he was lovely about it, not at all putting me down! I am due to see him in a few weeks (pill!) and am a bit nervous as I have lost so much, but at least I went away and did something about it

As for putting weight back on - any diet you can put it back on, you need to stay focused on what you eat!! I know I have done loads of diets before cd, and this one has clicked IYSWIM!

Back