A word of caution re: milk!

very informative - i should maybes measure and weigh my HEs as my guesses prob arent accurate! In fact I don't actually know how much I should have, never mind how much that amount would look like! x

Hi LadyHelen.
You say you hate skimmed milk, have you tryed THE ONE skimmed milk it realy dose tast as good as semi skimmed milk and you can have 350mls for hxa. I would'nt go back to semi now.

It's not skimmed unfortunately. I've said in a comment further up, our consultant warned us about it - skimmed milk has to be less than 0.3% fat, and the one is 1%. Semi skimmed is 1.5% at the lowest, so really there's not much difference. You still only get 250ml unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion though :)

is it decaffinated green tea you drink taz? otherwise normal green tea has the same, if not more caffeine than coffee:eek:

i made myself ill when i swapped ALL my daily cups of normal tea (loads, at least 12 cups!) for green tea and ended up being sick and fainting :eek:

i measure out my milk every morning in one of Eve's bottles!! its good to know syn-wise what could happen if i was slack though, so thanks for the post:cool:
It's the Tetley green tea with peppermint. I only have 2 cups per day.

Caffeine is a serious addiction and if you go from drinking loads per day to none then you will get bad withdrawals. I tried that once and it didn't take me long to realise just how strong the addiction is. I then cut down and now only have one coffee a per day

It's the Tetley green tea with peppermint. I only have 2 cups per day.

Caffeine is a serious addiction and if you go from drinking loads per day to none then you will get bad withdrawals. I tried that once and it didn't take me long to realise just how strong the addiction is. I then cut down and now only have one coffee a per day

tell me about it!!! i switched to de-caf tea when i was pregnant and was just as ill as i was when i overdosed on green tea!!

i should cut down really but i love tea so much :eek:

Caffeine is a serious addiction and if you go from drinking loads per day to none then you will get bad withdrawals.

I found this out the hard way when I went into hospital - the headaches were absolutely horrific!

I had headaches and the shakes, not to mention mood swings and thats from drinking diet coke! I was drinking in excess of 3 litres a day and nothing else at the time!!!
I now drink water and only occasionally do I have tea or coffee and I have limited myself to 2 cans of pop a day.

I'm a coffee addict too, but do try to stop drinking it after lunchtime. I tried lots of different green/white/herbal teas before finding one I really like - Clipper Detox Tea - tastes a bit like weak hot vimto.

As for milk I started buying skimmed soon as I started SW and I stick to the one pint size - make it last two days, then don't worry if I have a white coffee from the machine at work - should be 1½ syns.

:)

Lady Helen, wouldn't some of your excess milk count as a second HexA? If you're not having a second one in some other form, like cheese, not all of the milk you're having would be syns. So it's probably not as bad as you thought. You've been losing weight till this point, right?

I don't like coffee that much, only have one now and again, but like you I need to put loads of milk in it, so I just count it as a second HexA.

Yes I was going to say that, I never measure my milk, I just have what I want as I only have 1 HEA anyway and am losing. However if I did start to stick I would start measuring it. It's the same with B choices, esp where cereals are concerned as it is so easy to just tip a load into a bowl and scoff away! Also fish and meat as a B choice on a green day should be the raw weight and not cooked weight (cooked weight means you can eat loads more than you should be having!) this catches people out too

Just a word of warning - the 1% milk (is very nice) but is only 250ml (same as semi skimmed) for HEX A.

Oh Dear, thanks for the warning, could of been a big mistake.:)

It's the same with B choices, esp where cereals are concerned as it is so easy to just tip a load into a bowl and scoff away!

On that point, am I the only one who doesn't actually own kitchen scales? I do my measuring out with a set of American 'cup' measures. I find it less hassle than using scales. If anyone else has these and wants to use them, here's a conversion chart you might find useful:

US Cups to Weight

Lady Helen, wouldn't some of your excess milk count as a second HexA? If you're not having a second one in some other form, like cheese, not all of the milk you're having would be syns. So it's probably not as bad as you thought. You've been losing weight till this point, right?

I don't like coffee that much, only have one now and again, but like you I need to put loads of milk in it, so I just count it as a second HexA.

I'm doing extra easy so I only get 1 HexA to start with! When doing the Green/Original days I do tend to use the second one for cheese as I'm an utter cheese lover. Up until now I've been losing weight but s-l-o-w-l-y, and had hit a plateau just before Christmas when I stopped going (I've rejoined lately). Now I think I know why!

I'm doing extra easy so I only get 1 HexA to start with! When doing the Green/Original days I do tend to use the second one for cheese as I'm an utter cheese lover.

Ah right, you will have to be very careful about the extra milk, then. It'll be interesting to see how your losses go now. :)

Yes I was going to say that, I never measure my milk, I just have what I want as I only have 1 HEA anyway and am losing. However if I did start to stick I would start measuring it. It's the same with B choices, esp where cereals are concerned as it is so easy to just tip a load into a bowl and scoff away! Also fish and meat as a B choice on a green day should be the raw weight and not cooked weight (cooked weight means you can eat loads more than you should be having!) this catches people out too

Quite right Rachelina - the cooked v. raw thing caught me out too, i was really surprised at the difference!

Back