AAM To Do or Not>?

I am constantly thinking of every situation before I start the diet (SS) but the main thing that I keep thinking about is whether you should do the 4 week, then AAM week.

I know it is recommended.. but if you have a letter from ur GP then you dont have to.

I am worried about being physically hungry again... like i will be in the first week>?

I chose this diet for its rapid results and because i wanted to take the responsibility of food away for a while so I could learn about myself. With lighter life you do 100 days with no food.... but then you always have the concern of being food phobic.

I just dont want to go through the first week of hell..and the next couple of weeks,,, then go bak to square one!

So... I am just asking for your personal experiences... for those who have done AAM and for those who didnt

AAM was one of the main reasons I chose CD over other VLCD's. Figured it was crucial to incorporate food along the journey 'cos we've all got to face those demon's eventually - decided I needed to address my issues as I went along.

I was a bit nervous the first time it came around - like you was worried it would bring back physical hunger, but actually providing you stick to the food/quantities allowed that really doesn't happen. It's taught me so much about portion control and given me the confidence to know I'll manage maintenance.

Absolutely love AAM weeks :D

Hi bigbluefurrymonster,

If you have the okay from your doctor I think do the 100 days...this is my own personal opinion.

I am on AAM this week and finding it tough going...mainly because it knocks me out of ketosis as I am having trouble sticking with the portion size:eek: :rolleyes:

I know I should be a better example...I have not got to goal weight and that is always there and I do like the freedom SSing gives me away from having to make a choice about what to eat...

Having said that I do admire those who can stick to it to the letter.

I started this diet journey on Lipotrim and they don't have AAM it is straight through to goal weight...I lost five stone and then switched over to CD as I was fed up and needed a more flexibly approach and CD offered this.

So I was not trained to do AAM and still in learning mode if you catch my drift.

Hopefully someone who has done AAM from the start can share their experience with you.

Love Mini xxx

I've never done AAM - purely my own personal choice. I wanted a total break from food so I could deeply assess my bad relationship with it and break some bad habits and ingrained associations (boredom = eating, watching a film = eating, stress = eating etc)

AAM is advised on CD so I'd never encourage anyone to follow my example but FOR ME, sticking to the narrow rails of SS was the way forward.

I have done both - gone through without having an AAM week for 10 weeks and then started incorporating my AAM after that.
I was very scared of AAM which is why i missed it out at first. I just didnt think i could control myself.
I started the AAM because i felt stronger and in control - i was also dying to eat something. ;) I lost a further 2 lbs on my AAM week and am no longer afraid of eating after CD.

I think the AAM is a great tool for coping with food after getting to goal. I did LL and didn't eat for 8 months, the result is that i now have major issues with food and binge every few days - i didn't binge before the diet. I was absolutely petrified at my first bit of chicken and just stared at it for ages before putting it to my mouth!!

I'm about to see a dietician to discuss my bingeing as i can't control it myself.

I would recommend you included the AAM week myself.

Let us know what you decide...

I would also recommend doing AAM.

I sarted CD in april...did the usual 4 weeks of SS-ing..then an extra few days as I put off AAM so I could join in a family BBQ..which I did. I throughly enjoyed myself..had some chicken and some salad wasnt at all tempted by all the other bread/cakes etc at the bbq.

I had another few days on aam and then got weighed and was happy to have lost 4lb in aam week. I then got back to ss-ing..no probs. i stayed in ketosis whilst aam-ing..and wasnt any more hungry.I lost 3st3 on cd between april and july(summer hols added a few extra pounds:rolleyes: but I am now back to ss-ing to loose the last 1 1/2 stone and looking forward to my next aam week)
The only prob I did have was the fact that even in just a week I had got used to having a small meal and it did take a few days to get used to just having the packs again.

My SIL did 100days onLL, so without aam and was terrified of eating again, at least aam does give you the chance to experiment with eating, and in my opinion is a worthwhile part of the VLCD journey.

Lou XX

I did AAM and the 2ozs of chicken seemed like heaven. I know it sounds pathetic but I cut mine into tiny pieces with chopped mushrooms and spread them on a small plate. I still managed to loose 4lbs in that week with no problem. I think it gives you something to look forward to

Thanks for your opinions guys... It's nice to hear from experience.

It's also nice for the warnings. I was definitely in fear that once I saw the diet working I would think food is the enemy if I stayed away from it for too long.

And woah Karen... seems u've had it tough! Much admiration for your commitment and good luck with things getting back to normal!

I think that you might learn some new things with the add a meal... Like that you can no longer eat the same amount of food that u used to be capable of?

You might also appreciate every single mouthful... so feel less of a need to eat so much of it!

Who knows hey? Looking forward to my first week of AAM already now! :)

Chicken chicken chicken!!! Can't wait! :)

i never did aam weeks, i did do aam days, one on my birthday and one on my anniversary, and i enjoyed the food but felt like i had eaten a 4 course dinner lol, it took me 30mins ot eat that little bit of chicken and green salad, i didnt not do aam week cos i was scared i just wanted the lose weight faster and not waste that week losing less,

I've done AAM from the beginning and I spent the first 4 weeks really looking forward to it. I don't think I could have gone without it. I also lost 4lbs in aam week and only 2lbs the 2 weeks each side of it so for some people (well, me!!) it can speed up your metabolism a bit and actually help you lose more weight. Or at least that is what my CDC said, I can't say whether that is based on scientific fact. That said, it was quite hard to come off it as I was going from 4 'meals' back to three but if you have the willpower to do SS in the first place (in my case, the day after half a 15" pizza and half a bottle of wine!!) then you should be able to summon it again in the 5th week.

i just wanted the lose weight faster and not waste that week losing less,

Just for the record (in case anyone else is wondering whether to do AAM), you still carry on losing the same amount. AAM usually brings a slightly slower loss followed by a bigger one.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to miss the AAM as long as you are getting monthly checkups with your doctor and are really confident that you can manage food at the end and maintain your weightloss.

I didn't have that sort of confidence:eek:

Just for the record (in case anyone else is wondering whether to do AAM), you still carry on losing the same amount. AAM usually brings a slightly slower loss followed by a bigger one.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to miss the AAM as long as you are getting monthly checkups with your doctor and are really confident that you can manage food at the end and maintain your weightloss.

I didn't have that sort of confidence:eek:

i know your right i just had it in my head it would slow me down and even reading about other people doing aam and having decent losses couldnt convince me, just me being daft i suppose,

Back