AAM

You're supposed to have an AAM week ... and if you don't, you're supposed to get a doctor's letter saying you can carry on SSing. It's a bit of a touchy subject and opinions differ ...

for me PERSONALLY, I didn't do an AAM week for 6 months straight because I knew that the minute I started eating, old demons would be awakened. However, I'd not advise anyone else to follow my lead - it was just a personal choice.

Yes - I am due to do my AAM week in 2 weeks...and already confused!! I'm scared once I start eating...I'll never stop!

You should do AAM every fifth week on the diet and if you don't then you must get your GP to do a letter saying you are OK not to do it, this is in line with the COMA report recommendations from 1987!

The new NICE guidelines which are coming out actually change this to 12 weeks but at present it is every 5th week!

Just for reference AAM does not stop ketosis and doesn't really affect weight loss either and should really be followed to the letter.

Mike

My CDC says I should just keep SSing if I can - she feels it's too hard to get back into SS after eating. I totally agree, and will keep SSing until I need to do an AAM week.... I'm not worried about it taking me out of ketosis, Im just worried it'll stop my motivation!!! :)

xxx

My CDC says I should just keep SSing if I can - she feels it's too hard to get back into SS after eating. I totally agree, and will keep SSing until I need to do an AAM week.... I'm not worried about it taking me out of ketosis, Im just worried it'll stop my motivation!!! :)

xxx

This was how I felt

I feel the same way and have decided to not do AAM week on my fith week. Im on holiday in my sixth, seventh and eight week so have decided to save AAM week for then, if i should need it.

I have done 3 AAM weeks now in total and have had good losses on each of those weeks.
Given the actual amounts of food involved(v.small portions), I think you should definetely do the AAM week. It keeps the system ticking over and helps the body and the digestive process (imho).
The CD for me is all about re-educating myself and having AAM helps me with food control. I was very anxious about my first AAM week and overeating, but its all apart of the education process and so early on in the diet you should have the willpower to succeed. If u do find it hard, this is the place to come!!
Good luck. Play by the rules and you'll get the results!:)

Remember that if you are having a bar, you are eating anyway. You are biting, chewing, digesting etc.

A Cambridge bar has more carbs than the meal on AAM. Probably more calories too!

I always find it strange how people panic over AAM, yet I rarely hear anyone saying "I daren't have a bar....once I start eating, I'll never stop";)

Remember, it's not a negative thing. It's not something you have to do because life is unfair. Besides the health aspect, it a little try at practicing control around normal food.

Get your head around that, and the steps at maintenance will feel a whole load easier.

My CDC told me it was up to me whether I did AAM on the fifth week (this week) but that she never did. She said that her CDC was very strict on everything else but told her not to bother with AAM if she didn't want to.

I made the decision to do AAM this time around because of a bad experience 20 years ago when I never bothered with it due to weight falling off so fast. After 4 months on the diet I went to a restaurant for a meal and was in total agony for over a week because my body could not cope with solid food. The pain was actually in my internal organs. I got over it and there was no permanent damage but I am doing it properly this time round because I still remember the severity of that pain. I never want to go through that again.

I would prefer to be losing weight quicker this week but feel that the increase in calories may lead to a greater loss starting on Thursday week when I go back to SS. (I hope so anyway).

It does sound like some CDCs don't follow Cambridge's advice which is a little confusing and worrying.

I plan on doing the AAM as it is a small step in my re-education of food. I figure it will help to start with portion control, although these are tiny portions, but portions none the less. The lesson is when the food is gone the meal is done...no more! I think you need to do what is best for you but as it is recommended as part of the program I would do it. I agree it is concerning that not all counselors are following their own guidelines.

I was really worried about doing AAM. I thought that once i had eaten 'food' i wouldn't be able to control myself and would want more, at first it was strange but as the week went on i was really glad i had done it and i didn't feel the need for more as i wasn't hungry anyway. (A big step for me as in the past i've eaten regardless of hunger or not)

I was also worried that it would slow my weightloss down, my first AAM i lost 6lb, the second 4lb so it doesn't seem to make a difference to me. I am a stickler for sticking to the exact portions though, so don't know if thats why lol :D

Only you can decide what to do, but i would say have a go, like Karion says when maintenance comes it will be easier if you have already had to do portion control etc.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

I plan on doing the AAM as it is a small step in my re-education of food. I figure it will help to start with portion control, although these are tiny portions, but portions none the less. The lesson is when the food is gone the meal is done...no more! I think you need to do what is best for you but as it is recommended as part of the program I would do it. I agree it is concerning that not all counselors are following their own guidelines.

i absolutely agree....we need to be able to re-learn how to eat healthy and normal portions, its not realistic to stay on a VLCD forever.

Back