About to start SS and worried about being SOCIAL

Harper'sMummy

I am about to start the SS phase and I was wondering how people managed with meals with people (in and out).
I don't want to be a recluse because i am on this diet but wondering how people managed.

Did you just explain the situation and sit out?

I am waiting till after my daughters birthday so I can be assured that there will be no "slip ups" but going no carbs or sugar for a month before I start the diet so the SS isn't such a shock to the system.

Is this a good idea or no?

I think each person is different. I just went cold-turkey. But for some people it's recommended to ease yourself into it. Just make sure its not a delaying tactic.

In terms of being social...it can be a little difficult. It depends on your strength of will. But I've avoided going along to meals out, because I know I wouldn't be able to sit with my shake watching other people eating.

But saying that my friends and family have been very supportive, and we've just tried doing things which don't involve food.

I've made sure to be the designated driver for nights out so I can't drink even if I wanted to.

It is an adjustment. And there have been times when I feel like I've missed out on the social of eating out. But you've just got to remember it's not forever!

Good Luck! xxx

Thanks for your reply... I guess I just have to make sure I have supportive people around me like you did.
I think keeping busy with water and looking like you're not missing out it the main part haha :)

Everyone has a different solution - some people eat something - a salad, others don't go out - its whatever works for you - I just go along and sit and drink water while friends eat/drink. I find it really difficult to restart after a blip (like it took me 2 years and regaining all the weight) before I could get my head back in strict mode-, - so now i'm not stopping for anything - have just got back from a weeks sunny holiday and stuck to 100% SS - I just had my shakes before we went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner and then sat and drank water while my friend ate. It wasn't easy but the more she said - "are you sure you won't eat" the easier it became to smile and say no thanks!! Hope you find the right balance for you!

For me, the first few weeks every time I tried to go out to a meal (for work, for example) I couldn't overcome the temptation, ate terrible things, and ruined at least one week of weightloss, if not putting myself out of ketosis too :(

After a while though, I've gotten used to it, and I'm feeling more determined than ever. So I've found the key to be this: foreplanning!

In general, I avoid any social situation that involves eating if I can. But if it's something important like my best friend's birthday, or a work team meal, I speak to my consultant about it in advance.

If it's at a restaurant, I go online, find the menu for the place I'm visiting (Or even call them and ask for one, if I can't see one on their website!) and I take it to my consultant, and we go through it with a highlighted to see if there's anything that I'm 'allowed' to have/can have without doing any real damage.
If it's something like a BBQ, I speak to her about that, and take my own food with me (like diced chicken breast and green peppers on skewers with some thyme sprinkled on), or if it's a family sit down meal I'll liaise with whoever is doing the cooking in advance and let them know exactly what I'm allowed. If they're family or close friends then surely they will be supportive? Especially if I bring it along already prepared and they just have to whack it in the oven.

I do sole source almost 100% of the time, but if it's a social situation like above, I allow myself the equivalent of a sole source plus meal, so that's my guideline on what I'm 'allowed' if I need to eat socially.

I hope this maybe helps and gives you some ideas! :) :) :) There are no two ways about it, eating socially (and most social events seem to involve eating, to me!!) are a PAIN when on sole source, but they're not just something to be feared and dreaded, they're a challenge and a chance to prove to yourself how strong you are, and how committed you are to that slinky new you that you're heading towards. :)

Thanks for all your helpful comments!

I want to know what I'm doing going into it so I do it right the first time.
Because i'll have my fun then get slim for summer when it's really worth it :)

x

I do sole source almost 100% of the time, but if it's a social situation like above, I allow myself the equivalent of a sole source plus meal, so that's my guideline on what I'm 'allowed' if I need to eat socially.

I hope this maybe helps and gives you some ideas! :) :) :) There are no two ways about it, eating socially (and most social events seem to involve eating, to me!!) are a PAIN when on sole source, but they're not just something to be feared and dreaded, they're a challenge and a chance to prove to yourself how strong you are, and how committed you are to that slinky new you that you're heading towards. :)

You have a very good point!!!

This is where I find this diet a huge pain in the *ss, and it starts me wondering if its the right type of diet for my lifestyle, which is a dangerous train of thought because it always puts me in the mind-set of quitting! I have managed to talk myself out of it a few times, but the weekends are very hard. My hubby and I go out a lot - out for dinner, out partying, out to the cinema - and we don't have kids yet so there's nothing to stop us doing that. The thought of staying in and drinking water for 3 months is depressing!

BUT, short of ditching all your boozy mates for a tree-hugging vegan hermit, you just need to power through it! There is a reason you started on this very extreme journey (and it IS extreme) and that is obviously because you were very unhappy with your weight (for me anyway).

So just try and remember how you felt on the day you finally decided "that's it, I'm going on Cambridge" and cling to that feeling of determination.

For me, I avoid going to the pub because there is no point in going if I can't have a drink, but I still go to other social events and just not eat/drink. Its about picking the ones you think you can handle and avoiding the ones that would prove to be too tempting.

Good luck!

I know what you mean Angela, but I don't think you should ever give up for the reason that it doesn't suit your lifestyle. It's our lifestyles that put us in this mess in the first place! ;) This will give us a chance to help us figure out all the tips and tricks to not be whales because of that lifestyle :D

I've learned to just have water and a Cambridge chocolate chewy bar at the cinema now (I LOVE the cinema, I go a lot), when normally I would have had a hotdog, a GIANT fizzy coke, and a GIANT popcorn. Oh and the icecream :S
It took a whil to get used to, but now it's more about the movie than the food when I go XD

Back