accidental theft?

ColJack

Gold Member
I just checked my recipt from shopping at aldi earlier and I realised that they haven't charged me for 5 of the 6 cartons of milk I bought..
I put all 6 on the belt and she blipped one and passed all 6 down to me to pack, so I assumed that she did the 6x thing before blipping it..

Is it technically theft if I don't go back and pay the difference?

Yes!

I would go back and pay the difference and you will feel better for doing it.:)

This has happened to me before on the self service checkout at Asda.
I did go back in store to the customer services desk and for my honesty she gave me a gift card with £5 on it :) xxx

This has happened to me before on the self service checkout at Asda.
I did go back in store to the customer services desk and for my honesty she gave me a gift card with £5 on it :) xxx

That was really nice!

My husband was given £90 of vouchers in excess of what he paid for and he left the excess back and the general manager made a point of thanking him in person the next time he was in the shop.:)

That was really nice!

My husband was given £90 of vouchers in excess of what he paid for and he left the excess back and the general manager made a point of thanking him in person the next time he was in the shop.:)

Its nice to be honest though. I wouldnt want someone robbing me even if it was accidental. xxx

As a law student I can tell you it is theft. I won't bore you with the details of it ;) But a good lawyer would be able to argue against it.
It's great you consider being so honest, they'll probably reward you for it.

Perhaps! But I hardly think that Aldi will go bankrupt because of it ;)

I would just think of it as karma for anytime you may have been overcharged and not realised :)

When I think of all the times I've checked my receipt when I've got home and been overcharged then no, I wouldn't bother! I now check it in the store and make myself unpopular at the service desk wanting a refund!

If I had noticed when I was there that I had been under charged I would point it out.
If I noticed after I had got back home I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.

I wouldn't say anything.
I'm like Judi - Tesco have overcharged me (usually with bogofs or other such offers) far too many times. I scrutinise my receipt now before I leave store and go straight to the customer service desk.

If I was undercharged and I noticed, I would say but I wouldn't go back.

If it is anything like our Aldi, I am not surprised they make mistakes. The till staff are faster than lightning and you always feel hassled as there is no room to pack your bags. Soon as you have entered your pin, they are putting the next customer's stuff through. Makes your head spin lol

I say sod them! It was their fault, not yours! Maybe I'm mean, but I too have been over charged far too many times to mention.

Back