Addicted!

krupskaya

Gold Member
Hi all,

Well I gave up smoking 5 months ago using nicotine gum and all has gone smoothly except for the fact that I'm now addicted to the gum! It is soooo expensive and I just can't keep paying for it anymore. I chew in excess of 15 pieces a day which is way too much. I suspect it's not exactly helping my weight loss either (even though it's sugar free it still has peppermint oil in it).

I've decided tomorrow is 'D Day' and I'm going to go cold turkey. I've tried cutting down and it just doesn't work for me. It's all or nothing. I'm really nervous about giving it up - scared I might go back on the fags. Scared how I'll cope without it too as like the fags it is a real crutch.

Just looking for some support and any words of wisdom out there...

It is an amazing achievement packing in the fags WELL DONE. If you feel you need some help why not try the low dose of patches for a while. Its much cheaper than fags anyway. I always see the gum in Home Bargains for £1.49 if you have on near you

Thanks Peggypig. No, there's no Home Bargains in my city (Swansea). Wish there was, £1.49 is awesome! I honestly feel more apprehensive about giving up the gum than I did giving up smoking! I'm definitely going to try a low dose patch though - I need all the help I can get.

i gave up 15 months ago after smoking 30 a day for years, it is well worth it but very hard, i used the loal no smoking nurse give you gum, patches etc etc. I havent wavered since i stopped although i still like the smell. Good on you for deciding to give up, wishing you all the best liz

Thanks Peggypig. No, there's no Home Bargains in my city (Swansea). Wish there was, £1.49 is awesome! I honestly feel more apprehensive about giving up the gum than I did giving up smoking! I'm definitely going to try a low dose patch though - I need all the help I can get.
Home Bargains is in Fforestfach and Llansamlet, if you drive, hope this helps.

Home Bargains is in Fforestfach and Llansamlet, if you drive, hope this helps.

I've never seen one in Fforestfach, whereabouts is it hel?

It's ok, I've looked it up on their website and there's one in the city centre too (parc tawe). Great - bargains here I come!

tOtally agree with the low dose patches. I used to press mine if I had a bad craving-It made me feel better-like a release button.Didn't do anything extra but made me feel I was in control!You can get from the doctor .

Well done you for going without fags for 5 months, i started to give up i managed 3 weeks, but dieting and abstaining from fags was just too much so i went back on the dreaded fags.
Once i have got to target i will really try hard to stop smoking again.
I know how you feel its so hard, at the moment im more focused on losing weight.
Good luck with it :0)

Well done! I gave up smoking years ago and I am so relieved that I was able to. One of the toughest addictions there is.

For those who keep stopping and starting - we all do that for a while I think. When I had finally made up my mind, for real, I just got on with it, cutting down day by day until I got to no fags at all. No gum or patches or anything like that. Just gradual nicotine withdrawal.

It is so worth it.

girlygirl - fantastic you gave up like that, I would have been lost without the nicotine replacement therapy. Using that I didn't find it that hard tbh. It's just now when I've got to let go of my safety blanket (the gum) that I'm finding it soooo difficult. Maybe I should at least try cutting down on that first...

Thankyou for all your lovely replies peeps, I suppose I haven't really given myself any credit for booting the evil weed. I should do really as I was on forty a day (no joke) and chainsmoking too. Plus I gave up at around the same time I started SW...Now I've just got the final hurdle to clear and kick out the NRT.

Why not swap every other piece of gum with normal sugar free I should imagine chewing Is now a habit too! Well done on giving up, if it wasn't for my body rejecting it whilst pregnant I don't think I could have done it!

I've never smoked so I don't know what it's like to quit.. Other than it's difficult! Lol. Congrats on stopping :)

This might be a really stupid suggestion, but have you thought about alternating between normal sugar free gum & nicotine gum? Slowly go add more normal & less nicotine, that might help with the nicotine side of things. Then come off the normal sugar free slowly :)

Thanks Shirleen and Gemmy, I actually hadn't thought of doing that. Sounds like a really good tactic. I'm not dreading it half as much now so thankyou.

Why not swap every other piece of gum with normal sugar free I should imagine chewing Is now a habit too! Well done on giving up, if it wasn't for my body rejecting it whilst pregnant I don't think I could have done it!

Lol, I didn't see you'd written the same thing! Great minds & all that ;) x

That is because the gum has become your crutch, your ability to stop. The second stage is scarier.

You are so dedicated to have gone 5 months without
and I think the patches might help as they will feed your need for a crutch until you are able to walk unaided.

I gave up after smoking for 40 years and it wasone of the best things I have ever done.
Why not swap every other piece of gum with normal sugar free I should imagine chewing Is now a habit too
Good thinking Shirleen.

Good luck. I hope you make it.

Aaaw thanks Sue. I'm so glad I posted here - have got some fab suggestions and support. Thankyou everyone!

It's ok, I've looked it up on their website and there's one in the city centre too (parc tawe). Great - bargains here I come!
I,m glad you found it, and thanks for finding the Parc Tawe store, i didnt know about that one, I gave up smoking on March 1st, and still not over it. Good luck on your journey. Catch you later.

Well done to you too hel (and thanks for the tip about HB), keep on keeping on. Fillymum can be our inspiration - 40 years and she gave up - wowser!

Back