Adjusting to new glasses?

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi all,

I was just wondering how long it takes you to adjust to new glasses?

I picked up my new glasses last night (same prescription, but they're semi-rimless instead of rimmed), and I put them on to have them adjusted and they felt weird straight away. I left them off last night and put them on this morning, and I'm still finding the left lens quite swimmy. I have quite a strong prescription in the left eye, and I think there's an adjustment for astigmatism in that eye.

How long should I give them to settle down? As I wear glasses all the time I need them to be right! :sigh: Could it just be that it will take me time to adjust to a new style as I've never had semi-rimless glasses before?

I wasn't really intending on wearing these full time, more for going out or depending what I'm wearing (they're red/wine frames with white arms - so they won't match everything :)), but if it's going to take me a while to get used to them I may have to.

Sian xx

Hi,

When I was in college I worked as a receptionist in an Opticians, and generally anyone who had a problem with their new glasses would be in a day or two after they picked them up! If you're unsure, perhaps you should phone and ask to speak to the optician just to verify if there has been a big adjustment in your left lens, and he should be able to tell you if it's normal to find them so different. If you still find them to be like this after about 5 days to a week, I would go back in to be rechecked!

Hi,

When I was in college I worked as a receptionist in an Opticians, and generally anyone who had a problem with their new glasses would be in a day or two after they picked them up! If you're unsure, perhaps you should phone and ask to speak to the optician just to verify if there has been a big adjustment in your left lens, and he should be able to tell you if it's normal to find them so different. If you still find them to be like this after about 5 days to a week, I would go back in to be rechecked!

Thankyou. The optician who made up my glasses was the one who was doing the adjustments on the arms last night. He said they've been made up to the same prescription as my other pair of glasses, so I don't know :confused:

I think I'll try to give them to the middle of next week, as if there needs to be any adjustments I'll still have time before I go back to work in September :)

The swimmy feeling is just so annoying! Lol! xx

A couple of days at most for me. I do find my eyes are a bit weird after changing glasses, even if the prescription is the same.

I get the swimmy feeling just changing mine over (I'm vain I have pairs of different colours for different outfits)!

But new glasses I give a week, most of the time it's finding the new 'vision point' (can't think of a better description), if your old glasses were smaller of larger then the 'spot' will be in a different place.

Try wearing them lower or higher up your nose, if that helps then you may need a change of nose pad or an adjustment to the arms,

Hope that helps!

Oh and another tip....wear the new glasses when you get up in the morning, it's easier to adjust to than swapping them over during the day, I don't know why!

Hey :)

I work in an opticians and I'd definitely say give it about a week

When I got my new spex I'd never had any astigmatism before but have now got a tiny bit in my right eye and it totally threw me, I thought my eyes were being pulled all over the place!!

The advice about putting them on first thing in the morning is pretty spot on, I can't handle the change between my old and new spex

Hope it works out ok for you :)

x x

Thank you all for the responses :) I'm going to give it 5 days to a week I think, as the blurriness when I move my head quickly is already driving me insane, lol! It's never taken me this long to get used to a pair of glasses...and considering the prescription is the same I'm just finding it a bit unusual :)

Thanks for your advice all :) xx

A few days. I changed from round ones to rectangular ones and had to get used to above and below my normal vision being blurry. Fine now though.

Sometimes you never do Sian!

My last lost of varifocals cost £160 + the allowance work paid towards them etc.

I had tried varifocal before without liking them - I need them for up close reading as well as normal distance.

Waste of time and money.

I decided to wear contacts and they are fantastic. For up close cheap readers do just fine.

I just knew I wouldn't get away with those new ones (varificals) after a couple of weeks. Just wished I'd saved the money!

Sometimes you never do Sian!

My last lost of varifocals cost £160 + the allowance work paid towards them etc.

I had tried varifocal before without liking them - I need them for up close reading as well as normal distance.

Waste of time and money.

I decided to wear contacts and they are fantastic. For up close cheap readers do just fine.

I just knew I wouldn't get away with those new ones (varificals) after a couple of weeks. Just wished I'd saved the money!

My mum had problems with her first set of varifocals, and never got on with them, but has been fine ever since!

I think I'm quite sensitive to small variations in size etc. Hopefully they'll settle down, but if not the opticians I go to are always very helpful :)

My nightmare would be to have to get rid of them...I love them! They've got sparkly bit on! :D:D:D I'm such a girl, lol!

Well it's day two of full time wear and they're not really improving. Every time I move my head, quickly or not, it takes a few seconds for me to be able to focus properly through the left lens. And I'm sure they're giving me headaches :sigh: Roll on next week when I can take them back to the opticians!

Ive got fed up of looking round for my specs to read anything, so Ive decided to try contacts on trial I get them on Tuesday cant wait I did want daillies but will have to have monthlies.

Wow Sian - Sparklies! woo hoo;)

PeggyPig - good luck with the CL's - they are great (so long as you can get on with them - I know some people can't).

I have daily disposables (3rd month now) but am switching to monthlies.

Steve

I really hope I do get on with them, Im fed up of specs or should I say loooking for them..Im not squeamish about putting them in the optician said they should solve my problems so fingers crossed for Tuesday.If I like them it will be another monthly bill but worth it.

I loved my contacts, but gave them up as my Office had fierce air con. Not in my office anymore so maybe I should go back!

Back