Admitting I need to change

Hello, slimming newbie here please be gentle!

So, its taken me getting very poorly to recognise that I can't keep pretending that my weight is not an issue, a contributing factor. Don't get me wrong it hasn't stopped me in the pursuit of getting good jobs or going out with friends. However I now feel a sense of shame rather than defiance. I want to get healthier. I want to live a different life.

I have met several people who have found success with Slimming World and so on Monday I am going to bite the bullet and join

To say I am scared in an understatement. I know my weight, letting someone else in on the secret is making me want to cry. It has to be done though.

I hope this forum can be of some support, and I look forward to being inspired, encouraged and tempted

Weight is like your age, it's just a number, try not to be ashamed of it.

You've made a big decision, of course it's scary, but it's a positive step, so try not to be daunted by the big numbers and break it down into little half stone awards, just keep working towards the next one... then the next one. :) The SW plan is great, there's no need to ever be hungry and once you're in the right frame of mind and you get started you will wonder why you ever worried.

Good luck. :) x

Hi

I'm not Slimming World any more, but I had your exact reaction when I made a decision to loose weight last year. I was fed up of being defensive to my friends and family about my weight, fed up of feeling crap about it basically. So I did something about it and life has changed for the better. Slimming World is a healthy plan and if it appeals to you I encourage you to stick with it.

If you haven't done already I encourage you to seek out other blogs to give you support. There are a lot of people who've lost and kept off similar weight to you. Good Luck! :)

The first step in your journey is joining and that is your intention on Monday. It's normal to feel apprehensive but any SW consultant worth their salt is not going to judge you, no matter what you weigh, they are there to make you feel welcome and to offer guidance and support. They won't tell you how much you weigh, they will just write it down.

You need to focus on this new chapter on your life with a positive attitude and make it about you, you're not doing it to make everyone else happy, it has to be 100% for you. Now the weekend is here sit down and write down a list of all the reasons why you want to do this and what you want to do when you reach your goal and keep this. When times get challenging for you (and we all have them) get this list out and remind yourself why you are on this journey. Also I would recommend that you measure yourself now and write this down too. When you have weeks where you think things may be slow or you can't see your body changing. Get the tape measure back out and see the differences.

The other thing I would recommend is to set yourself small goals (half a stone at a time). You could reward yourself for every stone you lose. Also, don't keep weighing yourself. Once a week is adequate. Good luck with everything on Monday, read everything cover to cover and yes, you can eat that much! Let us know how you get on :D

Last edited:
im so proud of you for making these steps!!

its more like a family here than anything else, we will tell you truths even if it hurts, but we will also be available for cuddles and support when you need it most.

massive respect to you lady, walk in that class with your head held high determined to make a difference to your life.

:party0019:

Thank you all for the support and guidance, and some great tips. Breaking the total into small achievable steps sounds like the first thing I need to do, and non food rewards a great incentive.
I have started exploring the site and other blogs, I hope my willpower doesnt fail me

So, its taken me getting very poorly to recognise that I can't keep pretending that my weight is not an issue, a contributing factor. Don't get me wrong it hasn't stopped me in the pursuit of getting good jobs or going out with friends. However I now feel a sense of shame rather than defiance. I want to get healthier. I want to live a different life.

I have met several people who have found success with Slimming World and so on Monday I am going to bite the bullet and join

To say I am scared in an understatement. I know my weight, letting someone else in on the secret is making me want to cry. It has to be done though.

I hope this forum can be of some support, and I look forward to being inspired, encouraged and tempted

Honestly you have made the best choice and done the hard bit already :) We have similar starting weights and goals and I was never ashamed for people to know how heavy I am. There are bigger people than me at the group but I think everyone has been judged at some point in their life for being overweight so we are all in it together.

Everyone wants everyone else to do brilliantly and have a good week and you will find lots of people on this forum are rooting for you too so just be who you are and be brilliant <3

Good luck - you wont regret walking in to that meeting and I'm sure you'll get a lovely warm welcome.

It may take a little while to get your head round the plan but will soon become second nature. This site is invaluable too - ask as many questions as you like

I have met several people who have found success with Slimming World and so on Monday I am going to bite the bullet and join 

I hope this forum can be of some support, and I look forward to being inspired, encouraged and tempted 
Wishing you the best of luck.....please come on here regularly the support is amazing....take it one day at a time and just keep going you will get there

Back