Adopting a rescue dog

I don't see how your living situation is too different to mine when I got a dog, & I got him from the RSPCA - who are the toughest to get a dog from around here. We have some shelters that don't even bother doing checks!

I think I mentioned in my post before that when my OH & I got our dog, we were unmarried, living in rented accommodation, he with no previous dog experience & me with a family dog - which was returned by my mum!

This is outrageous &, like you say, it's no real surprise that the place is full of pups needing a good home! I hope they fire her, she isn't doing the animals any good. I also really hope that you are able to take this pup home. You've fought more than most people have to & that really shows something! No one would go this far unless they really wanted to take care of him.

Good luck with getting him, it sounds like he needs you and that this woman is letting some personal issue (and gawd knows what her issue is as I can't see one myself) cloud her judgement. Stay calm on Friday and make some notes beforehand so you can remember everything that you want to say xxx

We got our dog from Battersea Dogs Home, and we didn't have any questions like this. We had to actually go to Battersea for an interview, and then we had a homevisit to check that we were suitable (we live in an upstairs maisionette) and then we just had to wait till a dog came up that we liked, and that they thought were suitable! Molly's been with us for nearly 6 years, and the only people who have ever questioned us having her, are neighbours who don't like dogs and who thought she was a Pitball! (She's a Staffie, did she really think that A) Battersea would "adopt" out Pitballs <cos as far as I am aware, they don't!> and B) I'd put my children at risk with a dog like that? I think not!)

Have you thought about going to a different rescue centre, instead of this place?

I have tried the only other one in my area, but I do not agree with their pricing policy, and they haven't had any dogs in which I like, and I've been visiting for several months. Unfortunately I am out of the catchment area for rspca and dogs trust.

Getting a bit fed up of the whole process now. So I aim to go in on Friday if I get chance and speak to someone. Otherwise, guess I will have to move on, as the volunteers weren't very helpful when I spoke to them last :(

Just read this thread with interest and I'm shocked!! This lady has a Really big chip on her shoulder!!

We went into our local dogs trust not last Sunday but the Sunday before, mainly for a nosey, but fell in love with a pup that had come in the day before as part if a
Litter.

Anyway, we enquired about adopting her, filled in a questionnaire and had a talk with one of the volunteers there, discussed house training behaviour etc.

We then reserved her, they came tues to do a home visit, we had to register her at a vets and at a training class, and I went in last we'd for a puppy talk and brought her home with me then.

They've rung me twice since to check shes settled ok etc, bit other than that, the whole process from walking into dogs trust to bringing her home took 4 days. And bear in mind there me, my OH and 2 girls aged 6 and 18 months!!

I think that woman needs to revaluate her way of thinking otherwise these pups are never going to find new homes!!

GL and please keep us updated xx

Awww sweetheart this is bloody ridiculous but unfortunately it happens all the time, its happened to friends of mine and its all wrong.
We have 3 rescue dogs and we had no trouble at all getting them.

Have you looked on the net at breed rescues theres loads but i know you have fallen in love with the lil dude you have seen.

I do hope you get him. Im sending positive vibes and lots of love to you.

Good luck xx :sigh:

Ok, there's being concerned, there's being thorough and doing the job right and then there's being downright absurd-which is exactly what this lady is being.
Get your butt down there on Friday and complain like you have never complained before. How on earth do they expect to re home animals with this woman and the enormous chip on her shoulder working there? Her attitude is archaic and frankly, stinks!

Ok, there's being concerned, there's being thorough and doing the job right and then there's being downright absurd-which is exactly what this lady is being.
Get your butt down there on Friday and complain like you have never complained before. How on earth do they expect to re home animals with this woman and the enormous chip on her shoulder working there? Her attitude is archaic and frankly, stinks!

Totally agree. That behaviour is not in the dog's best interest. Somebody needs to remind her that the best place for a dog is a loving home, not a shelter.

I have tried the only other one in my area, but I do not agree with their pricing policy, and they haven't had any dogs in which I like, and I've been visiting for several months. Unfortunately I am out of the catchment area for rspca and dogs trust.

Getting a bit fed up of the whole process now. So I aim to go in on Friday if I get chance and speak to someone. Otherwise, guess I will have to move on, as the volunteers weren't very helpful when I spoke to them last :(

What a shame it has done this to you. Some deserving pooch is going to miss out if you are unable to adopt.

I like the idea of you looking at breed rescue societies.

A family in our circle of friends took a rescue dog from such a society, she is a lurcher and one of the most friendly and grateful creatures I have had the pleasure to meet.
A friend of mine who lives in Germany gave an ex-laboratory beagle a loving home. It was hard work to begin with as this poor beagle never learnt any normal doggy social skills. But with patience they have managed and they are now a fab team. :)
I am convinced one lucky dog will soon move in with you. Somewhere out there is an extra special doggy waiting just for you.
Jill xx

What's the latest on the Rescue Dog. We got our dog from Foal Farm in Biggin Hill. They are terrific. We paid £160 for her which included her neutering when she reached 6months.

We looked at Foal Farm, before going to Battersea, Tara!

i looked at Battersea too. But Foal Farm was the easiest to get puppies from. As we had a 4 year old at the time we wanted to get a younger dog.

I have just thought, we lived out the area of Foal Farm so they arranged a home visit from the local rescue centre to us, which was Raysteade.
good luck

Hey. Unfortunately I never got chance to go in yesterday, as its only open 9:30-12:30, then 2:30-3:30, and I was busy driving a van, moving fridge freezer, cabinets, beds, boxes, a marine tank, plants and all sorts of other really really fun things that don't weigh a tonne... :(

I'm going to call the rescue centre direct on Monday morning (after 9:30, of course...), and see what they have to say. Unfortunately, if I don't get a satisfactory reply, I'll have to go in. I don't want to, as I don't like causing a fuss or coming across as a spoilt brat. Or getting upset. I either get annoyed, or cry. I'm pretty useless like that.

But anyways, yeah, thats the low down so far. Not much to report, other than a bad back and sore arms!

Haha thanks! My boss' husband has just offered to do the same, oddly enough!

Going to play it by ear, see what happens. If worst comes to worst, they will be reported to the local paper, and any other organisation which will listen to me :D

The woman is ridiculous and obviously has some real issues of her own. Good luck let us know how you get on

It's like talking to a brick wall! Spoken to someone higher up (apparently) on the phone, who pretty much agrees with what the housing woman says - 'relationships when you're young often don't last, and the dog ends up back here'....

He is going to speak to the housing woman, but I mean, lordy! What is the darn point?! I find it incredibly upsetting as I'm 26 and in a new (but great) relationship, and this is being held against me, and people who don't even know me are suggesting it's going to end! No matter how many times I tell them the dog is MINE, not OURS, they will not listen, and seem desperate to get me off the phone :(

Called the vets, who pointed me towards some other rescue centres. They are well over an hour away though, nearly 100 mile round trip, so I don't think a home visit would be possible :(

Bummed out now, and pretty much convinced I ain't getting the dog. Its been nearly 4 weeks and no home visit, let alone anything else. I will await a phone call, and I guess I'll have to go back in on Friday. But I hate creating a fuss when nobody seems to listen, or care. It's like swimming against the tide. They said they are redoing (or whatever the word is) their homing process, but everything seems to be separate, different departments under different people. I guess that is because it is a charity. Must get the local paper, see if there is any small places listed in there.....

How sad for the little collie and how frustrating for you.

as i said before, because i got my baby girl from a place quite far from my home, they arranged a home visit from another rescue centre.
what about your local vets, do they have any access to rescue homes.

Back