Adopting a rescue dog

Already rang the vets, they can't help me much, other than provide me with some names. Dogs Trust have confirmed I'm outside the catchment area for them. There's another two possible ones, roughly 50 miles away, unfortunately in opposite directions! I'll keep on looking, but I did really like that one :( But I will wait and see if I hear from them. And if not, I will consider taking things further.

i've sent you a pm xx

You poor thing :(

From past experience, i wanted to rehome a cat. I lived in a flat with a garden so i phoned them and said i would prefer a cat who was mainly indoors but there was access to outside if they wanted (i was groundfloor). And that i wanted to give an older cat a home. Not a kitten. So they send a lady round to do a home check. And she was SO rude. I was 21, in a good job, single, family owned my flat, and i had pets all my life. And again...all she was interested in was my relationships. "Oh but if you get a boyfriend the cat will be ignored". I fought and fought for ages and never got a cat. I ended up rehoming a cat my friend found (Who had been dumped in the river).

Now i work in a vets, been here 2 years. And 3 months ago who came in? THe lady from the cat protection league...the one who had given me my home visit. Now im 27 now with my own family..she didnt recognise me. but i recognised her. So she starts up a convo with me while shes waiting for her appt about how awful it is there are so many cats needing homes and how ppl just arent willing to rehome older animals...just want kittens. Well that was it for me! I said to her "I met you before. About 5/6 years ago i wanted to adopt an older cat and u refused me on the grounds i "Might get a boyfriend". I told her with an attitude like that, its no wonder older animals struggle to get homes. She was mortified and kept saying she must of been "Having a bad day". Yeah..having a bad day that continued for the few months i fought to try and re home a cat!!

I have no doubt she cared about cats but it was her own personal beleifs (i guess that all young ppl care about is boys!) that stopped an older cat getting a happy home to live out his final years. Least she had the decency to look ashamed.

Stay strong, plenty of other places will help you! Our rehoming centre asks nothing like that....they ask if you have kids (so they dont rehome an animal to you who dislikes kids), if your property is owned or rented, and your proof of identity and 2 utility bills. I work in a vets and its so sad how many animals we see that are homeless....shes disgusting for treating you like that!!! Lodge a complaint, shes not even given you a chance! xxx

I really dislike the attitude that disregards younger people for something that takes a bit of responsibility. Age does not automatically make someone a suitable person for animal adoption. It is so biased to think so.

I have young friends who I would trust with any of my animals any day before trusting some of the folks of my own generation.

Dedication, love, responsibility and loyalty have nothing to do with age.

When we used to travel to shows all over Spain. I never worried bout the legions of animals I left at home in the care of a 22 year old and her boyfriend. They lived in and did an amazing job.

If you lived here Tinytootz you would have your dog no problem.

i had my own horses when i was a teenager and they were well looked after and never neglected.

My son looked after his own ponies from being 7 years old.......he mucked them out and exercised them and is now a responsible adult, married with kids and in a good job.

His age has never stopped him from being more adult than most adults.

Wish I could speak to the lady at the rescue centre though she probably thinks she is doing the right thing and just looking out for the dogs........misguided lady.

I keep coming back to read this thread to see how you're getting on, but seeing as I know absolutely nothing about rehoming animals I don't really feel like I can offer you any advice.

But I cannot believe that it's not just one person with this bad attitude, and that you've had the same response from someone 'higher up' as well! Absolutely appalling. You can understand their concern if you'd admitted to a string of ex-boyfriends over the last ten years, not one of them lasting more than five minutes, but it's just shocking that they've dismissed you essentially because you have a boyfriend?!

I'd be tempted to stick a ring on my finger and tell them I was married, see if that made any difference to their attitude. Though it's probably a bit late now as they presumably know you and your situation by now..!

Really hope you manage to find somewhere that will treat you with a bit more respect.

It wouldn't be so bad if I was 17, but I'm 26, it's hardly in the young stakes anymore!

But we have a positive update!

Went to the rescue centre, saw the Collie I wanted, and noticed someone else complaining about the rehoming lady to an older guy, so I left them to it. The Collie I want is with his brother, and they are saying they can't be split, which is daft in my opinion, as all pups have brothers and sisters, but anyhoo. So I went to the other rescue place, and there was a pretty Collie, mainly white face. Shy little guy, came from a home who couldn't have him anymore, so some details were known on him. Travels well, likes other dogs, kids and cats, and is chipped. So, £10 deposit paid, I even stuck the reserved sticker on myself, and I will have a home visit within the week!

One thing I noticed, I have visited both rescue centres several times over the past 3 months or so. The same dogs are at the one I am having issues with, totally different dogs at the other one, 40% already with reserved stickers on. No questions regarding my relationship status, just if I had kids, a fenced area outside, what my job was, and if I had dogs before.

Still fond of the other Collie, but I can't really take on two, and it obviously wasn't meant to be. I will still be writing them a letter of complaint though :)

Yay! So glad this has had a happy outcome for you!

Please, please do note your concerns and let us know if you get a response!

Let us know how your little fella does when he joins ya! Xx

Great news - enjoy your dog and give him a big hug from me when you get him xxx

I am thrilled for you !!! But feel so angry that the other little dog has missed out on a home because of some stupid, stupid person.

Yey, a rehoming centre with some sense, the other obviously had none. Still complain and let us know how you get on with both your new dog and the complaint

Typical! I have a missed call from the housing lady for the original collie! Called back but no reply. As far as I was aware, the pup can't be split from its brother, so it's not the end of the world. But if they decide it can be split, I'm in a right situation! Darn it.......

Oh dear, this could get difficult! Good luck and I hope you bring one home soon as they bring so much into your life xxx

Hope all is resolved soon.

Home check just done for the second Collie, and I pick him up this week! Still never heard from the first Collie, I've left 2 voice messages for the homing lady and the centre itself, and nothing. Poor wee bugger and his brother are destined to remain there till they sort themselves out :(

Sadly I don't think you can help the first dog (although I think I'd still be inclined to see if a local paper would run a story just to make them re-evaluate their poor rehoming policies and practices) but good luck with your new little man this week xxxx

That is one lucky dog. What a shame the first one will never have the chance of having you as his owner/mum.
I agree that the lady who has held back the chance for him to be owned and loved should be exposed.How many more dogs has she done this too and will continue to do it to if she is not stopped.

I am all for the being careful and doing home checks. I think it is essential but to do it to this totally blinkered extent is ridiculous.

Back