Advice for slow cooker virgin please :)

Malaguti

Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a slow cooker for ages and especially now that the weather is turning colder.

The main thing that's always stopped me from getting one is the thought that the whole house will smell of whatever has been cooking for days afterwards.

We live in a one bedroom house and every dinner I cook seems to want to 'hang around' for ages in smell terms :)

How do you guys with slow cookers find it? And apologies if this is a really stupid question :eek:

Hi there. I don't personally have a slow cooker but I'm a bit confused about why you think the food smells will linger around the whole house for days? As I understand it, it is an enclosed unit so there's no reason any smells should get out :confused:

I don't know - a work collegue always used to go on about the lovely smell that greets her when she has things in the slow cooker.

You make a good point though - maybe I'm thinking of a pressure cooker then.

Not that I've ever used one of those before either but remember from my childhood days (particularly smells)

Feel like a right dimbo now :)

*runs off to local supermarket to look for bargain slow cooker* :character00201:

No - don't feel like a dumbo! Wait until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along ;) The board is a bit quiet at the weekend but eventually you'll get a reply from someone who actually owns one :)

Hi malaguti, I have and love my slow cooker, use it about 2 - 3 times a week.

I live in a bungalow and have no problem with lingering smells.

Asda are doing a slow cooker for under a tenner,

My advise.... for that price get one, use it a few times and see how it goes.

I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

I did post a few slow cooker recipies a while back.

Thanks lesserme - under £10 - I'll def. give that a go then. Be rude not to for that money :)

Can't wait to be able to transform cheap cuts of meat into something buttery and tasty for dinner.....:bliss:

Under a tenner, it would be rude for me not to buy one also. I'm also a slow cooker virgin who has often wondered about getting one x

Oh good, glad to see I'm not the only SC virgin here :)

Be great to reduce the arguments between me and OH about whose turn it is to cook on any given night of the week as well (seems to be my turn from monday through sunday at the mo lol)

I love my slow cooker and use it all the time, cassoroles and curries tastes really good because the meat is cooked long and slow, and it's ideal for workers, just put your ingredients in the cooker turn it on and when you get home from work you have a lovely meal all ready and waiting for you.

There is just one thing I will say - make sure you get one with a thermastat on, mine only has high, low, and warm which is adequate, but some only have one heat and your food could stick or burn at the bottom, so just be aware of that.

Enjoy your slow cooker - you certainly won't regret buying one.

I have a slow cooker - had it for yonks, the handle has broken off the lid but its still doing it job! I have mine all set up in the morning and plugged into a timer switch so it comes on about lunchtime then by the time I get home it smells divine and is almost cooked. I did lamb cutlets in mine yesterday and often do a casserole - I tend to use the Colmans packet mixes, usually about 6-8 syns for the whole thing so shared is quite good.

Wednesday is always slow cooker night as we are in and out so much that evening it simplifies things.

For under £10 its got to be a bargain, think mine was just under £20 but its a family size one and its easily 5 years old so worth every penny.

Slow cookers are excellent and the food smells don't hang around for any longer than if you made a casserole in the oven in a couple of hours or if you made anything in the oven to be fair. Crack a window when you get in if you don't like the smells and you'll be fine. They don't like 'infuse' into your house or anything because it's been cooking for so long if that's what you're wondering. You don't get any steam because it all cooks at a steady pace slowly throughout the day.

I have just invested in one since joining SW and love it...tonight we have chicken and sausage caserole. Smells lovely and then only one pot to wash up...

Anybody use their slow cooker for non-meat dishes? I've often wondered if it's worth getting one if you're not going to making stews etc.

I love doing rice pud in mine, had one today. Saves time and space in the oven. I don't like the texture of chicken pieces in there, love whole ones. Just had a thought, will dif out timer switch and see if it helps:D

They don't like 'infuse' into your house or anything because it's been cooking for so long if that's what you're wondering. You don't get any steam because it all cooks at a steady pace slowly throughout the day.

That's exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest on that point!!

Funny how the smells didn't bother me so much anymore though once I heard I could get a slow cooker for under £10........:giggle:

Well, my cat is back and demanding to sit on my lap so I'll say goodnight and thank you for now. :kitty:

Have a great slow cooking and on plan start to the new week everyone :)

Back