Advice needed from slow cooker experts

Discussion in 'SW Winter Warmer Recipes' started by Spid, 19 July 2011 Social URL.

1. Spid

Spid Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming world
    I have bought a slow cooker recently and have used it a couple of times now. I love it and the food has come out yummy.

I'm having a problem with thickening stew in it, I tried cornflour today and it didn't go well. The pot was pretty full and I put water in it to just cover the food. The cornflour just added syns it didn't thicken the sauce at all. I left it to cook for a good half hour after adding the cornflour too.

Is there anything else low-ish in syns I could use to thicken a stew? Am I just putting too much liquid in? Is there a certain way of using cornflour to get a nice thick sauce?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. dudette2001uk

dudette2001uk I will be a Princess!

Start Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I haven't actually used my slow cooker yet as only bought it yesterday, but could you try adding instant mash powder to it to thicken it? Some of these are syn free so wouldn't add any extra syns :) xx

4. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Could be too much liquid - if adapting a standard recipe only use half the amount given

Taking off the lid for the last part of cooking will also help and as said a little powdered mash is a good thickener and syn free on green and EE unlike cornflour

5. Crumble

Crumble One day at a time

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think that circes is probably right, too much water. It doesn't evaporate in the same way so you need much less. ;) Trial and error with slowcookers but they are fantastic once you've found your way with them.

BTW the cornflour works great when you have lesser liquid. Mix mine with a little cold water and stir in and immediately thickens it. The mash idea is an excellent one, too. :)

6. hazysummer

hazysummer Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    depending what's in the stew you can take out some potatoes/ carrots / onions or even meat and puree it with a hand blender, then add it back to your sauce to thicken it too - syn free

7. Crumble

Crumble One day at a time

Start Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    good idea hazy. ;) I do it with soup, never thought of doing the same with stew.

8. Spid

Spid Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming world
    Thanks everyone for some great advice and suggestions. :)

9. missyheidi

missyheidi Member

Hey, i use mine occaionally and only use about half (if that) of recommended water for sachets of flavourings eg chicken casserole. Works wonders. Good luck! Xx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.