Advice Needed Please

darkcookie

Can anyone please help me.

I am on SW and doing very well, my daughter wishes to loose a few lbs only she doen't eat any of the following: Fruit, Veg, or Fibre, all of which I eat.

SW is the only way I know how to eat healthily and I am having problems coming up with meal ideas for my daughter as she doesn't eat anything I make which is SW friendly.

Her packed lunch consists of: Tortilla Wraps with Cheese & Mayo, packet of crisps & chocolate Bar. (she got bored of rolls & sandwiches!)

Tea Consists of: mainly frozen Chips & pizzas

Help needed please

Regards

Lyn

How old is your daughter?

If she really wants to diet then you can get wholemeal wraps and you can get smaller sized ones too. She can still have her cheese but use Cathedral City Lighter and Hellmans Light Mayo. Obviously the wholemeal wraps aren't on Slimming World but would be better for her than the big flat white ones.

Give her a packet of Walker's French Fries (4.5 syns) and a Finger of Fudge (5 syns) or a treat size chocolate bar (3-4 syns) or an Alpen Light choc orange or choc fudge (3 syns or 1/2 a HEb)

And I had a pizza last night for dinner, made with wholemeal bread mix. She could get into making this with you, preparing her own syn free toppings and things, and make her some Slimming World chips!

She doesn't have to follow the plan, but there are definite tweaks you could make. And maybe even slowly introduce some fruit like, by buying those Del Monte pineapple ice lollies which are purely frozen pineapple on a stick, or the kiddie packets of fruit.

Also, heinz Hidden Veg range is mostly free, so hidden veg hoops and beans will help her get some fibre into her.

Your daughter is at serious risk of health problems if she doesnt eat any fruit or vegetables! Give her the meals that you eat - tell her she needs to eat them to stay healthy as a bonus she will loose weight!

If she likes spag bog then when you make your passata, also boil finely diced carrots, onions and celery til soft, put them in a blender with your passata and make your own hidden veg bolognese. Blending fruit is forboden on SW, but blending veg isn't!!

Smoothies are also fun for kids, vanilla Muller Light, a splash of skimmed milk, some ice cubes and strawberries, raspberries and an apple - and she could feel 'naughty' having something mummy isn't allowed?

Yoghurt/scan bran chocolate cake instead of the crisps/chocolate? wholemeal pitta instead of tortilla wraps. Pasta topped with baked beans & cheese (if she won't eat a hm tomato sauce) & chicken breast with savoury rice for dinners?
Is there a medical reason she doesn't eat fruit/veg/'fibre'?

My daughter is nearly 14 and she is very wise to hidden veg in things.

I make SW chips for myself, she has tried them but says they are very bland, I thought I could try cheesy chips using cheese as HEa.

I like the sound of making own pizza, how do you make this please.

I shall invest in treat size chocolate bars, does she have to stick to 15 syns per day?

Thank you all for your advice.

I need to put my thinking cap on.

Regards

Lyn

I had a similar problem wth my daughter when she was younger - about 4/5. I had to get really strict with her. Basically she got given what was on the plate she either ate it or she went hungry. This went on for a good few months. She never starved but she did go to bed hungry sometimes....guess what, she survived the night!!!!

She now only has wholemeal bread (not a problem) in her packed lunch. She has anything from tuna, sweetcorn and ex light mayo, cheese and light salad cream, dairylea light or reduced sugar jam in her sandwiches. Sometimes she might have ham or chicken, but not often.
She has 2 pieces of fruit (normally banana, plum, grapes or strawberries), a dairylea dipper or french fries/square crisps or WW cheese puffs or cheese curls. She has a carton of fruit juice, either apple or pineapple which is classed as one of her 5 a day.

For dinner she now eats pasta (wholewheat) with chicken or Jckt with Tuna, syn free sausages with mash, gravy and veg etc. Spag bol, saus casserole, SW burgers with SW chips and many other SW friendly meals and desserts including soups.

She still has 'normal' food and is allowed treats at the weekend. Most of them are home baked cookies, flapjacks or muffins instead of shop bought stuff. This way I also know that she isn't getting too many additives/preservatives either.

We only have sugar free juice or fruit juice cartons, semi skimmed milk or highlights hot chocolate.

I also make sure she's kept active. She has ballet once a week and swimming for an hour a week, with the occasional trip to the local park, walk in the woods or bike ride.

My daughter isn't on a diet (she's only 7 and a half - don't forget the half :rolleyes: ) but I am determined that she is going to grow up with a healthy outlook on food. That treats are fine but food is for fuel and not for comfort. I don't want her to have similar problems as me when she gets older, I want to break the cycle.

Sorry for the long post :eek: but it is something that I'm passionate about.

my daughter has just been mis-guided in eating healthily, I was just the same, my parents would let me eat anything and everything - so I didn't know any better.

:(It's my own fault that she has such a poor diet and does not eat much of a variety of meals but hopefully things will change slowly in the right direction.

Anymore advice will be gratefull received.

Regards

Lyn

My pizza recipes are on my blog, below.

re the vegetable saga - she really does have to be told that if she doesn't start eating SOME veg then she will really find it hard to lose weight. tell her you are hiding the veg because maybe it's the texture she doesn't like.

To a certain extent I agree with the poster who said she will have to change her ways because fruit and veg are a key part of a healthy diet.

if you're on Slimming World your consultant will be able to advise you on what's best for kids syn wise. Does your daughter not even like bananas? They are very sweet and full of fibre.

Maybe she's a little young to be dieting, but not too young to be taught about healthy eating. The Food Standards Agency has lots of information for kids on their website. Maybe write off for one of their snack-swappers and recipe packs and see how you get on.

Syn wise, 10-15 syns per day is approximately 200-300 calories from treats, snacks and fat. This is very approximate. EG a Wispa Gold is something like 13.5 syns.

Tell her if she eats all her veg and fruit and tries a new thing each day, she can also have a chocolate bar a day, and give her a treat size one, so she's not deprived. At the weekends, relax a little and let her have one treat, up to 250 calories, of her own choosing, provided she's eaten all her veg for that week and not left it on her plate.

If she finds Slimming World chips bland, her tastebuds are deadend from too much salt in pre packaged foods like shop bought pizza and takeaways. Spice up plain potatoes with cajun spice or paprika and black pepper before roasting with fry light and some red onion. Give them some flavour and have her help you with cooking. She's much more likely to want to eat something she helped you to make herself.

Also, tell her that mum needs her to help with her diet, could you chop me some salad stuff, could you peel me some potatoes and squirt the fry light on for me, could you help me find a syn value with the calculator? Nowt like a bit of guilt to get her to try some new things!

Ninja - great post - and brill point about your daughter surviving the night if she had veg for dinner that she left on her plate! Very true!!

My daughter is nearly 14 and she is very wise to hidden veg in things.

I make SW chips for myself, she has tried them but says they are very bland, I thought I could try cheesy chips using cheese as HEa.

I like the sound of making own pizza, how do you make this please.

I shall invest in treat size chocolate bars, does she have to stick to 15 syns per day?

Thank you all for your advice.

I need to put my thinking cap on.

Regards

Lyn

I would put on full body armour and refuse to buy any more chocolate, make SW meals for both of you and use sweet things as a treat at the weekend only. If she doesn't eat it, you have a full on barny where you get called all the names under the sun for a while until she starts to realise that she likes more foods than she realised.

A lot of it, as I'm sure you don't need me telling you, is probably pure faddiness. It's in her head. I refused to eat veg when I was younger and was anaemic until I was in my mid 20's. I now eat broccoli, sprouts, cabbage etc. and I know I refused to eat many things because of how they looked and wouldn't even try to taste many things. This is what she has to get past. She needs to start trying new foods. I tell my daughter to just taste something, if she really doesn't like it she doesn't have to eat it. But she has to lick or taste it first.

Armour at the ready! I will have to be tough for a few months, but I think this is the only way for it. I'm used to full on barneys at the moment, it must be her age!

Thank you for the recipe for the pizza vixxster looks fabulous. will def. be trying this.

I need to involve my daughter in helping in the preperation/cooking, only me & my daughter are like chalk & cheese at the moment.

It's hard having stroppy teenagers! but i'm sure their is light at the end of the tunnel.

Lyn

Armour at the ready! I will have to be tough for a few months, but I think this is the only way for it. I'm used to full on barneys at the moment, it must be her age!

Thank you for the recipe for the pizza vixxster looks fabulous. will def. be trying this.

I need to involve my daughter in helping in the preperation/cooking, only me & my daughter are like chalk & cheese at the moment.

It's hard having stroppy teenagers! but i'm sure their is light at the end of the tunnel.

Lyn

It's called tough love and if you really want to help your daughter I think it's the only way to do it.

Have a look at the SW website where there's info for younger people doing SW. I'm sure they'll have lot's more ideas for your daughter, get her to read it too.

I don't belong to a SW group, I do it at home, so don't have access to SW website.:(

You have all given me good advice, all I need to do now is plan meals for her to try, (fingers crossed).

Thank guys.

Lyn

And the 'full on barneys' might well be helped by a healthy diet with less additives and sugar too!

Does SHE want to lose weight, or is it someone elses idea? I only ask because obviously that will have a bearing on her attitude to how to go about it.

I'm not much of a Jamie Oliver fan particularly, but he is right when he talks about kids being far more likely to try foods when they've had a part in making them. Maybe enlist your daughters help in prepping the healthy food she eats so she feels a little more involved and therefore in control?

Being a teacher I know that healthy eating is taught all through primary school in PSHE, Science and DT, so she must have a good awareness of what she should / shouldn't eat and why. She IS old enough now to understand concequences. It's no good having a barney at mum! The only way she can lose the weight she wants is the same way as every other person of whatever age. By taking control. It may seem harsh but it's also reality!

Has she looked at the part of the Slimming World site aimed at young people? Maybe that will inspire her.

Good luck. x

It's was entirely her idea, she mentioned it to me last week, just wasn't sure how to tackle it.

I supposed she has seen me loose 3.5 stone and wearing size 12 clothes now and she is a size 14/16, so I suppose that may have something to do with it.

This may be a cry for help so I will try and help her and put her on the right tracks.

Lots of great advice here already and I just wanted to add a couple of things.

I think that getting kids involved in cooking their meals is a great way of teaching them about healthy eating and encouraging them to try new things.

Also, think about exercising. Is there something you could do together, something fun more than an organised exercise class like ice skating, dancing or aquafit. It would help you both with the weight loss and be a great way of bonding together.

Lots of great advice here already and I just wanted to add a couple of things.

I think that getting kids involved in cooking their meals is a great way of teaching them about healthy eating and encouraging them to try new things.

Also, think about exercising. Is there something you could do together, something fun more than an organised exercise class like ice skating, dancing or aquafit. It would help you both with the weight loss and be a great way of bonding together.

That's a great idea.

A roller disco, Ice skating, dance classes such as Salsa-cise (think strictly or dirty dancing) or what about kick boxing or some other cool martial art. If my daughter was older I would definitely take her to one of these with me.

I do aqua fit once a week, while I am doing aqua fit my OH and son go swimming, but my daughter chooses not to come anymore, she has brought a friend along with her in the past but has since lost interest. All she seems interested in is Computers, TV and fighting with brother! so I think I will have to involve her in the kitchen first - then see where that leads us.

Lyn

Back