Advice needed please?

Violetwind

Determined
Hey there
I'm not a great cook and never ever freeze anything cos I'm unsure of food poisoning taste change etc... however I need to get back on track and I've loads in my fridge that if I dont use its going to go off.

Would it be ok to freeze the following? Does it then change the taste once it's defrosted??

Lasagne
Tomato bacon and lentil soup

Thanks

Yes, they would be fine to freeze and don't change their flavours once defrosted.

They would both freeze fine, I regularly freeze soups, bolognaise and chilli

I freeze lasagne when I have leftovers (which isn't very often. I love lasagne and cannot stop myself!). I find that it sometimes changes texture, the pasta sheets seem to be a bit more soggy/stodgy, almost as if it has been overcooked. It doesn't change the taste though.

This thread is making me crave lasagne. I haven't had it for months! Perhaps I'll make it tonight!

We are on a budget and do a big shop at the start of the month, all of our fresh meat etc. I usually spend the weekend cooking up loads of batches of things like chilli, bolognese, curry, spicy sausage pasta etc. Keep some out for in the week and freeze the rest for defrosting throughout the month. It also stops me going to the supermarkets for anything other than fruit, veg, cold meat and bread mid month (Tesco Extra is a minefield, I come out with bedding, clothes and a load of stuff I don't really need!).

All of it freezes and defrosts fine and there is no change in flavours. Soups are great for freezing too!

Have you cooked it up? they tend to liven back up again once its been reheated and stirred. I used to regularily freeze carrot & coriander/tomato & herb fresh soup (darned 2 for 1's) and it looks a big manky initially but I always revive it and it tastes fine.

efk said:
We are on a budget and do a big shop at the start of the month, all of our fresh meat etc. I usually spend the weekend cooking up loads of batches of things like chilli, bolognese, curry, spicy sausage pasta etc. Keep some out for in the week and freeze the rest for defrosting throughout the month. It also stops me going to the supermarkets for anything other than fruit, veg, cold meat and bread mid month (Tesco Extra is a minefield, I come out with bedding, clothes and a load of stuff I don't really need!).

All of it freezes and defrosts fine and there is no change in flavours. Soups are great for freezing too!

Spicy sausage pasta, could I have the recipe please and syn value, I have no imagination when it comes to pasta dishes but I love them. Plus the m&s pasta with honey & mustard mayonnaise dressing anybody got a clue how I could make this at home without it being too many syns can't find honey mustard mayonnaise only dressings x

have you tried adding to a low or fat free dressing a tbsp of honey and a tsp of english mustard, mix well and taste, adjust to suit. You would need to syn a tbsp of honey, it's in the book!

The spicy sausage pasta recipe (there aren't really any quantities - I chuck a load of ingredients in!)

Boil up some pasta, brown some weight watchers sausages and chop into pieces. In another pan chuck some onion, chopped tomatoes, other veg if you have any spare, a wee bit on chilli powder and some jalapenos. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add the sausages and tomato/ jalapeno mix. You can also add passata if it looks dry.

The only synable thing is the sausages which are 0.5 each. The amount of chilli used is negligible. This is on EE though as that's the plan I'm doing, not sure for red/green - sorry!

In my pre sw days, i used to top it with breadcrumbs and cheese!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies I'll give it a bash x

Back