Advice please? Not CD related!

Foo Fan

Gold Member
Hi guys,

This is a bit personal but I'm looking for some advice.

I took out a car on finance this year - then about a month later I lost my job.. I now have a new job that pays a lot less and I'm struggling to keep up with the payments.. I'm thinking about giving the car back - but feel really embarrassed cos all my family told me not 2 - and I part exchanged a car that my grandad bought me outright..

My new job is within walking distance - the only concern I have is that all my family is in south Wales and I'm living in Manchester so I could drive home whenever I needed..

Any advice on what I should do?

Oh give the car back. I know how you must feel but your family will understand what you've gone through in the last few months. Get yourself a bus pass and plan way in advance to get the train back to South Wales - it will save you a small fortune!!

And you'll save on petrol, tax, insurance... don't be embarrased about it - believe you me, you aren't the only person struggling at the moment... you are not on your own.

And if i win the lottery - i'll buy you a car!! lol ;~)

I'm with Lynne - great advice. That you are even considering it is great. And sod what the family think - if it saves you getting into loads of debt it has to be worth it.

if the car is putting you into hardship then give it up.

i agree my loves, imagine getting a good nights sleep with no worry. Take action, it makes you feel good.
And to get home you can book trains well in advance and get good prices on them.
For instance, I booked me and my daughter to go to london for the day 6 weeks in advance. I managed to get cheaper seats in first class and saved myself...........wait for it.........£477 pounds. Our tickets price came to £102 for two of us first class from Wigan! AMAZING!

Thanks guys - I know your right...

Just text my other half about it and he seems to think I shouldnt (he doesnt drive) - he said you'll regret it, just get a Saturday job for a couple of months.

I am looking for a second job at the moment anyone - just to have some spending money - cant remember the last time I just went out and bought a top etc.. :(

there are lots of sat jobs coming up to crimbo hunny xx
i live the other side of manchester and have seen loads in debenhams and sainsburys etc.
Cant you just guve your car back and get a little run around? Its not fair putting that pressure on you considering he doesnt drive.

I hope your OH contributes towards the upkeep of the car? If not, ask if he would - pay your insurance premiums, fill the car up (filling my car up at the moment is costing me appox. £130 per month - shocking!), put new tyres on the car, pay for your AA/RAC membership, etc, etc, etc.

And that's just normal run of the mill expenditure of having the luxury of running a car... let's hope your camshaft or exhaust doesnt need changing before Christmas (i know zilch about cars... as you can tell).

While you are looking for a weekend job, see if there are night shift's going in Tescos... you don't need your rest do you sweetie?!

While you are looking for a weekend job, see if there are night shift's going in Tescos... you don't need your rest do you sweetie?!

Haha this made me laugh out loud!!

I think you should do what is right for you, sod everyone else! It is you that is having problems paying and that is clearly worried about it. Do what feels right. Never regret anything you can't go back in time :D x

Thanks all,

My OH helps with petrol and we've have just moved in together and I pay less than him on the house hold bills etc.. This is also why I'm thinking of giving the car up - Id like to help out more with the bills, have a nice house and go on holidays etc - at the moment I have no spare money for anything.....

Hi

First of all I always think contribution towards household bills should be proportional to the income not split 50/50. It's usually much better to each agree to pay a %tage of your salary into a joint account and then all household related bills come out of that. Much easier and much fairer. If you haven't already done so it may be worth sitting down with your OH and having a conversation about finances and what you want out of the next 1-2 years e.g holidays, nights out or long term savings plans etc. Part of this discussion should include how much use he has of the car and a proportional payment towards maintenaince and upkeep costs (presume the grocery shopping and all the couply running around is done in your car).

As for the car itself I presume you have it on finance. Paying off early can be a huge loss as they are usually front weighted with the interest. Have you approached the company to explain your change in circumstances and asking them to review the payment schedule with you? Could be worth a try and then depending on the outcome it could then be factored into the ultimate decision. There are lots of websites advising on how to structure such letters and what information to put in them etc.

Good luck whatever you decide but remember it's you that has to sleep at night not your family :)

oh, that is so miserable... you are working so you need to see some benefit - if it's only buying a new top when you get paid every month.

i hope you didn't think i was acusing your OH of not helping you out with the car - but it is a lot of money to fork out every month.

have a long hard think about it sweetie.

great advice from GG - defo speak with the finance company - they may be willing to do something about reducing the payments.

I hope your OH contributes towards the upkeep of the car? If not, ask if he would - pay your insurance premiums, fill the car up (filling my car up at the moment is costing me appox. £130 per month - shocking!), put new tyres on the car, pay for your AA/RAC membership, etc, etc, etc.

And that's just normal run of the mill expenditure of having the luxury of running a car... let's hope your camshaft or exhaust doesnt need changing before Christmas (i know zilch about cars... as you can tell).

i'd be glad if mine cost £130 a month. filled it the other day and it was £98 (had done 439 miles). will need filling again in 10 days time.

you must have a big car!!
i have a ford focus cmax... and that's the dog car - had to get rid of my baby clio to get a big enough car to put a German Shepherd in the boot...

the things I do for my furry babies...

hi............ this one i totally understand after saaaaaving so much to buy my car aprox 6 mnths ago after somebody wrote the other one off..... loveley!!!!

i would firstly defo contact finance co you may be able to exchange for a cheaper car if its leased or if simply bought on finance they can prob extend the term so reduce payments.

i would work a million jobs before losing my lovely car but that is so the wrong attitude lol.

i make a fair easy bit of cash buying and selling on line you need to put some cash in at first but it can be as little as £100 and you can easily get back 3 times that just have a good look into it. do it independantly though not through some scam site asking you to start up a small business etc... i simply use loot gumtree ebay and amazon. its so gonna get me through xmas!

a bit obvious but re evaluate all your bills gas electricity mobile bla i have saved a few quid this week and got a new upgrade!

Thanks for all your advice guys - I going to keep the car until after new year and see how things go then - just had chat with the OH and got a couple of things sorted.. Defo going to keep looking for a second job - that's my mission this weekend it's to hit the shops (and ask for work - not spending money lol)
Ive had family emergencies this year, my dad had a heart attack and my nan passed away suddenly just over a month ago and I wouldn't have been able to get home in a hurry with out a car - just worried that something else could happen and I'm stuck in Manchester unable to get home..
Thanks again - You've all been a big help!!

Back