Advice please

Jewel83

Hi all,

Need some advice...

It's my birthday coming up in about a month and I'm going out with friends on Thursday, family on Saturday and another family do to attend on the Sunday.

Is it worth re-feeding to enjoy the various celebrations? I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done. I've been 100% so far and intend to stay that way

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

No honey its not worth it. Drink soda water- tell people its vodka and soda thats what I did. Honestly the effort and the work that goes into refeed week only to restart tfr all over again is sooooo not worth it. Just think of all the family celebrations you can enjoy when you've reached goal xx

There are no smart food choices you can make make whilst on LT if your not willing to be 100% maybe you arent in the right frame of mind to be doind it in the first place?

You should check in with your chemist also, as i know mine told me if i go on re-feed i wont be able to go back on TFR again for six months??

I have to agree, it's just not worth coming off, you'll have many more birthdays and the food and meals/alcohol will all still be there for the consuming once you get to your goal. If you absolutely MUST eat on these occasions then go for pure protein, minimal green veg/salad and zero carbs/alcohol. It's hardly worth it when you put it like that. I had my 40th birthday while I was on LT and also xmas and I stuck to LT purely because I've started and restarted LT so many times now I knew it just wasn't worth the nightmare of going through week 1 all over again.

Personal choice though, see what others say and then make your own mind up x

I have to agree with the majority... It is so hard to restart, and there will be plenty of opportunities once you are at goal.. Good luck whatever you decide x

I've said no to lots of social events that i would have loved to have gone to, it all depends on how important these things are to you, a night out with the girls, a romantic dinner, mmm not that bothered, but a Birthday/family event, is a diet breaker for me, it's all about personal choice.
i understand about the refeed, when you are coming off the diet having reached goal, by can't you just have a small one off blow out, i did, and still lost weight, ok maybe not as much, but it was worth it,
just my opinion,
just about everyone here has had a gain or two on their signiture detail, me included,
probably going to get some bad press now ;)
Sam

You know what jewel...

I'm the first to preach 100% LT

But I also believe you have to live your life, life is too short, we only get one shot....

I believe you have three choices...

One... You don't go out or you go and dont eat or drink and stay 100%

Or

You stay on LT and just eat protein and drink soda water... You may or may not come out of ketosis...

Or

You do refeed week... Enjoy yourself, have a great meal, have a drink and after it's all over you get back on 100%

A lot of people did refeed for Xmas.... If you can refeed for Jesus' birthday I believe you can refeed for your own birthday...

Good luck what ever you decide, every one is different and I don't think restarting LT isn't that difficult.... xx

Amanda you Rock!!!!!!!
Totally agree, Jesus had Bread and Fish(what a dish) hopefully you'll have something nicer,
what ever you decide, have fun
Sam

Thanks everyone for your comments. Still in two minds! My concern is if I come off it, how hard is it to go back on again?? I've always struggled with lack of will power and I'm so proud of myself for bring 100% for 3 weeks.

Also I read somewhere that if you stick to clear spirits then you shouldn't come out of ketosis but is it not dangerous to drink alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I found iteasy to get back on 100%

You know i do wonder about the ketosis thing, i understand the concept of ketosis being a by product of burning body fat,
but if you are on a VLCD like LT and having ony 424 calories per day, and the daily reccommended intake is 2,000 calories, then the deficit is 1,576, which your body takes from it's fat stores, so if you have milk in your tea and therefore aren't in ketosis, this isn't going to change the fact that your body is still going to take the defosit it needs from body fat stores, meaning that it is still possible to loose large amounts even whilst not in Ketosis?????
if this makes sense
Sam

Everyone's carb threshold for ketosis is slightly different. Usually around 60g a day up to 100g a day for others but no way to know other than trial and error. Not a great idea to have alcohol on a vlcd but its your body your choice. The sugar from the alcohol would knock you out not to mention ketosis dehydration you a bit and so does alcohol, best avoided really. Just my tuppence worth.

I've restarted LT about 8+ times and each time its harder as your body kinda tries to refuse what it knows is comin lol x

Thank you cookeh
That makes a lot of sense, i haven't given up milk in tea and coffee, in every other aspect i'm sticking to it, if i can enjoy a cuppa then i can cope with this deprevation, and it is working for me, the ketose test sticks show that since starting LT i haven't been in ketosis,( never moved from the Pink) which is fine, the end result is the same just no stinky breath
wi tomorrow
Sam

That's fine hon, I'm a firm believer that if you must make tiny adjustments to the plan in order to meet the same end goal, ie weightloss, then do it. Sure, 100% is the aim but at the end of the day its like saying you had a baby with no pain relief, if tweaking the plan results in the same thing then why go through the agony of many blips, cheats and restarts if a splash of milk each day is all it takes to get you to goal, ya know? It's the same end result no matter if you tweak or go 100%. I know many people disapprove of this mindset and I understand their viewpoint however, tweaking is the only thing that's got me through my tough days and I believe idve failed long before now had I not taken the initiative. I'm not on this for the glory, I'm only on it to get to goal, no matter the cost (within reason obviously hehe) x

You know i do wonder about the ketosis thing, i understand the concept of ketosis being a by product of burning body fat,
but if you are on a VLCD like LT and having ony 424 calories per day, and the daily reccommended intake is 2,000 calories, then the deficit is 1,576, which your body takes from it's fat stores, so if you have milk in your tea and therefore aren't in ketosis, this isn't going to change the fact that your body is still going to take the defosit it needs from body fat stores, meaning that it is still possible to loose large amounts even whilst not in Ketosis?????
if this makes sense
Sam

The danger of taking yourself out of ketosis, but still having very low calorie diet is that you risk your body using your lean tissue instead of fat stores for energy. No one wants to lose muscle :( This is one reason why dipping in and out of the diet can be dangerous. Yes, you lose weight, but how do you know it's fat weight and not lean tissue weight :-/ Something to ponder on whilst taking in extra protein and possibly your body converting some of that to carbs via gluconeogenesis, and you don't know it's happened as it occurs briefly. Each to their own :)

That said, there are VLC diets that allow X amount of food, and yes you can get away with X amount of extra protein per day, and yes having some whilst doing TFR can get you through and make the difference between falling totally off the wagon or staying on and losing, albeit at a very slightly lower rate. I'm absolutely not against anyone doing that. Heck I've done it myself in the past when desperate, and used boullion. The thing is, for some they will start with just a little extra protein and before you know it, it's a lot of protein and then it can become a problem for your body. If you are 100% you know your weight loss is coming from fat. If you're not, you'll never be sure if it's come from fat or muscle (highly likely if you are VLC and not in ketosis). Your body won't just burn muscle if you've run out of fat (like some believe). It can and will do it before fat stores are all gone.

I've waffled, but my point is, to just be educated, and know these things and how your body works before making your decisions :) Good luck with your decision :)

xx

Thank you again cookeh
I wasn't going to confess to the milk, for fear of giving out the message that it's ok to cheat, we are all different and cope in different ways, some people can just get their heads down and power ahead, others like me need to just get through,
so thank you for not shooting me down!
i am 100% committed, or should i say 100% in need of committing, LOL
Yes to the pain relief every time !!
Have a Great week
Sam

Hi Jayne
Thank you for your reply,
I am one of those people who given a little bit of what i like, wil go totally mad and stuff everything, which is why LT is good for me, at this stage i can't be trusted with food!! i do understand what you have said regarding the extra protein in the milk,
With a bit of luck i'll be at goal by March/April
Have a Great week
Sam

Aww Sam, we're here to support you not shoot you down hon, good grief losing weight, and this diet particularly, are hard enough without that. All I'd say is don't kid yourself. If that splash of milk turns into more it can quickly lead down a slippery slope. I know, I've done it. When you come off LT you need to exercise control and make wise choices. You're doing that now, just don't let it slide and am sure you'll be fine and hey, you never know, depending how long you're on this you may find yourself phasing out the contraband hehe

Good luck!

Bless you cookeh, some sound advise there, i'll keep myself in check and stay with the (white) kind of contraband,
Take care, Sam

Back