Advice pse - thinking of getting a puppy!

skinnymongoose

Hi All,

I haven't had a dog for years and years, but we would like to get a puppy now, especially for our 6 yr old who is desperate for a dog. We think a small dog would be best - any advice or tips about breeds and how to go about buying a pup would be great.
Thanks very much. :)
SM

I did not set out to get a Yorkie...

I was buying one for my parents and on the way home we all fell in love with her and by the time we got home we knew that we could not let her go.

So we went back the next day and bought another one for my parents.

That was twelve years ago and she is our little girl and our joy.

She is not a rough and tumble dog, more like a little princess and she loves her toys, walks, attention and being spoilt.

Wonderful affectionate dog who does her best to talk. She makes loving sounds and gives cuddles...

I believe they can live to be 18 years old.

I hope she does as we would be lost without her as she is such a big part of our family.

Barb has a Yorkie as well.

Love Mini xxx

Thanks Mini,

My Dad had suggested a Yorkie to me this morning, so will definitely consider it. How did you find out about the puppies being available? Did you know the breeder? There are lots on the internet these days, but not sure if that's the best way to do it?

hi ive always ad shih tzu,s. like little gizmos, very affectionate and soft as a brush, ideal with children and other pets, i have a cat and shes the boss, pets4home is a great site on pets 4 sale, gud luck

We have a chocolate labrador called Archie.. great with the kids, but if you like to have pairs of socks, a sofa to yourself and not having to keep saying" thats not yours" then dont get a Lab ;)

hi we have had yorkies and shih tzu both ace with children we now have two staffies boy and girl who are amazing with my kids especially with my daughter who has autism they are so loving and gentle its like they know just how to be with her its amazing to see no wonder they call them the nanny dog...jenni whatever dog you choose do lots of reading about them on the internet it helps to know all about the type of dog you are going to get before you get them

I've got a Golden Retriever called Odie. Retrievers are one of the best, child friendly dogs you can get because they'll put up with all the abuse that a child gives them and not even bat an eyelid!:D

got 2 staffies myself (1 and 2 yr old, male and female)...

so much personality its unreal. very loving. very cheeky and very naughty lol!

love children and instinctively know to be more gentle with them than with adults...

love'em x

Back