Advice re mums birthday party

kingleds

Gold Member
Need a bit of advice people.

My mum & I have a somewhat fraught relationship, primarily because she left when I was 4 & I barely saw her most of my childhood. When my dad died I had to I've in with her, but she never really seemed to want me or my little sister there & the moment I went it uni I never went back. In fact, one year i turned up for Xmas &'she'd moved without telling me.

Anyway, she is my only parent, and so whilst she is unbelievably self centred & completely oblivious to how she treats me I still see her & talk to her etc. I paid for her to come to my wedding in Jamaica, because you can't get married without your mum there. She never even said thanks, and spent the week moping about because her fiancé had died bout 2 months beforehand. That sounds awful of me, but this was a man who had already disappeared on her for 3 months the day they were supposed to move into a brand new house he had bought for them both (turns out it was all a con, he was skint), but she still let him back in when he rocked up 3 months later, and he promptly ran up a shed load of debt which she ended up paying off after he'd died. Fair to say she has bad taste in men - i wish he was the worst. Anyway, I digress.

She is 60 at the end of July and she's booked a pub for a party. I live 4 hours away so it's about £100 in petrol to get there. My sister lives 2 hours away from her so again, about £50 in petrol. She phoned my sister the other day to tell her about the party & my sister said, she had been thinking of organising a surprise party for her. To which my mum responded, 'well if you want to do something then you & your sister can pay for the food & DJ.

Now, am I being completely out of order here? I'm already shelling out a ton to drive up there for the party, my sister (who has 4 kids btw & her husband is out of work at the moment so you can imagine how much spare cash they have) is shelling out £50, not to mention drinks etc whilst we're there, 2 days of my hard earned holiday, plus I will probably have to pay for a hotel for a few nights, and now she wants me to pay for a sodding DJ or some food? My husband has categorically told me he will not pay a penny towards it & that's she's lucky I even speak to her let alone pay for anything.

I am almost at the point of saying I won't go & finally telling her to stick it. The only thing that has stopped me in the past is that she has a tendency to try & hurt herself when you do tell her some home truths & I don't really want to feel responsible for that happening again. But she really has taken the mick this time & I am more than slightly fed up with her.

What do I do?

You could just explain that you're struggling a bit financially after paying out for the wedding and living on a strict budget. Budget can stretch to petrol and staying for a night but not to paying for DJ etc. I don't think you owe any more explanation than this. Sure, it's a big birthday. But then, it sounds like you've had a few of those yourself which she's opted out of. Doesn't need to be any arguments or guilt pushing, or even home-truths. She must realise that she's let you down, and that sometimes you DO reap what you sow.

Well, firstly, never be responsible for a full grown adult's actions. If she self harms if she dosenst like something then that is her issues and you must never make that your issue.

I would be inclined to send flowers for her birthday wishing her a nice birthday but that kind of, would be it.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention I haven't had a birthday card or present, or Xmas card or present in 5 years, including my 30th, because apparently I once said I wasn't big on celebrating birthdays & didn't want loads of fuss to be made.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention I haven't had a birthday card or present, or Xmas card or present in 5 years, including my 30th, because apparently I once said I wasn't big on celebrating birthdays & didn't want loads of fuss to be made.

Well, there you go!!

PS Wonder why you've never been big on birthdays??!! Hmph. Some parents!

Lucky7 said:
Well, there you go!!

PS Wonder why you've never been big on birthdays??!! Hmph. Some parents!

To be fair, my dad was fab, so I count myself lucky most of the time. I imagine I would be a lot more screwed up if she'd stayed.

I'm glad my first inclination to not go doesn't seem like a total over reaction.

Mmmmmmmmm this is a toughie & much more difficult than my anniversary dilema.

I'd be inclined to to the party, as you say she is your only parent, I wouldn't though pay any costs towards the DJ etc, I'd make it clear if she wants them she needs to pay for them herself. As Lucia said a nice bunch of flowers would be acceptable for her pressie.

Have you thought of going to the party on the train? Perhaps if you book in advance it would be cheaper. For cheap hotels take a look at trivago.com.

What does your sister think? Did she say to your Mum that she couldn't afford it?

I think she has a bloody cheek asking you to pay for those, was that her plan all along to book it etc then get you 2 to pay for it?

Just speak to her & tell her you can't afford it. If this causes problems send her flowers & a card & don't go.

Reading between the lines you don't really want to go but feel you have to because its your mother. Hope you get it sorted xxxx

I do want to go, mainly so I can see my sister & my nieces. I haven't seen any of my family since my sisters 30th birthday last November, so it would be lovely to see them. I just don't see why I should be paying for stuff at her party! It also winds me up that she quite obviously thought i'd stump up the cash, and she sneakily suggested it through my sister rather than tell me herself. Though that would of course involve her phoning me, which happens twice a year max. I don't know what my sister think because I told her flat out I wasn't paying for any of it & just left it at that. My sister is even less charitable towards my mum than me.

But, as HH says, you only get one mum, and I don't want to cause an argument unless it absolutely can't be avoided.

I'm not even sure I will get her flowers. I think turning up is enough.

If you want to go then that is fine. Personally I would not be within 100 miles of her. I know she is your mum but is that in name only. Sounds to me like you have never come first in her life like most kids do for their parents. I would have killed for my son.
If it would make you feel bad not to go, go, but do not pay for anything. Let her know now and see what her reaction is.

Could you not spend the money you would spend going to the wedding going to see your sister and her family as that is something you want to do.

Forgive me if I sound harsh but I would hate to see you go and end up being hurt.

Has she ever been a mother to you?

Do you feel as if you owe anything to her?

And if you didn't go, would you feel guilt?

Kingleds I was told just yesterday that there are folk who give give give and others who take take take. Your mother sounds like the latter. First of all to suggest you and your sister pay for food and dj, knowing your sister is struggling is selfish. It begs the question...does she even know your sisters situation? Why hasn't she phoned you herself to invite you? (SOrry if she has but can't scroll up on phone)
You mentioned in my thread earlier you didn't have kids...if you did (and hope I don't sound patronizing) you would know a mothers love and that you would do anything for your kids. For her to be so blaize about how she treats you both is rubbish. Your a grown up, a sensible level headed woman who knows how to love and treat people so you don't really need to have a child to know love.
I get that she is your mum, I would be the same to be honest but you didn't organise the party therefore you shouldn't pay the costs. Especially if she hasn't bothered to acknowledge your birthdays....can I ask, did she buy you a wedding gift?
I don't want to be too cynical or harsh towards your mother, I don't know her but given what you already need to pay out and I assume she hasn't offered to let you stay at hers, I would tell her you can't afford it.
I hate these situations and I hope you do what feels right for you.

debtin said:
Kingleds I was told just yesterday that there are folk who give give give and others who take take take. Your mother sounds like the latter. First of all to suggest you and your sister pay for food and dj, knowing your sister is struggling is selfish. It begs the question...does she even know your sisters situation? Why hasn't she phoned you herself to invite you? (SOrry if she has but can't scroll up on phone)
You mentioned in my thread earlier you didn't have kids...if you did (and hope I don't sound patronizing) you would know a mothers love and that you would do anything for your kids. For her to be so blaize about how she treats you both is rubbish. Your a grown up, a sensible level headed woman who knows how to love and treat people so you don't really need to have a child to know love.
I get that she is your mum, I would be the same to be honest but you didn't organise the party therefore you shouldn't pay the costs. Especially if she hasn't bothered to acknowledge your birthdays....can I ask, did she buy you a wedding gift?
I don't want to be too cynical or harsh towards your mother, I don't know her but given what you already need to pay out and I assume she hasn't offered to let you stay at hers, I would tell her you can't afford it.
I hate these situations and I hope you do what feels right for you.

Wow - you must know my mum or something Debtin. You've got her sussed. No, she didn't get us a wedding present. She was supposed to get us a cake & decorate it for our reception at home, but she couldn't afford it so I ended up paying for it.

She is well aware of my sisters situation - no doubt she expects me to front up my sisters share too - this is usually the way it works.

We won't be able to stay at hers because she already has a mate staying apparently, plus my husband really can't stand her, so it's not really fair to except him to stay there anyway. He told me the other day that all the way through our childhood (we went to school together) he thought she was dead as I never saw her or spoke about her. Says it all really

I spoke to her a couple of months ago & she mentioned the party, but said she couldn't talk about it as she was busy do she'd phone me back. Still waiting for that call.

Thanks all for your input. Has made me feel a lot better about the whole thing & about my reaction to it all.

Bless you - this must be hard. As much as she hasn't been there for you a jot, as you say she is your mother. > However, I'm with Fillymum on this - in your place, your mother (I don't think she deserves the title 'mum') she wouldn't want me within swinging distance if she had an iota of sense! The old addage of being able to pick your friends but not your family is so poignant in your case - she clearly chose who she wanted in her life before & as she'd rather offer her home to a friend rather than one/both of her daughters speaks volumes. > I remember going to a family members house as a kid and there had to be 30 of us 'camping down' in various rooms - you do don't you, when you're family!!!!
As Lucia Lucia says, you can't be responsible for her trying to hurt herself if you decide to tell her her fortune but, is she likely to kick off (verbally perhaps) if you turn up for the party empty handed? You could go all that way and end up leaving in pieces if she has a go in front of everyone. Is it really worth it? >

Again, I'm with Fillymum - you said you wanted to go to the party so you can see your sister & neices - it's a no-brainer ..... go to your sisters house instead and the two of you can have a good catchup.

Good luck with your decision.

Just writing it all down ( even though some of it has then been deleted because even I struggle to believe it happened) has made me realise what a total mug I am.

I don't think you've been a mug - I think, and it maybe subconcioulsy, you just want what we all do/have ..... your mum to want & love you. >Draw a line & get on with your life/hubby/sister. > She's just another person you used to know who's reaching her 60th birthday - send a card. :bighug:

Just writing it all down ( even though some of it has then been deleted because even I struggle to believe it happened) has made me realise what a total mug I am.

Definitely not a mug, never a mug, not you. You are an intelligent and rational person ( look at the debates at opposite ends of the pole we have had and still liked each other and respected each others opinion ). I think here in this context you have waited for a light bulb moment with your mother when she suddenly realises how lucky she is to have a daughter like you. Sorry not going to happen but my goodness how I wish I had a daughter like you !!!

Do not be upset by her, she is not being any different to her usual self. You have done nothing wrong.............she has a lot to answer for.

huge hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you everyone, and Sue - that's a lovely thing to say.

I am still undecided as to whether I will go. But I have decided I won't pay anything towards it. I also won't phone her to speak to her about it. She needs to phone me & discuss if she really wants to.

I don't think you are a mug at all. I think you have got to do what is right for you as in what you can cope with most given what you have got to work with if that makes any sense?
Doesn't sound as if your mum is ever going to change for the better unfortunately. If you think you could cut off from her completely then do so but I know that isn't easy to do. If you want to go to the party so you can see other people and just tolerate her being there then go for it.
If you don't want/can't afford to pay for what she wants you to pay for and can put up with her response then don't do it or if you want to pay it to keep her quiet and can afford it then I wonder if hubby might understand despite his frustrations ?
Not sure this is coming out right but just want you to do the best you can for you in the situation xx

kingleds said:
Thank you everyone, and Sue - that's a lovely thing to say.

I am still undecided as to whether I will go. But I have decided I won't pay anything towards it. I also won't phone her to speak to her about it. She needs to phone me & discuss if she really wants to.

Yes, she should have phoned. Firstly to invite you, secondly she should phone anyway!! If she wanted you both to pay she can at least invite you first and she doesn't get to choose her gift. Sorry I really don't mean to be harsh but its like takin the pi**
If you do go I admire you even more for being the bigger person x

Back