Advice re SW quiche...

krupskaya

Gold Member
I make a lovely SW quiche using peppers, mushrooms, onions, 4 eggs and 500g cottage cheese. The only problem is when I come to eat it crumbles to bits so you can't get a chunk on your fork. Should i increase the eggs/decrease the cottage cheese I put in??? Be grateful for any thoughts, X

I only use 4 eggs and 1 500g tub of cottage cheese.

What I do though, is use a hand blender to blitz the cottage cheese and eggs together to make a smooth mixture, before adding any HEa cheese and fillings. Always works out nice and firm.

It is also best to let it cool slightly when you remove it from the oven, before cutting into it.

Hope that helps.

Depends on the size of you tin. Mine is about 8" and I usually use 3 eggs and 300g cottage cheese. Also do you cook your mushrooms before putting them in? Mushrooms have a lot of water so that might add to the liquid and stop it setting properly.

Yes, I cook all the veg before I put it in. My quiche dish will take 4 medium eggs and 500g cottage cheese as well as the veg. Don't know why it comes out so crumbly tho - I leave it to cool before I cut into it and keep it in the fridge. I thought maybe if I cut down on the cottage cheese and/or added an extra egg it would bind together better. Any thoughts? X

I only use 4 eggs and 1 500g tub of cottage cheese.

What I do though, is use a hand blender to blitz the cottage cheese and eggs together to make a smooth mixture, before adding any HEa cheese and fillings. Always works out nice and firm.

It is also best to let it cool slightly when you remove it from the oven, before cutting into it.

Hope that helps.

That's a brilliant tip, thanks x

I agree on the letting it cool theory. It does break up a bit but most quiches do that when they are hot. I put a cooked pasta n sauce in mine with cauli and broccolli. x

Hazel - how do you make the quiche with pasta n sauce? i've got several pns in cupboard but not that keen on them, quiche sounds like perfect way to get rid of them, thanks donna x

i tried this quiche the other night but only had two eggs in so fryed bacon, mushroom and onion in frylight and blended 2 eggs and half a tub of cottage cheese it was absolutly gorgeous i had half hot with sw chips but i had terrible indigestion i had the other half cold today for lunch and i am fine!! just make your pasta pkt up and let cool a little then add to mixture.

I have just made one this morning using a packet of pasta n sauce macaroni cheese flavour made up with water and let it cool then added a pot of quark plus 3 eggs. Beat it all together and in the oven for 20 minutes.

Just made my best ever sw quiche. I normally use quark as i didn't think i like the texture of cottage cheese(but have been enjoying cottage cheese recently) I also saw the tip of blending the cottage cheese and eggs.

So i fried in frylight trimmed bacon about 4 rashers, mushrooms, onions, and a small courgette.

I divided this between 2 individual casserole dishes then i mixed 300 g cottage cheese with 3 largish eggs which i whisked together with a hand blender. I divided this between the two dishes and sprinkled wach with 21 g grated rf cheese and cooked for about 35 mins until golden so delicous and just 1/2 syn on red or extra easy

I make the quiche with pasta all the time - same recipe as all the other but cook the past as per the packet first with just water not the milk it recommends.
The cheese and ham one is lovely in quiche with peppers and bacon!

Thanks for the tip about blending the cottage cheese up with the eggs - although my quiches always taste good, the lumpy bits of cottage cheese never look that appetising!!
I usually use 3 eggs and about 150g cottage cheese and find it's pretty crumbly so hopefully this tip will help

Just made my best ever sw quiche. I normally use quark as i didn't think i like the texture of cottage cheese(but have been enjoying cottage cheese recently) I also saw the tip of blending the cottage cheese and eggs.

So i fried in frylight trimmed bacon about 4 rashers, mushrooms, onions, and a small courgette.

I divided this between 2 individual casserole dishes then i mixed 300 g cottage cheese with 3 largish eggs which i whisked together with a hand blender. I divided this between the two dishes and sprinkled wach with 21 g grated rf cheese and cooked for about 35 mins until golden so delicous and just 1/2 syn on red or extra easy

Just getting into the SW quiche concept and have loads of ideas running through my head! I like the recipe you have here Derbynanny but wondering why it's 1/2 syn? Is it because of the cheese? Couldn't you use the 42g reduced fat as a hexA and have it as syn free? I prefer my meals to be syn free wherever possible (even if it's only 1/2 syn) to save for wineful syns later!

Thanks x

Back