Advice re work/career

*Emsie*

Gold Member
I work in a special needs school as a personal support assistant, I do a very similar job to the learning support assistants but work sightly shorter hours and don't get paid as much per hour.
I often get a bit frustrated about this even though I do like my job.
In September I am moving to a different class with children with different sorts of needs and I was quite excited about it even though the actual position and pay would be the same as I thought it would help me develop and show my capabilities off.
Then 2 learning support assistant positions came up in different parts of the school. I'm not sure I want to work in the areas that the positions are vacant in but would like the position and pay! Because I haven't much experience with the age group the positions are with I don't think I will get the jobs and I detest applying for jobs and inteviews so don't know if its worth the hassle but worry tha if I dont apply and put myself about etc it could affect me being offered other positions in the future if that makes sense.
So I don't know whether to apply or just see how I get on in the new class in September and work on a few things in the job specs for lsa jobs have made me realise I need to develop :confused:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Apply.................what have you got to lose NOTHING !!!! You could end up with a more challenging job that you love

I agree...apply. apprehension is my middle name and can relate to you but one day I know I will eventually take the plunge and hopefully have a job I love and sound as passionate about as you. Good luck x

I'd get the job spec & write down all the attributes you have & all the skills they are looking for that you have. Then write down examples of where you have used the skills. You may not have all qualifications they are looking for but if you can demonstrate you have the ability you are in with a chance.

Once you do the above you'll feel much more confident to apply for the position, you're losing nothing by applying & if you're not sucessful ask for help so you're able to apply for such positions in the future & be sucessful.

Good luck & don't forget to let us know how you get on.

I say apply - if you get it, that's brilliant, and if you don't you won't have lost anything - you'll still have your current role.

I think applying is a good idea, you won't loose anything by not applying and if you do get the job and find out you prefer working in the part of the school where you are now, then you can always wait until an LSA position comes up there. If you don't get the job then at least you've let the head know you want an LSA position, I'd like to think that they'd then try and help develop any skills you would need to get you in that position. They'd be silly not too as they've already worked with you and you've shown you can work well in their school.

Good luck with the interview! And may I also say thank you for writing 'the forms are filled in' and not 'filled out'. That particular Americanism really annoys me!!:eek:

Back