Advise please

and today up to 9.12 - ate good all weekend, workout for an hour every day. I'm loosing my marbles - how the hell does it work!

Stick to it. All sorts of factors affect my weight from the type of food eaten, the amount of fluid drank/not drank, totm, fluid retention from exercise etc etc.
STOP WEIGHING EVERYDAY. It obviously distresses you when you see the little gains so hide the scales until your designated weigh-in day, or plot your daily weight over the course of a fortnight or so and work out your average weight at the beginning and end. You'll drive yourself doolally if you let the ups & downs of everyday life affect your motivation? And you run the risk of dropping your cals back down and ending up back at square one- on a plateau eating silly amounts of food & doing endless exercise. No-one can keep that up long-term?
Keep the faith & know you're not alone!

I know what you're going through here a little bit! I've upped my exercise considerably over the last few weeks but my weight stubbornly stays the same! Like you I'd just like to lose that last 7lbs but it won't shift! I'm maintaining really well and don't want to go back to 'diet mode' so was hoping to do it through exercise alone. I'm doing on average 2hrs a day with 2 rest days and this is a mixture of running, rowing,badminton and weights. It's so frustrating but I only weigh myself once a week, same day, same time, same place and once again.........sts!

does my nut. really infuriates me, i really dont know what to do. been so upset today I have only managed to eat a pear and apple. need i add not wanting to, but from boyfriends request.

dont know what to do, an hour a day is surely enough? do you enjoy your two hours exercise?

In my opinion it's too much for the amount you're eating. I can't say it any clearer.
The amount of food you're eating, and the amount of exercise you're doing simply isn't sustainable.

I totally agree with what IrishMum is saying. Expecting your body to cope with what you are asking it to do, with so little fuel is going to lead to your body hanging onto every ounce of fat for dear life. Then when you weigh yourself, you see a STS or even a gain, so you cut your food back even more and up your exercise, sending your body even further into starvation mode :(
I understand from your original post why you want to lose this last half stone, I totally get it, but in all honesty, I'm worried that you are going to make yourself ill, and get into a cycle that you are going to have trouble breaking free from hun.

Wise words alibalibee! Although I do a lot of exercise, I'm no longer dieting and am probably eating about 1700 cals a day now if not more some days. For example I know I'll be in the pub later after working out eating nuts and sharing a cheese board with my sis!

and today up to 9.12 - ate good all weekend, workout for an hour every day. I'm loosing my marbles - how the hell does it work!

What do you call 'eating good'? Staying 1200 and above? Or less?

Why are you working out for an hour a day :eek:

Come on Shelz, you know the score. Take note of the weekly weigh ins, eat 1200 and above (get enough protein!). Exercise every other day.

You know what you need to do. Don't let the scales bully you around ;)

Its being tried. 1200 calories a day being aimed for, 30 mins gym cardio one day and a DVD the next...

Breakfast: Bowl Bran flakes, Coffee with skimmed milk
Lunch: Apple, Pear, Cottage Cheese Sandwhich
Dinner: Jacket Potato and Cottage Cheese

How does this sound?

To be honest, this is still too low and where's your protein? Essential when exercising. Please also remember when I said I exercised for 2 hours every day, I said ON AVERAGE. Meaning some days I'll do an hour and others like today because I go fell walking, it'll be 3 hours. So it's not all in the gym and I ALWAYS have 2 rest days.

I thought protein was more essential if you wanted to build muscle from exercise. If you just want to exercise to get fitter and lose weight it doesn't matter much about the source of the energy.

I could be wrong. Much as I'm usually Wikipedia personified, this I don't actually know :D

So what should a typical days meals include? Is it worth me looking for a plan to follow online for a couple of weeks to get me into it?

Not necessarily, protein is also essential when we're exercising. It helps your muscles to recover after working out ( and also aids repair of muscles if you get injured)
x

Not necessarily, protein is also essential when we're exercising. It helps your muscles to recover after working out ( and also aids repair of muscles if you get injured)
x

Ah hah, of course *slaps forehead*. And because muscle-building is actually muscle-repair, and because getting fit is muscle-building, then, yes. Totally.

Gawd, I'm a 'tard sometimes! :D

Plus protein helps retain any muscle that may be burnt while under-eating....
Good sources of protein are lean chicken/beef/turkey, tuna, salmon, nuts (esp. almonds), beans (especially chickpeas), eggs, shellfish.
Try to incorporate one of these foods at each meal?

Breakfast: Bowl Bran flakes, Coffee with skimmed milk- 30g serving (97) plus 125ml skimmed milk (50), coffee with dash skimmed milk (15cals)- Total 162cals
Lunch: Apple, Pear, Cottage Cheese Sandwhich: Apple (80), Pear (80), 2 slices brown/wholemeal bread (180cals) 80g l/f c.cheese (80)- Total 420cals

Dinner: Jacket Potato and Cottage Cheese: 180g jacket potato (245cals) 80g l/f c. cheese (80)- Total 325

162+420+325= 927cals.
All figures are approximate as I don't know your serving sizes/brands of foods, but as a rough guide this is your average daily intake.

Plus protein helps retain any muscle that may be burnt while under-eating....

Exactly! Undereating meaning anything that's lower than maintenance calories.

When we reduce weight we lose fat and lean (not just fat and muscle). When you have loads to lose, it'll be mainly fat. The closer to goal you get the more the ratio swings towards the other way.

The majority of sensible diets set the protein levels first to help retain as much lean as possible whilst losing fat.

Lean is vital. It's your heart, your lungs, your kidneys, your liver, your muscles, bones, blood, water. Everything...just not fat and it's fat people want to lose.

I thought protein was more essential if you wanted to build muscle from exercise. If you just want to exercise to get fitter and lose weight it doesn't matter much about the source of the energy.

Yes, that's true in terms of losing weight. As long as calories out are more than calories in, but it's much more complicated than that.

More carbs are needed for lots of exercise and a higher protein diet with lots of cardio can cause lean loss rather than fat loss.

Same with the 3,500kcals for one pound of fat. Makes people think that if they undereat or exercise away 3500kcals, they'll lose a pound of fat. Doesn't work like that, though it does take 3500kcals to burn a pound of fat....absolutely, but we are not absolute and things happen to cause this theory to be less static.

I felt so stuffed yesterday after what I ate; really not used to eating these quantities but I am determined to stick it out now for a couple of weeks. I am guessing I should experience some weight gain within these weeks?

Went to the gym and did my usual half hour... fast walk on treadmill for 12 mins, fast cycle for 12 mins and a 12 minute session on the elliptical trainer. Went shopping too for a few lunch time ideas.

I have started to use My Fitness Pal, thought it might help a bit. According to the exercise yesterday I was still down on calories, but I couldnt physically eat anymore....

I am going to stick to the same exercise I have been doing and see what difference this does make. Started the day beautifully today. Woke up at 6.30 and went and did my fitness DVD. Am trying my wedding dress on after work so I wouldnt have had any time to do it later.

Back