AJ's LL Management Journey!

Hi AJ

Thanks to Goombagirl, I was able to access what I thought was your management diary but it was obviously a shortened version. I am SO technically challanged. Not sure where i found it!

Anyway, I have just read all 22 pages of it and was...gripped. We went to see friends today so reading was interrupted!

I think somewhere else you have talked about being a teacher and maybe have doubts (sorry if I have got this wrong) BUT from everything you've written, I think you would make an AMAZING teacher. You have real wisdom (as well as knowledge) and just think what an inspiration you would be to your pupils (not sure what age you want to teach).

Thank you for making the effort to document your experience of management; I loved it all! And the underwear posts (and related activities!) made me smile.

As other people have said, you are inspirational and your posts will have helped so many of us as we get closer to Management. A massive and heartfelt thank you.

Mrs L xxxx

Oh Mrs L

What a lovely post. It has really made my day!

It was others' posts which inspired me to do my own.

I had noticed that there were very few (if any) diary threads relating to LL management, so decided to start my own.

I have found that writing things down that happen to me every day, helps me to get things in proportion sometimes. I don't know about you, but I find it very difficult to confide in anyone, but find that writing it out gives me an outlet. If it can help anyone else who's been having similar problems, that's a real bonus.

Had an interesting experience last night (no, not like that, naughty!). I'd had wraps with chicken/peppers for tea and noticed that there was one left over when I was making a drink later on. I decided to have it spread with organic no added sugar jam. So I did. It was ok, but later I wondered why I had it at all. Here's how the thought process went:-

That wrap will 'go off' if it is not used up.

It's wholemeal so acceptable for me to eat.

This jam would be suitable for a spread because, unlike bread, it requires no butter/marge.

It's organic, contains no added sugar/artificial sugar so it is a good choice too.

While I ate it, alarms were going off somewhere in the background but I ignored them. Later I felt regret that

(a) I ate this when I wasn't hungry, and
(b) Fell back into a pattern of behaviour which I thought I had finally banished.

Anyway, to underline how useful it is to me to do this diary, here I am acknowledging to myself what I did, and why. Now I will draw a line under it and move on.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Hello AJ

Tried to post a reply earlier but it got lost somewhere. Anyway, finally realised why I got confused; I had been reading your Maintenance Diary first (which is exactly why Goombagirl sent me there since my question was about what you eat AFTER management - doh!). So I shall catch up with you there - at Maintenance.

Thank you for doing a thought record; did you find that it helped? I did my first ever last night and posted it on my blog. When I read it back to myself, I thought I sounded a bit more highly strung than I am! Anyway, reading yours was really really helpful so thank you for being so honest.

Keep writing, won't you because it's such a great help. I know you don't want to be a LLC (it's a pity, you'd be brilliant) but understand completely. Evenings ARE precious! By posting, you are doing something equally helpful to all of us so maybe you are reaching many more of us anyway.

Just wanted to say that and send you a virtual hug! Totally understand about confiding in others - I find writing it down on a blog so cathartic and a couple of fellow bloggers have been such a support. I'm not ready to go public, either!

So, I'll see you on your other thread. And, again, what an inspiration you are.

Mrs L xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Mrs Lard AmandaJayne.

You would make a fab LLC or Teacher. You seem so understanding yet I imagine you have the strength and mental attitude to be strong and get through to people.

Please, please consider this as you have been such a help to me. All your advice is from the heart and your experiences and this is so valuable. I would much rather speak to you then my own counsellor at times because you have been there, and done it and suceeded.

Follow your dreams xx

Hia Mrs L and Betty, and everyone else too!

Thanks so much for your comments.

As regards the journey to become a teacher, I spoke with someone from the OU in Edinburgh on the telephone today, and will arrange to pop to their office over the next couple of weeks for a more in-depth chat.

I have realised, after the phone call today, just how much work is to be done. I reckon it will take me at least three years of study to get the degree, then a further two years to do the PGDE part-time. I have realised how important it is that I chose the right courses now, and plan carefully the next stages.

I have to do further research first before I go to the OU office in Edinburgh.

Anyway, looking ahead to the far future, maybe I can visualise myself standing at the front of a class at the age of 50! I'll still have at least another fifteen years of work left in me if I want to retire at 65.

I went to my meeting tonight and found that I have put on another 1/2 lb. Still ok. I felt unsettled when I returned though and had to talk myself out of eating too much. What's that all about? It's probably me going into 'sabotage mode' and thinking "well, I have put on a bit, why shouldn't I put on a lot". Stupid, eh.

Luckily, I got over it and just ate my tea (leftover curry/rice, tomatoes, cucumber and spinach).

I was reading the sunday papers yesterday and came across an article about CBT. There was a bit which listed the 10 distorted ways of thinking that can be debilitating. I'm going to start a new thread and list them. Could be useful.

Great day today. Got a lot done at work. I've got quite a few projects on the go at the moment, and d'you know how is seems sometimes that you never seem achieve anything by the end of the day, well today I 'broke the back' of a few of the ongoing projects I'm working on. I can see that I'll have finished them by Friday. Hurrah!

Got another challenge tomorrow. I'm going out for the day with the P7's to a fitness event. Lunch is included and it's usually a beautiful spread, but with lots of sandwiches, quiches, pies etc. They do have salad options though so I will choose them. I'll leave the cakes and biccies alone too. Wasted calories, really. On the plus side, tomorrow will be a day of activity, lots of moving around, little time to sit.

Porridge for breakfast, naked today (the porridge! that is).

A pear and juicy plum for playtime.

Gorgeous lentil soup (I made myself) for lunch, plus a small piece of smoked mackeral with spinach and tomato, sprinkled with a bit of balsamic vinegar.

Neighbour visited for a coffee, so chopped up some apples and pears for everyone (no biscuits in the house).

Turkey pieces dry fried with five spice, balsamic vinegar, teaspoon honey, plus wholegrain mustard, stir-fried together. Served with tomatoes, cucumber and (you guessed) spinach, plus roasted corgettes. All cooked while on the phone to MIL at the same time!

Finished the lentil soup off too, so will make more tomorrow morning before work.

Later will have a fruit salad; chopped orange, green and black grapes, small pear, small banana.

As some of you probably already know, Karion has stopped doing her maintenance thread now. She's successfully maintained since doing LL for nearly two years now and feels that it's time to move on, not from Minis though. Karion's thread was a real source of inspiration to me and many others. So, thanks again Karion (if you're reading this) for all your help and support). Good luck on the next part of your journey....:)

Hi AmandaJayne
I am really enjoying your thread on your management of food going forward - thank you!
I have been maintaining now for 11 months and until the past 3 months was a breeze, so I am using your very informative thread to get myself back on track!
Also wanted to re-inforce the comments about Karion - she has been very inspiring to me also!
Keep us all motivated - we need you!

Hi Amanda Jayne,

Im so pleased you looked into the teaching. A couple of my friends are teachers and it was hard work getting there but they would not want to be doing anything else.

I think you should go for it if it is what you really want, you have years left in you yet lady.

I also want to say that I really do enjoy reading your management threads. I especially enjoy your recepies, I am veggie but can't wait to have a go with some alternative veggie substitute.

I am so pleased for Karion, that is one hell of an achivement.

xx

My sister in law started teaching last year - she was a nurse originally then did other stuff, did a degree and the 2 year thingie in school. Not sure of her exact age but she must be 48 ish. She's a brilliant teacher and works so hard - very good value for the school! I'm sure you'd be like her - all that life experience is invaluable. I cringe sometimes when I think of my lack of life knowledge when I was teaching in my youth. It might feel it would be a long haul but if you've done LL you can do anything:D. You go for it!

Thanks for that info Goombagirl, it's encouraging to know that it's possible!

Tommee! You've done a grand job so far, and just over a stone to goal, AND a trip to the Dominican Republic! Sigh, I've got a couple of months to wait for my big holiday...

Porridge with a dessertspoon of seeds and a mini box of raisins sprinkled on top.

Two small pears and a plum mid morning (at the Fun Day). Lunch (a buffet): I chose salad and a couple of pieces of wrap (not sure what was in them!). Left the sandwiches, pies, quiches, chicken legs and cakes alone.

When I got home from school I felt hungry so had a bit of chicken with spinach and tomato. Sat in he conservatory and basked in the sun!

Later, for tea, had some roasted veg as a starter (sweet potato, red pepper, corgettes), followed by smoked mackeral, spinach and raita, with balsamic/ginger/cinnamon.

Made a coffee afterwards and saw a bottle of organic jam. Wanted it. But what with? Then thought, why do you 'want' it, you are not hungry?

I just want it. Now. It's funny that there are some lovely coconut cakes on the counter which I have not even considered eating. However, organic no added sugar jam is 'acceptable'. How devious our minds are.... justifying eating to satisfy something other than hunger, because 'it is a healthier option'. Bunkum! It's still sugar, it's still for the wrong reasons. I could see the habit desperately trying to reform itself. I considered throwing out the jam so it wouldn't be a problem any more (like I did with the chocolate last week). Cleaned the conservatory instead - looks half decent now.

Opened the cupboard for something a bit later, jam called out to me again. Decided to come on to Minis for a while to distract myself. It worked!

I haven't thrown the jam out yet, but probably will because there is no reason to have it in the house. The kids don't eat it, why did I buy it in the first place?

So, that's another success I think. One nil to me.

great

This is so great reading how your coping with management
will be popping by to see your progress as a newbe starting today have along way to go to management but will follow you all the way good luck
8657.gif

AJ I hope you don't mind me being nosy but how long did it take you to lose 7 stone? How much did you lose in foundation & then development?
It's just that I've got the same amount to lose, I'm about half way, just curious how much longer it might take.
Thanking you in anticipation.

It's a good question Cherry, I've gone back over my records and here are the stats...

Started LL 24th August at 17.13 lb

Started Management 23rd January at 11.10 lb

Finished the 12th week of Management 17th April at 10.6 lb

Trying to stabilise at the moment, but anxious about putting on weight. My original desire was to be 10.13 - which would have made a neat 7 stone loss and would have given me a BMI of under 25. Tonight I weighed in at 10.01. I don't want to lose any more now so have to try to come to terms with putting a bit back on - it is perhaps not surprising that I fear putting on weight. It has so many negative connotations for me. I simply have not been able to come to terms with actually doing it yet.

I had two weeks recently when I put on about half and pound each successive week, but the next week (last week)lost 3 and a half pounds! Obviously, my conscious desire to put on is being eclipsed by unconscious desire to lose! Incredibly, I still lost another lb this week. It is getting to be embarrassing!

It is quite amusing really to be trying to put on weight - a new experience for me.

Hope that helps, Cherry!

Thanks AJ, that helps me to work out how long I need to do development for, before starting management.
I think you are such an inspiration to us all - thanks.

Hi AJ I have followed your progress into management with utter respect I am going into management this week hopefully. I have not reached my goal yet but I hope like you can do it through management. You have been an inspiration to me and have loved reading your journal We are going on our cruise on the 22nd September and I would like to be eating protein and salad and fruit while I'm away I think it will be week 3 going into week 4 Im going to have to make the right choices. Thank you for this remarkable insight into management I will keep you in my thoughts while I away Thank you again

Hi Aj reckon this post has closed but have re read it 2 times 3 in all, your selfishless, caring attitude has been inspirartional for me this week end going into R.T.M in10 days time. Wanted to get to a size rather than a weight and anything else is a bonus but iwant the goal to remain the same for ever which i know i can do with boundaries ,change of habits,and finding ways to match moods with other things beside food Thank you so much Maria

Back