alcohol advice required!

JodieJoJo

Silver Member
Hi all

I am on day 8 of SS and have kept to it religiously except for yesterday when i had to eat some cucumber and carrot sticks as i felt dizzy. Anyway, i am going to a beer festival on Friday and it really wont be the same if i cant have a drink! I am going to limit myself to 1 or 2 pints maximum.

What i need to know is whether this will take me out of ketosis and if so for how long? Also, i'm slightly concerned at getting really drunk very quickly because obviously i'll have only consumed about 400 calories during the day.

Any advice gratefully received!
xxx

im pretty sure beer or pints of anything will knock u right out of the big K. the best drink to cheat with (if u really feel u need to) is vodka with coke zero and even then, only a couple...or few...

also, if u really feel ill and need to much u would be better off cheating with chicken or things from the 790 plan. anything thats pure protein basically.

have fun when u go off and congrats on 8 days with SS!!!

xxxxxxx

beer festival - ilove them
But watch out cause I am sure you know the beer is always much stronger at beer festivals. And yes you will get drunk very quickly. I would recommend that if you are going to have that night off in order to enjoy some beer then you better eat something beforehand to line your stomach. Don't want it ending in a drunken mess after just a pint or 2
peachy
x

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

dont do it!!!

Wow what a powerful warning, something I didn;t know...

Anyway what i would add, is that you have done so well getting to day 8 on SS (same as me) and it seems a shame to break the diet even for a day for the sake of a couple of pints of high cal, high carb no nutrition beers...

i'm not trying to be a killjoy, just see that you have worked so hard and in a short time you will be at goal weight... why not sacrifice the beer till then,...

I have had a couple of occasdions this week where it just wasn't the same not eating, but I am so glad I didn't give in...

Think twice before you give up on the idea of sparkling water! Especially if it could be risky to your health!

Just my two pennerths worth....

thanks everyone

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just been to my first weigh in and lost 9lbs so i'm very pleased.

Still not sure what to do about the beer festival! If drinking is going to be in any way dangerous then I'd better not do it. Its a shame because its only once a year and last year i didnt get to go!

Got some bars from my CDC today - cant wait to chew!!! its been over a week - lol !!

Thanks again for all your comments and I will take on board everything said.

Keep going everyone
xxx

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just been to my first weigh in and lost 9lbs so i'm very pleased.

Still not sure what to do about the beer festival! If drinking is going to be in any way dangerous then I'd better not do it. Its a shame because its only once a year and last year i didnt get to go!

xxx

Well done on your fabby weight loss.... it's a great feeling....

Yes it is a shame, but it will bring you nearer your goal!!!! don't give in Jojo!!!!

9lb! well done :D

Back