Alcohol and ketosis

treens

Some information I thought I'd share on alcohol. Found this on a keto website

Provided you have no medical conditions that would otherwise prohibit it, it’s perfectly fine to drink in moderation while you’re low-carbing it. BUT, you have to be aware of the carb and calorie counts of whatever you’re drinking!

Bear in mind that alcohol IS caloric. Your body has no mechanism to store the energy in alcohol, so you will metabolize the calories in alcohol before any other energy sources. That means that while your body is metabolizing alcohol, it is NOT metabolizing fat. Consuming alcohol will not knock you out of keto, but it will delay the results.

Straight Liquor

UNSWEETENED Vodka, rum, gin, tequila, whiskey, scotch, brandy, cognac (80 proof): 0g carbs, 64 calories PER OUNCE. A shot/jigger is 1.5 oz, or 96 calories.
Mix any of the above with water, club soda, or diet soda to keep the 0g carbs. Tonic contains sugar and carbs! Martini lovers: be advised that dry vermouth contains carbs, so order ‘em extra dry. The few drops probably won’t hurt.
Liquers, like amaretto, Jagermeister, Grand Marnier, curacao, cordials, sweet vermouth, limoncello, etc (basically anything sweet) contain sugars. Not always drank on their own, but they frequently sneak their way into cocktails.

A 125ml glass of Blossom Hill White Zinfandel wine = 4.1g carbs, 89 kcal, 0g fat. Your right in a way, alcohol stalls ketosis as energy will be used from the alcohol first, then will go back to fat burning. I have trialled this myself over the last few wks as a self study. If I have 250ml glass of wine (average for most at home) my scale stay the day for a day or too. It really depends on how much you want to lose weight and at what rate and to how much you want to cut out of your diet.

I am back in induction post xmas day (xmas pud!!!) and I have a slice of Bergen bread (440g loaf/soya and linseed) every morning with 2 boiled eggs and havent had any alcohol for a week and Ive lost 6lb8 this week. (bread of any sort is not allowed during induction, but I choose to have it, or I have PHD Pharma Whey Protein 1.1g carbs))

Never use the word 'diet' either as the minute you say it you start thinking your not allowed anything, it's a lifestyle! and lifestyle choices are better on the mind than thinking im on a diet and cant have.... yes so Ive been known to have a small glass of vino with my tea each night and just count it in my carb intake. So yes it wont hurt...everything in moderation I always say :D

I've also managed to keep wine as part of my low carb lifestyle although I try to avoid during the week and just have at weekends:)

Everyone needs to work out their own plan - I used to have some burgen bread for breakfast - and although it didn't effect weight loss it did make me HUNGRY which was tricky. So now I don't bother:)

Back