Alcohol Problem?

Thanks for your support. It's still hard at times - not, choosing not to drink, but more with people's understanding. Like at work today when some people were asking what I'm doing for my birthday. I said no to club / pub crawl as I'm not drinking now. "What?? But it's your BIRTHDay!!" But obviously I don't really want everyone to know all the ins and outs of it so, I'm just not drinking now. They don't understand that the first one is the one that causes the problem for some people (like me), as that's when self-control and all good intentions go out of the window. But basically, in Sept I'm 6 month sober on the 5th, and 42 on the 26th (I'd thought I was already 42 and going to be 43 this month til someone else worked it out today - haha). My 6 month sober birthday is more important to me, so I won't be taking a drink to celebrate. Maybe some very posh tea from the tea shop menu (one of the £4 a pot ones that I wouldn't usually look at) and def some cake. Possibly even a takeaway. There's different things I want to get out of my life now :D

Hey it's my birthday on the 26th too! I'm 48 though. I don't drink at all - I've been clean and sober of all drugs/drink for over seven years now. Basically I was getting myself in hot water getting totally bladdered and blacking out after getting up to some things I'm not proud of to say the least. The next day my partner/friends would remind me what happened and I'd be mortified. Like you it was the first drink that did the damage - and that's why becoming sober is easy for me - I just have to say 'no' to one drink - the next one.

Hey it's my birthday on the 26th too! I'm 48 though. I don't drink at all - I've been clean and sober of all drugs/drink for over seven years now. Basically I was getting myself in hot water getting totally bladdered and blacking out after getting up to some things I'm not proud of to say the least. The next day my partner/friends would remind me what happened and I'd be mortified. Like you it was the first drink that did the damage - and that's why becoming sober is easy for me - I just have to say 'no' to one drink - the next one.

Well done on 7 years!! :D

I agree!! If I don't have the first drink, I wont have the tenth! :)

I am four years sober. Best thing I ever did. :)

Well done. xxx

I'm the same as you lucky7, I love my Chenin Blanc or vodka, but I would happily too swap for either low or non alcoholic versions but I am yet to find a nice dry white wine that doesn't contain 13%. Can anyone recommend one that is a dry white?

This is a really timely thread revival for me.
I don't drink masses but I drink most days - usually a couple of glasses of wine or couple of beers, sometimes a little more.
I don't drink for good reasons any more - I haven't even been enjoying the taste lately. It's more to 'treat myself', to feel like I can have something nice, and as a marker that I'm home and can relax and 'escape'.
The same reasons I overeat really!
I know it's not going to support maintaining my weight loss at all to keep drinking like this. I also think if I was a bit sharper in the evenings I might be able to make more of a move towards improving my life e.g. applying for new jobsI

I'm making some moves to try and sort out my mental health a bit but it is a long-term struggle. For now, I'm starting with a very small step and giving up alcohol for four days - this is day 2. I want to make it a weekend-only thing mostly. Yesterday wasn't hard so that's encouraging. I had an ice cream instead but hey!

Glad you managed to make this change Lucky. Do you feel better in general regarding your health now?

Sorry - not been on the forum for a few days. Yes, much better with regard to my health, and more peaceful and content. (Although that can't be said of the first month when I was going it alone - that wasn't a good time at all). And for me certainly, cutting down really didn't work. I had to get that monkey off my shoulder!

Good luck with cutting down - I hope you succeed xx

I can completely relate to this thread, I would continually save up all my syns for alcohol, but I seem to have kicked the urge now. I used to have a drink every night, but have managed to not drink if I'm working the next day. I now save syns to treat myself to a bottle of wine at the weekend and not feel guilty about it and enjoy it. I also try not to keep any alcohol in the house cos if it's there I'm hard pushed to resist it!

This is a really good read and very well done to every that is trying to stop or cut down I have a big problem with drinking and am on day 2 of trying 2 weeks sober(small steps at a time) we going away for the weekend in 2 weeks so getting to then is my goal Xx

Well done Lisa - how's it going? x

Well -I thought as lots of people seem to be talking about doing a sober January, and for me it just continues (one day at a time) I'd give a quick update of my alcohol free journey.

This was my first alcohol-free Christmas, and it was very different to the ones I've had in past years for a number of reasons.

Plus points...
... I managed to cook the stuff I'd bought for Xmas dinner fir the first time in years. I'm not saying everything always goes to plan when sober - but it's much more likely.
... I could drive us to see relatives and invite them to spend time with me without feeling unreasonable resentments about the visits stopping me having a drink.
... I spent less money (and the same can be said of every week of the year) - this meant that I could buy some new shoes for an elderly friend on Boxing Day when I visited and saw the state of his (only) pair. I'm not sure I'd have noticed before, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend £65 on his shoes when I could have a couple of good nights out on that.
... so far I've only had one week off. It feels like it's been a decent rest, even though I've had a nasty cold
... I managed to stay awake for (and not embarrass myself at) midnight mass. Bonus!!
... I had some lovely new friends to spend time with - people from AA and from my local church. I was more involved in things - I sang and did a reading in the Carol Service in church - not something I'd have committed to and / or seen through before.
... No inappropriate behaviour / comments to wake up berating myself for after Xmas do's. I also looked as good when I left parties as I had when I'd turned up. (Not that I stayed long tbh).
... 'simple' pleasures. Putting the tree up (and taking the bugger down again on Boxing Day when the needles were getting on my nerves); wrapping gifts nicely; christmas shopping with too many tea and cake stops admittedly. These activities were all enjoyed in a different way to what I was capable of doing before. I don't seem to need to constant stimulation that I once thrived on.

Challenges...
... Christmas parties (the kind where you're surrounded by very drunk and screechy colleagues or people you don't know well) are dismal. I lasted an hour and then, like Cinderella, escaped into the night and went home for pyjamas and hot chocolate and a good book. (Top tip for anyone attempting sobriety - plan your escape route!!)
...My colds this year have felt much worse - mainly because I'm not just drinking myself into oblivion as a means of self-medication. Mneughhh. (Note: negative feelings generally need to be dealt with in a different way to in the past. I've discovered that alcohol had turned into a way of dealing with pretty much anything I didn't want to / couldn't cope with. On a light note this could be a common cold. More seriously, I have had some nasty depressive episodes. Thankfully I have an astute and understanding boss who has referred me for counselling, which is proving very helpful. AA is also a strong lifeline. (Top tip - there are people out there who can help you. Chances are that your GP will be as much use as a chocolate fire-guard (this being based on my own, and other people I know's experiences - yours MAY be great. Give them a go, but you may need to look elsewhere to get the help YOU need!)
... staying awake to go to the midnight mass was much more difficult - next year I'll go to the Crib Service early evening instead as a compromise (Be flexible and keep things simple. Do what it easiest and be gentle with yourself.
.. some of my old drinking pals seem determined to get me to drink again. This is sad, but if I'm honest with myself, I have put alcohol before friendships many times in the past. It isn't personal. And sometimes I just need to accept that some 'friendships' were nothing more than drinking acquaintances. Top tip: Some situations and people will need to be avoided. (My rule is now, if they don't respect my desire for sobriety; calm; health and happiness, then I need to move on. This may only be temporary, but I suspect not.)

(These are just the things occurring to me at the moment - I may edit this post and add things that occur to me as my cold / flu tablets start working and my head starts to think more clearly.)

If you're worried about your own drinking, please remember that this is a very common issue. Certainly, at the AA group I go to regularly there are a large % of ladies. Many of them being respectable, middle-aged and even elderly ladies as well as men. There are also a number of younger people. You do not need to be on a park bench; drinking every day; destitute; or secretly drinking to be an alcoholic. If you're powerless over alcohol, and although you know that it is detrimental to your standard of living but it still has a hold over you, then there is amazing and free help available for you, and people are waiting to welcome you with open arms and support you if you decide to ask for that help. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to contact me by private message if you want to. I'm in my very early days compared with the people who are supporting me, but can remember how scary and hard those first steps can be, and I may be able to give you a link or phone number that will be helpful.

Happy New Year to all on Minimins. Thanks for all your SW support, tips and encouragement. xx

Great update, and it sounds as if you had a lovely Christmas! Well done on your achievement - you should be very proud of yourself.

Just had to post a comment. .massive well done to you. Just read the whole thread and alot, admittedly not all of what has been said has hit home. I have been thinking about abstaining as alcohol is definitely the cause of my weight gain. Just made my mind up. Tea total as from today. Thanks again for posting. Take good care of yourself x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Great update Lucky 7 - thank you. Wishing you a healthy and happy alcohol free 2015 x

This is a truly inspirational thread. Lucky7, I think that you have done amazingly well. As a very keen whisky and red wine drinker (not mixed), I can relate to so many of the things that you have written in the thread.

I think that the one day at a time is a great way to go. I know that another site has a daily thread for people who are choosing to stay off the booze. I have taken part and have been successful. However, I always succumb to the booze when I'm feeling down. Sadly, I tend to feel down more days than I feel up.

Perhaps I need to take each day as it comes and just hope that my willpower will overpower my urge to pick up a bottle.

This is a truly inspirational thread. Lucky7, I think that you have done amazingly well. As a very keen whisky and red wine drinker (not mixed), I can relate to so many of the things that you have written in the thread.

I think that the one day at a time is a great way to go. I know that another site has a daily thread for people who are choosing to stay off the booze. I have taken part and have been successful. However, I always succumb to the booze when I'm feeling down. Sadly, I tend to feel down more days than I feel up.

Perhaps I need to take each day as it comes and just hope that my willpower will overpower my urge to pick up a bottle.

Good luck. Feeling down is a common trigger. I try to remember HALT...
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

I've read some good books that really helped in the early weeks and months (and that I still have a re-read of occasionally now). A short and down-to-earth read are Monkey on my Shoulder by The Monkey (for 77p) and Living Sober by AA World Services (£2.45) . I got them from Amazon for my Kindle (or Cloud Reader which you can download for free). I also bought a paper copy of the Living Sober one as a gift for my elderly friend who wanted to stop drinking but didn't get on with AA group idea (he's more of a loner / stubborn old sod) and he says he's read it daily and only had a drink once in about 4 months.

xx

Back