Alcohol Problem?

Thanks for the tips. I can relate to HALT - I am often all four!

Yes - and they're the same triggers for my sugar cravings as well!!

Here we go. 1st sober New Years Eve for many, many years. Oh well - at least I know I'll be keeping safe and won't have a hangover tomorrow. We're going to a Rock n Roll club where there's a few bands playing - wonder if I'll get past 10.30pm?!!? I'm wearing my lovely new Voodoo Vixen dress (which I saw on the Pampers and Curls Blog - modelled below by Betty Pamper. It's very flattering thank goodness!)
cherry blossom voodoo vixen betty pamper.JPG

Have an excellent time!

You look amazing xx
Thanks, but unfortunately that's not me - it's Betty Pamper from the Pampers and Curls blog where I saw it and decided to buy it. I'm no good at selfies and my other half seems to thing photographs are a dangerous kind of voodoo to be avoided at all cost, so there's no pics of me in mine. To be honest I don't look bad in mine either - wish I could have had a loan of her bag for the evening as well!! lol x

Happy new year lucky!

This may sound like a silly question, but what soft drinks do you have when you go to a pub or out for the evening.

I'm wondering as as of today I'm going to stop drinking, but we always go out either a Friday or Saturday night to the local pub. I don't drink cola or lemonade, so was wondering what low syn drinks you have.

XX

Hi Sookie - it's not a silly question at all. Sometimes I still struggle to think what I fancy to drink when I'm out. These are usually my main options...

Sparkling water if I'm feeling super-healthy and syn-free.

Sugar free mixers like tonic water are okay (but often T I N Y and I do tend to drink most drinks fast)

Becks Blue is 2.5 syns per bottle, so works out the same as a small shot, but I think that if you're used to 'proper' lager you might hate it - I never really drank lager much before, so I actually don't mind it.

Grapefruit and soda is pretty low on syns (depends on size of the bottle), but most juices are too high, and to be honest, this one's rare for me.

I try to take my sweeteners out with me as well, and then tea or coffee is an option in some pubs if it's daytime or not too busy - it does make my OH roll his eyes at me though :(

I also had a private chat and gifted my 'local' pub landlord some of my favourite syn-free squashes on the understanding that he should still charge me for them like his regular cordials, so I could have them with soda water as a long drink. This was the best option and a life saver in the warm weather, but I've moved house since then so don't really know any of the pub landlords well enough to ask them for this.

Hope this helps a bit.

:)

Hi Sookie - it's not a silly question at all. Sometimes I still struggle to think what I fancy to drink when I'm out. These are usually my main options... Sparkling water if I'm feeling super-healthy and syn-free. Sugar free mixers like tonic water are okay (but often T I N Y and I do tend to drink most drinks fast) Becks Blue is 2.5 syns per bottle, so works out the same as a small shot, but I think that if you're used to 'proper' lager you might hate it - I never really drank lager much before, so I actually don't mind it. Grapefruit and soda is pretty low on syns (depends on size of the bottle), but most juices are too high, and to be honest, this one's rare for me. I try to take my sweeteners out with me as well, and then tea or coffee is an option in some pubs if it's daytime or not too busy - it does make my OH roll his eyes at me though :( I also had a private chat and gifted my 'local' pub landlord some of my favourite syn-free squashes on the understanding that he should still charge me for them like his regular cordials, so I could have them with soda water as a long drink. This was the best option and a life saver in the warm weather, but I've moved house since then so don't really know any of the pub landlords well enough to ask them for this. Hope this helps a bit. :)

Many thanks for the reply.

Like you I drink super quick. And the bottles of tonic are so small lol.. My OH has just said he is going to cut back on his drinking so fingers crossed the weekly visit to the pub will be put on hold for sometime.
When we have gone out and I have asked for fizzy water his face is a picture lol..
I also don't drink tea or coffee. So with me its water, squash or alcohol..have found that when I fancy an alcoholic drink ginger ale curbs the feeling so shall be going to the shop tomorrow to stock up on that. X

lime and diet lemonade
diet coke and lemon on ice
good ole pint of water!
booze free lager (not sure on syns)
there's some fab low alcohol radlers/lager in eastern europe, hopefully it will make its way over to the UK soon. good for avoiding alcohol. although not sure on syns

I gave up drinking over a year ago, i have the occasional pint bt it makes me feel ill now. This comes from someone who was a big drinker! it can be conquered, and when you know you've done it you'll feel amazing! i go out raving/clubbing and just dance all night and have more fun than when i was drunk.

lime and diet lemonade diet coke and lemon on ice good ole pint of water! booze free lager (not sure on syns) there's some fab low alcohol radlers/lager in eastern europe, hopefully it will make its way over to the UK soon. good for avoiding alcohol. although not sure on syns I gave up drinking over a year ago, i have the occasional pint bt it makes me feel ill now. This comes from someone who was a big drinker! it can be conquered, and when you know you've done it you'll feel amazing! i go out raving/clubbing and just dance all night and have more fun than when i was drunk.

We go to Spain a lot, and they do seem to have a lot more 0 alcohol drinks. Flavoured larges and shandies. Will see if I can find the syns for them, as off to Spain in a few weeks time.

Hi Lucky7
You are such an inspiration to everyone and so open and honest with your life. Thank you !!!:flowers::thankyou:

Hi Lucky7
You are such an inspiration to everyone and so open and honest with your life. Thank you !!!:flowers::thankyou:

Thank you xx

I'm struggling with this at the mo. I'm by no means dependant but I drink beer and when I'm on a night out can easily pack away 12 cans. I weigh in on Monday so a weekend in the beer is not helpful to any weightloss. I can't drink anything else (I can't cope with hangovers which beer don't give me) but thinking how much I can't Sri k it makes me always want a drink lol

The fact you went on the aa website to answer questions shows you must think you have a problem? It is hard to get out of a routine... I was the same as you but then one day I woke up sick of feeling rough and this will power came from nowhere lol I always lose weight the weeks I don't have a drop of alcohol. Now I just drink now and again but when I do I binge drink which isn't good! Good luck Hun

Haha - I think THIS just goes to show how you believe what you want to, (or I do), and how brilliantly self-deceptive the average alcoholic generally is.

Just a quick update. I gave up alcohol 'For Lent' on 5th March 2014. In my heart I was hoping for it to be longer term, but know that I would not gain the support of my partner and drinking friends by saying that, so I lied. (Yes. Another lie). After 3 weeks I realised that I did need some help, and managed to finally get myself to an AA meeting (only took 4 and a half years for your words of wisdom to sink in). Anyway. I will be 6 months sober on Friday and intend to treat myself to something delicious and alcohol (if not syn) free.

Since starting my AA / sober journey I have moved house, so am not regularly mixing with my old drinking friends. I have made a lot of new friends though, through AA and the church I started to attend when I moved. I think that I am also ready to become more 'involved' in my work place (slowly slowly). Obviusly, the new friends aren't close friends, but I'm happy to take things more slowly in general now. I have also realised how distructive I was of some old friendships in the past and have made some apologies and mended some old damaged friendships which I would never have done if I was still drinking.

My favourite place to go is a monthly Rock n Roll event which I can drive to (out in the sticks) because I'm not drinking. They've always got a MASSIVE selection of syn-free soft drinks, and a live band and DJ's worth dancing to. I would never have gone there when I was drinking as it would have been a logistical nightmare to do so.

Anyway - a belated thanks to those people who took time to give advise. It didn't fall on completely deaf ears. It just took a while.

Still going - second sober Xmas under my belt and happier than I ever have been in my adult life.

Now - time to stop eating all this Xmas rubbish and blow the cobwebs off my running shoes. Looking forward to some healthy and tasty SW dinners, and getting out in the fresh air for some exercise. Going to be using the NHS Couch to 5k podcasts, and then participate in some local Park Runs at the weekend and join in with the running and keep fit classes that my boss organises at work.

Bring on 2016 - I just hope it's even half as good as 2015 :D

Back