Alex's Diary - No big goals, just taking one day at a time!

Forgot to say, I've now lost all the weight I gained last weekend, so I've decided to upload my ticker!
I didn't want to do it until I'd undone the damage! :)

Well done you, sounds like you are really on track, once those pounds start coming off it is an incentive in itself to keep going. I still haven't managed to shift the last pound of the 2 I put on when I was away last weekend but trying not to be too downhearted.
No snow here, just ice and sun!

KB

It's hard isn't it KB? I felt really downhearted when I put that 5 and a half pounds on last weekend, and that feeling didn't go until the weight had.
I think some of mine was TOTM water retention, so that's why it went so quickly. I'm sure yours will be gone soon too, and you'll be back on track with your goals.
We can't stop living just because we're trying to lose weight can we? Weekends away/holidays/parties are there to be enjoyed, and we'd only resent our diets if we couldn't do those things for fear of putting weight on...
I think I need to develop better strategies for when I do go away, so I don't keep gaining so much weight, and I suppose this trip to Japan will be the test... watch this space!

I think Japanese food is one of the healthiest?

Yeah, PK, I think it is... although I'm not convinced about sushi. I suppose if I'm ever going to try it, Japan would be the place to do it.
My friend has just booked the ticket so it's starting to seem real now!!! Just need to sort out my currency, and pack my case now :)

On the food front, today's been another pretty good day:

Porridge
Satsuma
Beans on 2 slices of seeded bread (no butter)
WW bolognese bake, with mixed veg
Might have a little treat later - maybe a cereal bar or a curly wurly

I was in a meeting all afternoon so didn't have chance to snack, but surprisingly I didn't feel hungry (normally I'm ready to chew my own arm off by about 3.30pm!!)
Still feeling motivated, but the desire to exercise has dropped off. I really can't be bothered today!

Currency is ordered...still no suitcase! Feeling like I've got millions on things to do before I go, but sure it'll all come together tomorrow.

This is today's food diary:
Porridge
Snack a Jack (one of the big round salt & vinegar ones)
Heinz tomato soup with one slice of bread
A few grapes
Alpen light bar
Jacket potato with tuna mayo

And I might have a curly wurly before bed because I didn't have one yesterday :)

Weigh in day at work tomorrow - we have a little slimming group in our office, and the money goes to charity (50p if you lose or STS, £1 if you gain!!). I'll let you know how it goes...

I have to have lists if I travel anywhere :D

I think a good list is the way forward for me.., I've also been organising a 40th birthday celebration for somebody at work, so my brain seems to be exploding with things to remember (it doesn't take much to get me confused!)

I weighed in at work this morning, and.......I lost 4 and three-quarter pounds!!! :party0038:

I'm not updating my ticker til the official weigh in at the doctors though, and that isn't until the 24th.

Oh Alex, well done you, that's great news, hope it shows the same on the docs scales, or even more! Half the fun of going away is the packing and the lead up to it all so enjoy!

Thanks KB - I'm almost packed now, and I've officially checked in and printed my boarding pass!
So far I'm in economy, but on an aisle seat, so I won't be squashing people both sides! There's still hope that I might get upgraded though.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop on, and say goodbye. I'm hoping for an early night tonight as I have to be up at 4am!
Take care everyone...see you when I get back!! xxx

Have fun Alex! :) (Soooooooo jealous)

ohhhh how exciting. hope you have a blast!!

Helloooo...I'm back, and I did have a blast!! :D:D:D
I got upgraded to upper class on the journey out there (normally a £4k seat!) I had champagne at the bar, my own 'pod' that turned from a seat into a bed, an entertainment system with loads of films, a three-course meal with proper plates and cutlery, snacks and drinks whenever I wanted them, you name it - I had it!
We arrived at 9am Japanese time and went straight out into Narita town. We were knackered but decided to stay up as long as we could to beat the jetlag. Narita was lovely, we went to a temple and had a look around the shops, then we caught the bus back to the hotel and went to sleep.
On the second day we went into Tokyo, which was out of this world!!! It was everything I expected it to be, but loads more besides. We saw three different areas of the city, all different, but all fantastic. Just walking down the street was a massive hit on the senses - the people, the lights, the shops, the sounds - it's so hard to explain.
At about 5pm we went into a shop that sold the most gorgeous things - fashion, bags, postcards, pictures, jewellery and loads more. We were in there so long that we hadn't realised that it had gone dark outside, so when we stepped outside all the lights were on eveywhere and it looked AMAZING! It was just how you imagine it to be, the lights of the billboards, the shops and the cars completely illuminate the city.
After taking loads of photographs, we caught the train back to the hotel, ate in the restaurant and went to bed - the following day was the flight home, so we couldn't have a late night.
I didn't get my upgrade to upper class on the way home, but I did get premuim economy, which is still a big perk - what made it even better was that I got to go into the flight deck and chat to the captain (who I'd met on the crew bus earlier), she was lovely, and had her picture taken with me in the bar later in the flight. In fact, everybody was lovely - the first officer even took my camera into the flight deck and took pictures of the scenery on the journey!
So now I'm home - about 6lbs heavier, and with a constant feeling of motion (probably due to spending 24 hours travelling in 4 days, not including bus and train journeys :eek:) but I am sooooo glad I went!
Thanks to everybody who talked me into going!!! :) I can't believe I let my embarrassment nearly stop me from taking this opportunity!

Now back to this weight loss malarkey.....

First day back at work today, and it's been a nightmare.....(warning, big rant ahead!)

Firstly I woke up an hour late because I'd set my mobile to the wrong time when I got back to the UK!
When I finally got to work, I couldn't do anything because of my crappy computer. - Before I went away, it kept switching itself off because of a 'thermal event'. I logged a call with IT and it was supposedly sorted when I was away. Needless to say, the same thing kept happening today, so had to get IT out again, and, cutting a long story short it wasn't fixable so they condemned it and now I'm using an old spare one we had in the cupboard.
To top it off, one of my colleagues was away with the fairies all day and I couldn't get any sense out of her. Take this conversation for example, this exchange took place as I was making a cup of tea...
Me: "This spoon looks dirty, it doesn't look like it's been washed for a day or two"
Colleague: "yes, we have had a lot of post today haven't we?" (WTF!!!!)
I also had a massive headache all day, and still have that constant motion feeling going on, which is making me feel queasy and odd (more so than usual)

Apart from that, I'm fine!!! Sorry to moan, I know I've just been on a trip that some people would give their right arm to go on, but I think I'm well and truly back to earth with a thud!

Eating-wise, I've been OK, but feeling a bit de-motivated as I've just realised that I'm now the same weight as I was last time I went to get weighed at the doctors (over 2 weeks ago), and I've only got until the 24th until I get weighed again. I was really hoping to have a good weight loss to show, but all I've done is lose 3-4lbs and then put them back on again a couple of times!!

Oh well, this is today's food so far:

Porridge
Heinz tomato soup
1 slice of bread
1 round S&V SnackaJack
1 Apple
1 Dairy Box chocolate
And tonight I'm having mushroom risotto, that I made and froze a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
gawd that sounds very stressful Alex :(. I completely sympathise. All our office equipment is refurbished 2nd hand crap that was supposed to be replaced last year. At the minute 54 of us seem to be sharing 1 printer.

You're probably still abit tired from the travelling too

Thanks PK, and sorry to sound so grumpy!
The computer still isn't working - well it's actually the printer that won't work now, which isn't ideal when the majority of my job involves printing....grrrrrr :mad:. Still waiting fot IT to come back and sort it out.
I think I am a bit tired to be honest...and overwhelmed by the amount of work I've got - hopefully I'll feel better after a couple of early nights.

Onto other news - we had our office weigh-in this morning, and I gained a pound and a half this week :cry: ...hoping to lose that, and a bit more before next week's weigh-in.

Forgot to post what I ate yesterday:
Porridge
WW Soup, with 2 slices of bread
Jacket Potato with Vegetable Chilli and grated cheese :eek:
About 5 Haribo sweets (pointless calories as they were the really sour ones I don't even like)
1 Roses chocolate
WW mini mangnum thingy

Not a great day - I was disheartened after another gain, and I kinda feel like I've been treading water since I last got weighed at the doctors.
I should be going flat out to lose as much as I can before the 24th (weigh-in day), but I can feel my willpower slipping :(

Today I've had:
Porridge
Beans on toast
and tonight I'm having spag bol from the freezer.

Got my Tesco order coming later too, so hopefully I'll feel better when I've got nicer stuff to eat...

...on a more positive note, my computer at work is now fixed :D

Just think of it as a little hump to hike over!!

Just think of it as a little hump to hike over!!
This comment reminded me of the graph on my Wii Fit that plots your weight loss/gain over the weeks. Mine looks like a mountain range at the moment!! Up...down...up...down! Hopefully there'll be more downs than ups from now on!

Better day today...I'm feeling hungry but I've got it under control, for now!

So far I've had:
Porridge
Heinz tomato soup with 1 1/2 slices of bread
A small apple
Alpen Light bar
Few grapes
1 roses chocolate
And I'm about to have a jacket potato with chilli.

I'm trying out a recipe for the chilli that somebody at work gave to me - she cooked it the other week for the Virgin Vie party I went to, and it was bloody lovely. It's not strictly a low-fat recipe but I'm using extra lean mince and hardly any oil to cook with.
If it turns out OK I might try it with Quorn next time, to get the fat content even lower.

Afterwards I'm gonna try a WW Caramel Crunch desert. I've heard good things about them, so I hope they live up to expectations!

Going out for drinks tomorrow night - gonna try to stick to the vodka rather than the Belgian beer I usually give in to!

Back