Extra Easy am confused about 1/3rd plate of superfree foods

hi i joined sw last night and i think ive got my head round it. am trying extra easy but then ive read about 1/3rd plate having super free foods but does that have to be physically 1/3rd of the plate or can the superfree foods be mixed in with the free foods? i had cold tuna pasta salad for my dinner today but mixed chopped carrots, cucumber and celery in with it but it was not separate on the plate. does that still count? i like to make curries or sweet/sour chicken with veg mixed in with it, does that count as 1/3rd of the plate or does it have to be separate? also final question............does breakfast have to consist of 1/rd superfree foods?? sorry for sounding thick but its better that i ask this now :)

joanne

Yes your superfree food can be part of the meal ingredients and yes you should to follow the superfree rule at all meals including breakfast :)

Berries or banana and yoghurt are how I get my superfree in in the morning. It's just a matter if planning your meals out and you will be fine.
Best of luck!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I've never stuck to this and I've always lost weight every week ( 11.5 lb ) in 5 weeks! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Williams said:
I've never stuck to this and I've always lost weight every week ( 11.5 lb ) in 5 weeks! Xx

OMG give me strength :mad:

So are you telling her not to follow the 1/3 rule and she'll still loose weight :confused:

I'm sorry but you can't come on to the SW forum and tell someone you aren't following SW but you still loose weight, she asked for advice about SW and you're practically telling her now to follow the plan because it's somehow working for you!!

Some people!!!!

*EDIT*

Reading through all your other posts has annoyed me too, you boast about eating take-aways, not counting syns in sweets etc and you still loose, people don't need to read stuff like this!!! Everyone wants to hear from people WHO FOLLOW THE PLAN and not those who claim to be on SW but not follow the plan!!!!! How is that helping anyone!

Last edited:
Hi Joanne, hope I can help a little bit :)

The 1/3rd rule means generally 1/3 of your meal needs to be SuperFree - I tend to think of it more as my meal than my plate.

Like you I eat a lot of meals which incorporate SuperFree foods, i.e. pasta sauces, curries, stews, etc. I think it's really a case of judgement. For example, if I decided I fancy pasta I'll make up a sauce from chopped tomatoes (SF), onions (SF), peppers (SF) and mushrooms (SF), etc. The whole sauce is basically SuperFree, so for that you wouldn't need to serve it with extra vegetables - unless of course you fancied them.

On another end of the spectrum, if you fancied maybe a 'fried' breakfast one morning, you'd have to fill your plate with more SuperFree foods as they are not incorporated any way into a recipe of some sort. I.e. you could have bacon, egg, sausages (Synned) and then you'd need some SuperFree in there. So, you could have chopped tomatoes (SF), mushrooms (SF), onions (SF), etc.

It's about finding what works best for you, and how you best incorporate the SuperFree foods into your meals.

Hope this helps a bit and I haven't confused you even more lol! Good luck with your Slimming World journey xx

My old C used to say you you didn't have to include the 1/3 rule with your breakfast if for some reason you couldn't, if some people are short on time they may not be able to cook/preprare the fruit or veg go with it. Or if you didnt like fruit on cereal & eating a bowl or cereal filled you up enough without eating fruit after, that's ok as you eat when you need to, not just to eat. On the other hand, if you have time or can prepare in advance there are plenty of ways of having 1/3 with your breakfast, my C just said its not vital if you cant do it. She said to ensure you did have your 1/3 with your other meals.

Get back to us in 6 months... :rolleyes:

My old C used to say you you didn't have to include the 1/3 rule with your breakfast if for some reason you couldn't, if some people are short on time they may not be able to cook/preprare the fruit or veg go with it. Or if you didnt like fruit on cereal & eating a bowl or cereal filled you up enough without eating fruit after, that's ok as you eat when you need to, not just to eat. On the other hand, if you have time or can prepare in advance there are plenty of ways of having 1/3 with your breakfast, my C just said its not vital if you cant do it. She said to ensure you did have your 1/3 with your other meals.

I don't understand why breakfast would be any different from lunch or dinner? Our consultant encourages us to have 1/3rd SuperFree with every meal, as the plan states.

I don't understand why breakfast would be any different from lunch or dinner? Our consultant encourages us to have 1/3rd SuperFree with every meal, as the plan states.

I think it depends what you're eating. If it's something like a cereal bar or 2 pieces of toast that you aren't going to eat any less of just because you're eating supefree as well then its less important to do so - although its still a good idea, eg to stop you getting hungry half way through the morning and snacking on junk, as well as to get you a balanced diet. But if its something like a fry up then obviously its better to get your veggies in there so you eat less sausage, bacon, toast, whatever.

Also at the end of the day if its the difference between it being convenient and therefore you sticking to the plan, and it being inconvenient so you dont bother it is sensible to go for the convenient cereal bar/toast and skip the SF at least in the odd occasion.

The official line is 1/3 superfree wit everything, but at the same time we've got to accept this is not always practical/possible at every single meal so we have to use our common sense.

Thanks Erm. You're right, that makes sense! We can always count on you :)

thanks for your help everyone, its easier to think of 1/3rd of the meal having superfree foods rather than the plate! had a green day today and made mushy pea curry with rice which looks horrible but tastes lovely!
joanne

ermintrude said:
I think it depends what you're eating. If it's something like a cereal bar or 2 pieces of toast that you aren't going to eat any less of just because you're eating supefree as well then its less important to do so - although its still a good idea, eg to stop you getting hungry half way through the morning and snacking on junk, as well as to get you a balanced diet. But if its something like a fry up then obviously its better to get your veggies in there so you eat less sausage, bacon, toast, whatever.

Also at the end of the day if its the difference between it being convenient and therefore you sticking to the plan, and it being inconvenient so you dont bother it is sensible to go for the convenient cereal bar/toast and skip the SF at least in the odd occasion.

The official line is 1/3 superfree wit everything, but at the same time we've got to accept this is not always practical/possible at every single meal so we have to use our common sense.

As I understand it, sw recommend that you follow the 1/3 rule on every meal, however at least 2 meals a day must be superfree, but obviously the more superfree the better!

=Debsie_websie;4723912]As I understand it, sw recommend that you follow the 1/3 rule on every meal, however at least 2 meals a day must be superfree, but obviously the more superfree the better!

As I said:

"
"

vanilla_cupcake said:

So are you telling her not to follow the 1/3 rule and she'll still loose weight :confused:

I'm sorry but you can't come on to the SW forum and tell someone you aren't following SW but you still loose weight, she asked for advice about SW and you're practically telling her now to follow the plan because it's somehow working for you!!

Some people!!!!

*EDIT*

Reading through all your other posts has annoyed me too, you boast about eating take-aways, not counting syns in sweets etc and you still loose, people don't need to read stuff like this!!! Everyone wants to hear from people WHO FOLLOW THE PLAN and not those who claim to be on SW but not follow the plan!!!!! How is that helping anyone!

No what I'm saying is..... I started 6 weeks ago and was confused too about the 1/3 superfree rule, so I hardly had it on my plate, and still don't, and I still lose weight!
I'm just saying what works for me!!!!!
It's up too her what she does and what works best for her.....!!!!

Take a chill pill x

vanilla_cupcake said:

Some people!!!!

*EDIT*

Ohhh and as for "Not following the plan"... My booze and takeaways are syned, ihave a max of 105 syns aweek which I can do whatever I want with..... I don't stuff cake crisps or chocolate I choose those things!
My weigh loss is going brill, it's not a diet it's a life change for me!

As everyone has said it isn't always possible to include 1/3 superfree with your breakfast. I don't have it with mine, but I do make sure that when Im peckish (around 11am) I'll always reach for superfree.

Williams said:
No what I'm saying is..... I started 6 weeks ago and was confused too about the 1/3 superfree rule, so I hardly had it on my plate, and still don't, and I still lose weight!
I'm just saying what works for me!!!!!
It's up too her what she does and what works best for her.....!!!!

Take a chill pill x

I think it's brilliant you've been able to loose whilst not following the 1/3rd super free recommendation. My only note of caution would be that when (& I do mean when) that stops working for you, really do try & do the 1/3rd before deciding it doesn't work, and expect that if you ask for advice on here, at group etc when your weight loss stalls, the advice will inevitably be to increase your super free proportions.

As you say, some people can get away with it, especially if their lifestyle pre SW was pretty much takeaway & rubbish. Equally, some people can get away with 105 Syns used weekly.

However, the extra easy PLAN, is follow the 1/3rd super free recommendation (on your plate), have 10-15 Syns a day (not 105 a week), and have 1 heb & 1 hea a day, and as I understand it the OP asked how to follow the plan, not tweak it.

OP As Lisa says as well, some meals just don't lend themselves to 1/3rd super free, so on those days, you really should be snacking on super free exclusively, it should be your first choice anyway!

Not exactly on topic but might help, buying cheap frozen berries and stirring them into porridge in the morning is a great way to get your superfree with breakfast.

Back