Am depressed today - weight has crept up and I can't seem to budge it this time

Hi everyone

I'm holding on - trying to go back to basics as much as I can. I haven't done any exercise (boo!) but have been managing better and am trying not to let it all get to me. I had lost 2 pounds between Monday and Friday, but I had some bad foods on Saturday at a Jubilee party so I'm not expecting miracles here. Still, I'm back on plan and am just taking one day at a time.

Thank you all so much for your kinds words and support :)

Keep it up! two pounds is awsome! And even if the cheating stalls you it's only for two days while the sugars clear out if you didn't eat loads off plan and even if you did maybe four, just don't get disheartened by it. Guilt never helped anyone. I'm always told water water water to help clear out the nastys.

Glad you are back on plan, Me too as it happens. Lost my week off gain weight! Hooray for low carb!

The Atkins official site (The Atkins Community) has a nutritionist called Dr Colette Heimowiz. She advises, if losses stall for long periods or gains are experienced, to 'get real' about portion sizes and moderate exercise. She also says that if you are doing it all correctly and still not losing weight then yes, you may need to count calories, too.

Atkins was never designed to be a fast loss plan, rather it is a different way of eating and living, but many do experience frequent stalls and even gains. The weight loss is fast at the beginning because the body gets a shock I suppose at the removal of its staple diet of carbs. After a year or two or longer the body is completely used to low carbing.

I would try smaller portions and keeping a careful eye on calories. You may be pleasantly surprised by the results. Good luck!

Hi Sera and welcome back to the forum.

i agree with the others, go back to basics (as I'm doing, after crashing off the wagon bigtime months ago) and I'm sure you will nail it :)

Seraphine said:
Hi everyone

I'm holding on - trying to go back to basics as much as I can. I haven't done any exercise (boo!) but have been managing better and am trying not to let it all get to me. I had lost 2 pounds between Monday and Friday, but I had some bad foods on Saturday at a Jubilee party so I'm not expecting miracles here. Still, I'm back on plan and am just taking one day at a time.

Thank you all so much for your kinds words and support :)

Hi, just out of interest and a little off topic, how did your husband do when he switched from Atkins to slimming world? Does it take the body time to adjust or did he have a loss in his first week? Hope you're doing ok now whichever path you chose.

BlueCatLady/Tazbabe/Seraphine,

How are you all doing? I am kinda putting weight loss on the back burner as I am dealing with a whole set of symptoms that seem to me to be a slowed-down metabolism. Cold hands, constipation, fatigue, stalled weight loss, low blood pressure, slow heart rate, reduced appetite- it's pretty much low thyroid textbook. I've upped my carbs, am now eating potato, sweet potato, squash, and drinking milk. Also upped live yoghurt and chocolate too! I'm feeling much better for it. The dizziness when I stand up has stopped, at least, and I haven't had a serious bout of fatigue (I had a couple of days where I could barely move).

As for weight- pretty much stable, even though I'm not counting carbs, calories or anything. I gain and lose the same few pounds, but even with chips and choccie in my diet the fat isn't piling back on. :D At this point I feel like I want to get healthy first before trying to lose any more.

I think of myself as a warning to all dieters to pay attention to your body and don't ignore signs of a metabolic slowdown!

Blood test next week, for thyroid, liver function, kidneys- the whole lot.

Oh good boggins, glad you're getting the tests done as I was just going to say that they're textbook symptoms for quite a few things really (I'm thinking mainly in terms of my own experience - I have near all of those symptoms but it's not to do with my metabolism). Whatevers going on I hope you fervor worked out asap!

HI Hun
I really feel for you, but I agree with the lady above, re-read the book, go back to basics, keep a diary and check every thing your eating just in case carbs are secretly creeping in to your diet.
Keep us informed, good luck with your decision
j xx

minimemo said:
HI Hun
I really feel for you, but I agree with the lady above, re-read the book, go back to basics, keep a diary and check every thing your eating just in case carbs are secretly creeping in to your diet.
Keep us informed, good luck with your decision
j xx

How is it going today, J? I have done quite well since lunch the other day. Well done on your weight btw! x

Back