am I alone - put ON weight in first 3 weeks

gymbunny

I'm back at SW. I have been saintly for 3 full weeks. First weigh in - 2.5lbs on. Consultant checked my totally accurate and truthful diary - and I'd done it all right. Also exercised hard 6 out of 7 days (have to have a rest day)!! Second weigh in - 5lbs OFF - woo hoo, off I go I thought!!:cool: Last week - 3.5lbs ON. No sense to me. Have now had 2 BAD days not on plan and will therefore have gained again (but at least deserve it). :break_diet: Gone back to it today - plan to try hard for the rest of the week and hope for damage limitation by monday evening weigh in. BUT what the hell is going on??? I have at least managed to stick to exercising - thank goodness - but I am despairing I really am.:4633: (this is me just digging a hole and crawling into it - not going to bed!) HELP!

Hi what days are you doing is it mainly red, green or extra easy, I've found that when I do lots of extra easy my weight loss slows or stops, it may be that whatever you're doing doesn't either suit your metaboisim or is too similar to what you used to eat pre SW, was your consultant able to offer any advice

First week was green. When I had the gain I tried extra easy - and lost - so 3rd week I did that again - and gained again and even more? I honestly can't think why.

Maybe you are gaining muscle weight? Did you go to the gym as frequently before you joined group? Xoxo

It WON'T be muscle weight-muscle weighs exactly the same amount as fat. HOWEVER, the OP could be retaining water due to the amount of exercise, assuming they are relatively new to exercise

I've actually had to reduce the amount of exercise `i do as I was doing WAY too much - 3+ hours a day 7 days a week! Now, its HIIT 4 days a week, plus weight training 3 days and some yoga - only one long run a week and a full rest day. SO, yes, I have always been exercising this much. I think for it to be muscle I would now be like Arnie! Maybe water retention is an issue though. Meanwhile, i am having blood tests to check my thyroid again - but its always ok (historically my doc checks it annually as I have other symptoms of an underactive thyroid besides the weight problem). I am plodding on back with the diet as I can't really think of a viable alternative that doesn't mean huge gains (if I'm gaining on SW imagine what I can gain when I don't diet? Recently I was injured and managed to gain 14lbs in 14 days :eek: and I wasn't even trying!)
Thanks for the messages, its good to know someone is on your side.

Try measuring yourself as well as weighing, 2 weeks ago I started a new gym routine and put on 2lbs but lost 1.5 inches over the 5 places I measure myself (hips waist thighs bust upper arms) this week I've only lost 1lb but lost over an inch, as muscle is more compact than fat you will decrease in size even if you increase in weight.
My gym instructor isn't keen on scales as going by scales/charts he's morbidly obese when in reality he's solid muscle

thats a good idea. I am struggling again today - ok not struggling, more bingeing. :break_diet:

BUT maybe I can begin again(again, again) tomorrow and plan to do that. I don't look SO fat I suppose, just fatter than I want to/have in the past - if there were no such thing as scales maybe I wouldn't be so upset? Maybe weighing is the wrong thing for me - maybe dieting is. On the other hand, my clothes will get too tight to wear even if I don't look at the scales. I don't know, I am floundering around really.:sigh:

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I know it is not pleasant to put on weight but keep going as you will get there. Glad you have the support of your leader as well as us.

Irene xx

Back