am i being picky?

lucy.

Hello, I didn't really know where to post this so hope i've put it in the right place.

I recently started on an 8 week course of counselling at my local doctors. My first session was last Tuesday and I'm just home from my second one this afternoon. My reason for posting this is because I'm not too sure whether i'm being picky or not. The lady I have been put with isn't very nice, she makes snide comments whenever I mention a problem I'm having.

I am getting counselling because I was sexually abused at the age of 9 and have struggled mentally ever since. She made me imagine he was in the room with me and told me to tell him how I felt about him and how much of a negative impact he has had on my life, I told her I didn't want to do this as I didn't feel comfortable but she insisted. I am not the type of person to speak up for myself and just went ahead, resulting in me getting every upset and couldn't control my breathing.
I said to her i couldn't do it and she came back with the comment 'well i just thought it would help seeing as you can't seem to face up to what happened'. I sat there in disbelief, I am questioning whether i'm being picky but I'm pretty sure comments like that shouldn't be made regardless of what you believe.

We also have to fill out a questionnaire every time I go in, asking how you have been feeling the past week ect. I circled an 8 (1 being the lowest, 8 being the highest) on one of the questions and she said I was being 'over dramatic' and that it should probably be a 5 instead.
She is an elderly lady and sometimes forgets what she has said and constantly repeats herself, I am in no way being mean towards her age but she is in a job that needs concentration and understanding which I don't think she has either of.

I don't know what to do, should I complain or grin and bare it? xxxx

You don't appear to have a good therapeutic relationship with that lady. Therapies can only be successful if the client and the therapist can establish such a relationship, built on a lot of trust. Your experiences are extremely upsetting and difficult to overcome, sharing them with a stranger can be so daunting. If you feel you just cannot work with that therapist or the approach she uses, you need to let someone (your GP for example) know. Remember it's YOUR recovery and YOUR therapy. You owe nothing to that therapist. A good professional will understand and refer you on to someone with a different personality and who uses a different approach. Hope you get this sorted out xx

You don't appear to have a good therapeutic relationship with that lady. Therapies can only be successful if the client and the therapist can establish such a relationship, built on a lot of trust. Your experiences are extremely upsetting and difficult to overcome, sharing them with a stranger can be so daunting. If you feel you just cannot work with that therapist or the approach she uses, you need to let someone (your GP for example) know. Remember it's YOUR recovery and YOUR therapy. You owe nothing to that therapist. A good professional will understand and refer you on to someone with a different personality and who uses a different approach. Hope you get this sorted out xx

Thank you for your reply. I am going to give them a call and explain to them what is happening and how I feel. I come out of the session feeling worse than I did when i went in which is totally wrong.
I'm sure she is a lovely lady but her approach and the way she delivers certain comments are just uncalled for.
xxx

Have you heard of NLP TimeLine Therapy? Definitely worth looking at since you are hypnotised and do not remember any of the session, therefore aren't constantly bringing stuff that hurts you up. I had two sessions and stopped biting my nails, stopped smoking and have lost 5 stone in weight.x

I would definitely complain sweet. She sounds completely unprofessional. You don't need that kind of crap. That's not even tough love that's just bang out of order telling you what to answer on your questionnaire.

Have you heard of NLP TimeLine Therapy? Definitely worth looking at since you are hypnotised and do not remember any of the session, therefore aren't constantly bringing stuff that hurts you up. I had two sessions and stopped biting my nails, stopped smoking and have lost 5 stone in weight.x

No i haven't heard of it but i'm really interested! i did look into being hypnotised about a year a go but was a bit wary. I'll have a search on google for them! thank you. and massive well done btw, that's amazing!! xx

I would definitely complain sweet. She sounds completely unprofessional. You don't need that kind of crap. That's not even tough love that's just bang out of order telling you what to answer on your questionnaire.

Going to complain first thing in the morning, it is really unacceptable and i'm glad that others agree with me. I hate doing anything that could put someone's job on the line but at the end of the day, if she isn't doing her job properly then she should be spoken to about it... I have just been wondering whether she's like that with her other patients too. x

Back