Am I Jumping The Gun????

purplefish

Hey, I`ve piled on half a stone since new year and I`ve got 2 stone to lose so I can reach my ideal weight. I`m 5ft 6" and weigh 12 stone.
Since last Fri I have been to the gym 4 times doing an hour of cardio, I`ve walked to work and back (4 miles) and to the gym and back (2 miles) every day.
I`m following a 3 meal a day diet plan from the doctor which is basically healthy foods and low fat, oh and im drinking a litre of water a day.
I weighed myself last Fri and was 12 stone, I weighed this morning and I`m still 12 stone!
What the heck!!? Is this my body getting used to things? I want to see the benefits a bit quicker!!!!

Tanya x

With all the excercise you have been doing the chances are you've gained a bit of muscle, which weighs more than fat, as well as losing fat so you've stayed the same.

Take some measurements with a tape measure and it will show that although you haven't lost weight the chances are you've lost some inches.

This happened to me on my first week of starting to eat healthy and going to the gym 3x a week as well, it wasnt till my second week that the scales said i had dropped a 1lb, the 3rd week i dropped 3lb but this was also due to being ill for 2 days, but im expecting to drop a 1lb a week at the moment which is good enough for me, at least the scales are going in the right direction.

I didnt take any measurements when i started out and still havent but people have already mentioned that i look slimmer and my body is getting more definetion, im actually starting to get a waist lol, so stick with it and give it time, it took a while to put weight on so its gonna take a while to come off :)

Good Luck.xxx

Jonny is right, it sound very much like you could have gained muscle. You may also be in famine mode.

To lose weight, the average overweight person according to Fitness for dummies needs to exercise 45 mins a day for 5-6 days and it's reccomended that amount it built up to. The fact you are eating three meals a day may mean with the sudden drop in calories and very sudden boost in exercise, your body has hit famine mode. Our bodies automatically store fat and burn less in case of a lack of food.

To get out of famine mode, you have to let your body know the crisis is over. To do that, include a couple of pieces of fruit as snacks to your plan. Allow yourself to build up the exercise and make sure you have at least ONE day off a week. This is extremely important as the body can not cope with hard exercise daily, even bodybuilders have to have a day off to prevent injury.

Sorry but you do not gain muscle in a week, it's more likely that if you are new to exercise you are retaining water. 1 litre is not eniugh in my opinion, and you should be drinking even more than normal for exercising. Trying up-ing your fluid intake to 2lt a day and then another large glass for each half hour of exercise you do.

I`m thinking if it would be a better idea to stop the gym for a while but continue with the walking? I seem to lose weight when I`m not going to the gym! Why is this?

Exercise is good for you in so many ways in addition to helping you lose weight and tone up, so don't feel you have to give up in order to lose weight. You just need to make sure you are taking in enough calories and fluids for your body to function properly. If you're not eating enough then your body will fight to hold onto every calorie you put into your mouth. You say thay you are eating a healthy diet but what exactly would you have in a typical day?

Here`s my typical day - Breakfast - Porridge made with oats and skimmed milk with fruit, Lunch - wholemeal roll with tuna and tomatoes follwed by a low fat yoghurt and fruit, Dinner fish/chicken with wholegrain rice/pasta and vegetables.
No snacking in between I roughly drink a litre of water and two cups of tea a day, oh and a fruit juice with my breakfast.

Back