Am i wasting my money?!!?

pizzle84

I will do this!!!
Iv done SW for a week now by myself because i missed rejoining last week. So i weighed myself on tuesday morning and started, im planning on rejoining this tuesday but my scales say iv put weight on! i know all scales are different but its only my scales, i haven't joined class yet so i haven't got the class scales to go by. The reason im doing SW is to lose weight and i cant afford to buy all this meat, fruit and veg if im going to put weight on!!

I think doing it on your own is very hard, SW has a money back garentee if you dont loose weight in 4 weeks you get your money back, you will need to complete honest food diarys for those weeks

there might be something your just not doing right which your consultant would be able to help you with iykwim

Fruit veg and meat basicly makes up any healthy diet anyway so what ever your aproach you will probabaly need those anyway

But if im putting weight on i might as well go back to my rubbish diet and not put it on. I just dont know, moneys very tight at the moment but i need to lose weight.

Jeez give it a chance :D

But seriously, you haven't even done one week yet and you scales could well change between today and tomorrow by several pounds. Go to class if only to make sure you are following the plan properly.

And as for the cost, SW can be as inexpensive as you need it to be and if you are finding it much more expensive (although how you can possibly tell after 6 days) then it is down to your cooking and shopping habits. There are loads of thread on here on doing SW on a budget so it is perfectly possible to spend less.

I have done the same this week and done SW at home from memory of a few years ago. I have had milk in tea but no healthy extras so think thats where I am going wrong. Think I will re-join and get the support I clearly need. Dont give up!! It does work.

And as for the cost, SW can be as inexpensive as you need it to be and if you are finding it much more expensive (although how you can possibly tell after 6 days) then it is down to your cooking and shopping habits. There are loads of thread on here on doing SW on a budget so it is perfectly possible to spend less.[/QUOTE]

I know its more expensive because i planned out my weeks food... breakfast, lunch and dinners and i did a weekly shop on tuesday. So i can tell that weeks shop was more than mine used to be.

Im doing it at home, im a single parent and do it on a budget, it can be done cheaply, :) dont give up x

I spend £50 on food for me and my husband and 2 kids (my third doesnt eat yet lol) a week, that includes there food and my SW food too

£50 a week how?? my weekly shop was £100. I went through the mags and books and chose dinners etc and brought all the ingrediants and it came to £100.

I think the food costs can go up - but they dont need to - if i am trying to cut down on costs i have a few little tweaks that I do to keep the shopping down (frugal....!!!)

Only get fruit and veg on offer - always check the super six in Aldi as well. Bargains ahoy!
Get discounted veg and make it into speed soup - freeze what you dont eat for another day.
Only get reduced meat/fish and then freeze it until you need it.
Have more green days - Value pasta is about 50p a bag and easily does 3 meals (for 2 people!!!) bulk it up with
Choose value brands not premium brands
No diet coke - have Water/Squash instead.
No mullers/expensive yogs - get value brand natural yogs and add the aldi fruits to it!
Frozen veg are a good deal - only use what you need - no waste!

Have you got a food diary? xxx

i haven't really done a food diary this week but its all been chosen from the magazines 7 day menu.

i haven't really done a food diary this week but its all been chosen from the magazines 7 day menu.

I think that is where the high cost issue comes from. I think the cost of making all the meals on there is high - and therefore i try just one or two recipes a week (max!) because otherwise all the bits and bobs add up.

Try to do your own 7 day menu planner, and then budget it out online (do you shop online? I find this helps me keep the costs in check a lot easier than walking round a shop!) that way you can see what you are getting and how much for.

Good luck xxx

I usually try a couple of different recipes a week and then fill out the rest of the week with cheaper meals (with whatever is reduced or aldi super 6).....things like, jacket potatoes with beans, omlettes, pasta with a homemade sauce, soups.

Have you tried shopping at aldi or using non-brand versions of things, that can save alot too. I've recently started making stalk soup (using up brocolli and cauliflower stalks that I previously would have thrown away) and it is the most tasty soup I've had in a long time. I now make a point of not throwing away anything fruit and veg wise, that saves a little bit too.

well i did all my meals lunches and dinners from the mags so maybe that is where the high cost was from. Have you got any ideas for nice cheap dinners?

no iv never shopped at aldi, iv never even been in one.

My shopping list this week included some very cheap cheap dinners!

Gammon steak (2) £1
Potatoes 2.5kg bag £1.50 ish I think
Baked potatoes - 70p for 4
Baked beans - £1 for 4 tins Asda own, not SP
Eggs - 24 for £4 on offer
Chicken breast 3 for £4 smart price
Bacon - smart price £1.50
Quorn sausages - 8 frozen for £1.25 (on offer 2 for £2.50)
Tomatoes - 6 pack
Cherry tomatoes - for snacking
Tinned tomatoes -
Wholemeal loaf - £1
Fruit - I bought smart price - so SP bananas, apples, mandarins
Yoghurts - I bought the big tubs of vanilla Onken for £1 each, but Mullers on special are okay too
Milk for HEA
Extra lean mince
Pork chops

Veggies this week included tinned carrots (SP), fresh carrots, peppers (SP)

1. This straight off gives me gammon steak, potatoes and veggies for 1 night.

2. Oven roasted chicken and veg with potatoes/chips, for 1 night.

3. 1 chicken breast left over - mixed with tomatoes, tomato puree (2 tsp), tin of butterbeans (44p), 1 onion,1 pepper and herb (1 tsp thyme and 1 clove Garlic) - Mediterranean stew, maybe a couple of sliced quorn sausages thrown in. Served with rice or potatoes - serves at least 2 BIG PORTIONS.

4. Baked potatoes, topped with beans and HEA of cheese less than £1 a head.

5. Eggs - I went free range so you could probably go cheaper if you buy smart price. Omlette, with veggies (mushrooms 70p a punnet used about half) or cold meat ( I got 2 packets of ham for £3).

6. Big breakfast, eggs, quorn sausages, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, bacon with fat trimmed off. Serve with wholemeal bread toasted HEA

I know when you first start you feel a bit lost but have a look on here for meals.

Don't forget about spag bol, chilli, burgers made with extra lean mince.

Turkey mince for meatballs and burgers.

Chicken legs are about 3 for £2, and de skin them and stew them, roast and shred them fro fried rice/chow mein.

E.g egg noodles 90p for 4 blocks, say 1 block a person so 25p each. 1 chicken leg each roasted/shredded (80p each) and a bag of SP stir fry veg (50p ish a bag) and you have a huge EE chicken and vegetable stir fry.

I hardly ever make stuff from the magazines. I wouldn't be able to afford it! I get recipes off here and say once or twice a week I'll make something like spag bol and chili. The rest of the week I'll have SW quiche or omelette, jacket spuds or sausages. I find sitting down and planning the weeks meals really helps with the shopping. Don't give up, there's lots of good advice on here xx

Also, try frozen veg, thats what I buy and its always to hand, and you don't end up wasting food!

Back