Puddings Amazing Lemon Cake

StaceyUK

Gold Member
I've adapted some of the cake recipes floating around and came up with this, which I think is gorgeous!

Total syns for whole cake: 14

Ingredients:

6 eggs, separated
9 tbsp Splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract (2 syns - it's made with sunflower oil)
grated zest of a lemon
2oz (56g) self raising flour (9 syns)

Topping:
1 tbsp lemon curd (3 syns for Waitrose one - slightly less for others)

In a bowl, using an electric beater, whisk egg whites until stiff.

In another bowl whisk egg yolks, , Splenda, vanilla, lemon extract & zest. Add flour and whisk again. Add egg whites and whisk until it's all combined.

Line a loose bottomed cake tin with nonstick baking parchment. Pour batter in (don't worry, it will nearly reach the top). Bake at 190 for 15-20 mins until toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. You may need to cover loosely with foil for the last 5 mins to prevent the top from scorching.

Remove from oven and spread the lemon curd over. Leave to cool, then remove and cut into slices, although it's equally gorgeous eaten straight from the oven!

Attachments

• IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_4651.JPG
    IMG_4651.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,222
Wow - that looks lush! Could you use the recipe for syn free lemon curd for the top do you think??? - then it'd be 11 syns for the cake?

Yes you could but I wanted proper lemon curd as I thought it would make it taste nicer and didn't want it to taste too 'diet'!! Having said that, I do plan on making the SW lemon curd and seeing what that's like before I pass judgement!

I also like how the proper lemon curd kind of glazes it and makes it nice and glossy - I'm not sure the fromage frais version would do that.

yummy!!!!

this cake looks deelish...

always on the look out to try and appease this sweet tooth of mine...will definately be giving this ago.. :D

do you think the cake would taste nice without the lemon curd on top?

Yes! I had it without the other day and I still enjoyed but do prefer it with the lemon curd.

I just tried to PM you but it wouldn't give me the option to for some reason! I see you live in Ontario - whereabouts? Hubby and I were thinking of relocating to Toronto. What do you think of Canada?

We live in Windsor Ontario. Moved here in September last year. Currently on a temp visa and have just put our permenant application through.

We are right near the US border too, so can pop over to the US for shopping in a day. Which is brilliant.

I love it here, snow is quite mild in the winter compared to other parts of Canada and in the summer it is easily 30+ degrees. We are right near all the Great Lakes too.

You should definately do it. You won't regret it.

I wonder if I need to have so many posts before I can be pm'ed?? I will see if I can PM you.

Please can you make me one of those cakes and post it to me!! I am seriously rubbish :sigh: at cooking but am going to give this a go....wish me luck, here's hoping I get something edible and not a doorstop!!

Where did you buy the lemon extract from? Am guessing it wouldn't work as well with just lemon juice right? (see, no wonder I'm rubbish I always want to change ingredients!)

I got the lemon extract from Sainsburys or Tesco - it's in the baking section. You could probably use lemon juice but I haven't tried it yet (it would also save 2 syns that's used for the extract). I think extract is a bit more potent and it's also thicker than lemon juice. You can always experiment and see what happens!

I've got a lemon extract that doesn't seem to contain oil...:confused: Have emailed the makers (in the US) to see what the calorie values etc are so I can syn it...hoping it's nil, zilcho...cause they do a chocolate one too!!

anyway, guess what I'm making tonight! Will let you know how it goes, I'm not fab at cooking but I'm a trier...:rolleyes:

I've got a lemon extract that doesn't seem to contain oil...:confused: Have emailed the makers (in the US) to see what the calorie values etc are so I can syn it...hoping it's nil, zilcho...cause they do a chocolate one too!!

anyway, guess what I'm making tonight! Will let you know how it goes, I'm not fab at cooking but I'm a trier...:rolleyes:

If it's the one that has alcohol & lemon extract then I have a feeling it's probably free! I saw that one in Waitrose and was going to buy it but figured I'd wait and use up the bottle I had first.

They have very helpfully emailed me the nutritional sheets but it's impossible to work out as it says:

Chocolate
Number of Servings: 41067.46 (100 g per serving)​
Weight: 4106746.44 g

Lemon (which is the same size bottle)
Number of Servings: 30.96 (100 g per serving)​
Weight: 3095.82 g

Which in itself doesn't make sense, and of course it's a liquid so is in mls and not grams anyway...duh! I'm not sure it's worth phoning the helpline when the base info I have isn't great to start with. The lemon one has only given me the calorie value of 674!

made this yesterday. Made using a loaf tin and sliced into 7 portions @ 2 syns / slice. Added an extra tsp lemon curd to the flat side to make it extra naughty (+ 1/2 syn per slice) was scrumptious and even more delicious the next day - even my O/H said so. Can't see there being any left at the end of day 2 though :)

At 2 1/2 syns per generous slice (incl extra lemon curd) is fab recipe and I would heartily recommend to anyone thinking of making it!

Back