An Update on My Son....

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
I thought I would update you all on my son.

As most of you will remember he was involved in a serious road accident in Australia on the 27th January (his birthday) and he had to have his lower right leg amputated.

Well I am pleased to say that he is doing well - we've had a few 'blips' along the way e.g Kidney failure to name one - but all is well now, and he is just waiting for a date to be sent home.

His Australian visa is up on the 10th May, so we are hoping he can be sent home around that date, but we shall see.

Thankfully he is still staying positive about what has happened to him, and is just taking each day as it comes, it will be a long way until he is walking on two legs again, but he will get there, he has the determination - plus he wants to go travelling again as soon as he can, so more grey hairs for his poor mother, LOL.....

He has gone on a 'day out' today to the local town in the suburb where his re-hab hospital is, he is so good with his mobilised wheelchair that he has been given permission to go out alone, he has to catch a train to get there, but he has mastered that, and what is he going to buy when he gets there!! - a bottle of beer and a McDonalds Big Mac, he has been dreaming of both for ages.

Last edited:
I wasn't a member back in January so obviously don't know anything about it, but just wanted to say I'm really pleased your son is making good progress. :)

That's great news, Donnie.
Your son has such a wonderful positive outlook on life, and must be such an inspiration to those around him. You must feel so proud.

Thank you everyone, and yes Sonia we are so proud of him, it's awful what's happened because he has always been such a fit and active man, but he is determined not to let it ruin the rest of his life. X

Oh Donnie that is so good to hear honey, I bet you just can't wait to have him back home with you. He sounds a very brave and determined young man x x

That is such good news, maybe next time he goes traveling you could go with him :eek: might save the grey hairs ;)

I'm so glad he's doing well and is so positive. :)

My son has just rung me from Russia to tell me that he's survived the emergency landing that he's just been through!!! :eek: Boys!!!! (Well he's 27, but he's still my little boy!) Why do they do it to us??????

I'm so glad he's doing well and is so positive. :)

My son has just rung me from Russia to tell me that he's survived the emergency landing that he's just been through!!! :eek: Boys!!!! (Well he's 27, but he's still my little boy!) Why do they do it to us??????

My 'boy' is 34, but when something like this happens they immediately become your baby again.

My son has 'done' Russia, he was involved in an earthquake in China and he was in Phukett when the tsunami hit the city.

He was also swimming with sharks in the Great Barrier Reef with a gashed hand leaking blood everywhere (he had gashed it on the reef) - lucky they were not man eating sharks.

So we have had a few 'escapades' with him, and he still wants to travel!!!!!

I hope your son is enjoying his travels. X

So pleased to hear that your son is doing so well Donnie.My boys are 9 & 6 and I'm going grey already !! I hope your son enjoyed his beer and McDonalds !!Love and best wishes to you all .xx

Delighted Donnie to hear your son is doing so well and that he will be home soon!:hug99:

So pleased to hear that your son is doing so well Donnie.My boys are 9 & 6 and I'm going grey already !! I hope your son enjoyed his beer and McDonalds !!Love and best wishes to you all .xx

Thank you so much, It sounds as if you have two very active sons!!!

Jamie enjoyed his bottle of beer, but he couldn't face the McDonalds, so he had a small meat ball Subway roll instead......

He enjoyed his day out too even though he was in a wheelchair, he said it was his first step to getting back to a normal life again.

I was delighted for him.

Back