Andy's "to be a thin dad" diary

Dietkitty said:
I watched that at the weekend lol. I feel that VLCDs do mess with your head because it goes against everything we learnt growing up about needing food to grow and be nourished. I've learnt to accept that the packs give me all the nourishment I need and the veg and protein are a bonus (along with the lemon yoghurt bars yum yum) Now when feeling like my stare could kill at 100 yards I just think to myself 'it's the diet, chill!!'

I saw it for the first time at the weekend!

I know exactly what you mean... Sigh..

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I've been quiet a couple of days as I'm still hungry - today I was starving all ay despite having two packs.

I'm going to pretend I'm out of ketosis (I'm not' my wife knows when I am and when I'm not from the smell).

I now have a shake for breakfast and lunch, a meal pack plus chicken and veg for dinner, and oly water to drink. Only thing off plan was a baby bel today and one tomorrow, to try to boost my protein levels.

Then we'll see how the next few days go. It's very frustrating and very difficult. I'm almost 3 weeks in, with about 8 weeks to go and it'll be a hard 8 weeks if this doesn't improve. It is hurting my performance at work as I can't concentrate. Luckily, I normally work so hard that I'm ahead of the game and have some breathing space.

I just can't stop thinking about my hunger, my weightloss (which is slow this week) and its quite doing my head in.

Edit. When I did liter life I was never hungry but on those plans you never have coke, or sweeteners or extras. If in a week nothing has changed I'll switch to 4 packs and forgoe the one thing keeping me sane - chicken and veg!

Hi Andy

It might pass. I have been doing S&S for 6 weeks, and out of the blue last week was really hungry all week. As I was hungry, I kept eating little extra bits of protein and veg, to stop myself from bingeing on anything worse . Yesterday I made myself do a 100% day on S&S and it seems to have worked as I haven't felt hungry at all. I would cut out the chicken and babybel, but keep the veg and sweeteners and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry you're having a tough time Andy.

Are you having enough packs? Should men be on 5 a day or 4 plus protein?

I wonder if you're not getting all the nutrients and that's why you feel hungry?

I've not gone all the way back in your diary so apologies if I'm going over something you've already mentioned!

Hope you find something that makes it easier for you.

Andy it's recommended that men have 4 or 5 packs a day. If you're only having 3 that could explain the hunger. I think you could safely go up to 4 packs plus veg and protein but watch the cheese as its fat. If you need to up the protein have chicken instead of babybel. Well done on switching to water as diet drinks are not strictly allowed either.

I've done the 4 packs plus veg and protein thing, and still had the issue. I don't believe it's necessary to have more (I have 3 supplements a day - a multivitamin, calcium, and zinc.) however, if the problem is still there after another week I'll try to up my packs (but only by dropping the chicken and veg). I don't believe I need more packs than women do - the most successful vlcd I've been on was lighter life where men and women have the same, and while I was having 4 packs half the time (and 2 or 3 half the time), it was the same calories and vitamins as I'm getting now and I was never hungry.

I don't normally have baby bel, but I needed something today and I'll need something at work tomorrow and don't have any extra chicken. Come the weekend, I'll be able to get some more. I went to get some on the way home from work but they all had references to sugar on them.

I appreciate the ideas and I will try some of them, including things I've tried before but I very much need to follow through with the plan I decided on today. It takes me back to the basics, and removes almost all the things I didn't have on lighterlife.

Well done Andy

Sorry to hear your struggling hun. I don't know what to suggest, I have extra protein a lot which had helped through the four months.

Hope things improve Xx

That's another milestone reached Andy chin up and soldier on x x

My god today was a stuggle. The hunger kept coming in waves.

I have had a couple of cans of coke zero to stave off the headache but almost there in quitting it again.

I've had a think about what people have said and I'll try a higher intake. I'm scared though that the extra carbs in the extra pack will be a problem - I do worry that I am very sensitive to carbs.

That said, given that I've only had 1 bar in the last few days, I think I can probably discount that as a cause.

So, new plan:

shake for breakfast
bar for lunch
extra chicken for lunch
meal, veg and chicken for dinner
shake for supper.

I'll see how the next 4 days go.

I came within minutes of crumbling today - someone next to me brought in chips and vinegar for their lunch! Just as I was struggling.

My next target is only 1lb away - it will be the lightest I have been this year. After tha only another 0.2lb (to be under 15 and a half stone). However, I'm going to consider these only to be micro-targets. My next real target is 15st.

well done andy , you held off when many would have caved , youre doing amazingly and im sure youll find the right combo for you . you spoke about the highs and lows on lighter life , i remeber them well , feelings of euphria followed by the lowest moods and woe me how did i let it get to this !!!!! lol when i think back :0)
im never !!! having another child and doing this to myself again hehehe !!!

Well done Andy, another day sorted! Have a think on what others are saying about packs etc as it may be worth a try..
Night!

Doing my best to hang In there but still hungry, despite eating 200g of chicken for lunch. My cals for the day are 872 which is 300 more than I want to eat.

I'm not as hungry but it is still there. I wonder how much of it is psychological. I worry.

I'm going to buy ketosticks. I know we don't normally use them and th can do more harm than good, but I figure they would at least set my mind at rest if I am in ketosis.

I've not lost anything for 2 or 3 days and tomorrow I expect to finish the week with a 2.6lb loss. I know people will say a loss is a loss but it isn't. Not if I'm worrying that I'll end up in starvation mode.

I think I'll slip away quietly. I don't like whining. I know others have things worse than me. But while I feel hunger, and miserable, I just feel worse posting about it.

I've called it a day. I've discussed with the wife (who rightly isn't happy about me having just bought so many packs but is happy I'm not going to do a vlcd anymore) , and it's now got to be healthy eating. I couldn't cope feeling hungry most of the day any longer. I've set a target of losing 7 more pounds this year, given that I'll maybe gain a few shortly.

Thank you everyone for the support. It kept me going a little longer and almost got me through. I hope everyone gets through their journey till the end. I hope I do too, but I'm taking the slow road now.

SerenityValley said:
I've called it a day. I've discussed with the wife (who rightly isn't happy about me having just bought so many packs but is happy I'm not going to do a vlcd anymore) , and it's now got to be healthy eating. I couldn't cope feeling hungry most of the day any longer. I've set a target of losing 7 more pounds this year, given that I'll maybe gain a few shortly.

Thank you everyone for the support. It kept me going a little longer and almost got me through. I hope everyone gets through their journey till the end. I hope I do too, but I'm taking the slow road now.

Whatever you feel Andy, but being a bloke I thought you would need to be eating 4 packs n protein with veg and milk, or 5 packs with veg n milk.
Did you speak to people at s&s? They are very helpful regarding this diet, may be able to help?

You have done really well to get where you are today, you could sell your packs elsewhere or hang onto them and see how you go.
Good luck in whatever you do and we will miss you.
Hungry is not what you are supposed to feel on this diet, so well done for persevering!

What about trying to do the re-feed for a couple of weeks then Andy!!!
That way you'll be keeping any unwanted gains at bay and keeping your calorie consumption to a minimum.
You'll still be eating 'real food' but with the help of maybe 1 or 2 shakes per day.
Whatever you choose I wish you well x x

SerenityValley said:
Bb, I tried 4 packs and food earlier in the diet and still had the hunger.

Email them, s&s and ask what their dietitian recommends? That's what they are there for?
Worth a shot, give them all your stats and let them sort it out?

Just thought I'd pop by and update on how I have done since I left slim and save.

I have lost 3.4lbs in 2 weeks. That includes the initial refeed gain (so it would be about 5.4lbs if taken from my refeed high), which I lost straight away. I've now done 2 full weeks of healthy eating, watching my calories (which are still under 1600 a day as part of my refeed plan). Total loss is now 115 :)

Eta: I've only ever been slightly hungry approaching meal times. I do have my Pepsi max habit back though :(

SerenityValley said:
Just thought I'd pop by and update on how I have done since I left slim and save.

I have lost 3.4lbs in 2 weeks. That includes the initial refeed gain (so it would be about 5.4lbs if taken from my refeed high), which I lost straight away. I've now done 2 full weeks of healthy eating, watching my calories (which are still under 1600 a day as part of my refeed plan). Total loss is now 115 :)

Eta: I've only ever been slightly hungry approaching meal times. I do have my Pepsi max habit back though :(

Well done! Any particular diet or just watching what you are doing?
Missed you and wondered what you were doing now..

Back