Andy's "to be a thin dad" diary

Great attitude! Well done! And naughty wife for tempting you with unhealthy stuff! ;)

LOL She bought them for her! She had a gastric bypass a few years ago and is pretty much bomb proof (though she's eating much healthier now I'm not buying loads of junk).

Gemma, straight back on the wagon hon! Every drawback can be recovered from!

:) thanks Minerva.

Yep, my username is taken from Firefly. Best tv show ever made.

I put my scales away last night, I'm going to try to not weigh again till next Monday. I always weight morning and night and it adds pressure. Feels good when I lose and awful when I don't. Last night I was heavier than the night before, and I decided I need to get off them. Asked the wife if she could hide them for me when I go to work, and that I couldn't have them back till Sunday night.

When I gain or even sts on a day to day level, it upsets me. It shouldn't but it does, so I need to break that silly habit.

I have bought firefly for at least 10 friends as presents, and have seen it so many times. Such a shame it was killed off so soon.

Well, today is day 10, and going well. I've adjusted my schedule slightly. Now I have a shake for breakfast and lunch, then my protein/veg option for dinner, and a shake for supper. Last thing at night I get 40g of cheese as my treat. Prior to this, I was having a shake for breakfast, cheese for lunch, a shake when I got home, my protein/veg for dinner, and a shake for supper. Oh and more cheese lol.

So I've cut 120 or so calories off my day, and evened out my shake intake. It does mean that at some point people will see I'm back on the shakes, which I haven't been telling anyone but so be it.

No weigh in for 2 days - seems to be working as have spent a lot less time thinking about my weight/diet.

Good way to introduce people to the program :)

Congrats on being able to stay away from the scales, I don't think I could do it personally, they keep me motivated when nothing else will.

I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and put my scales away!! I don't weigh every day - but maybe that's why a +2 lb for NO APPARENT REASON (was on plan with a little extra veg only) really messes with my head. Lol. So screw it - I know the plan WORKS, so why keep checking...!

I'm glad you're in the zone :) You seem much more positive, it's lovely to see. :hug99:

x

sounds a plan :)

I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and put my scales away!! I don't weigh every day - but maybe that's why a +2 lb for NO APPARENT REASON (was on plan with a little extra veg only) really messes with my head. Lol. So screw it - I know the plan WORKS, so why keep checking...!

I'm glad you're in the zone :) You seem much more positive, it's lovely to see. :hug99:

x

I actually feel amazing tonight - best I have ever felt on this. WIfe is complaining about the smell though (I smell on S&S, especially my breath). I cannot find a breath spray that doesn't kick me out of ketosis.

I still feel hungry at some poin but I think it;'s psychological associatd with mealtimes.

I've managed to visit the little boys room 3 days in a row - not bad, sometimes on this diet I go weeks.

Weighing daily kills me. If I gain or sts I feel gutted and it derails me. It is a bad bad habit. I'll try to weigh fortnightly after Monday but no promises!

Give it a go Andy! Take the batteries out of the scales, put batteries in one end of the house, scales in yet - another! Go on! We can do this together!! It's breaking a habit - which is actually doing more harm than good. :)

Breath - I wouldn't worry too much about ketosis.. if you're just going by those stix, they're unreliable. The stix only measure excess ketones in urine which can be over diluted or too concentrated by the amount you drink. The ketones present in your pee is IRRELEVANT - it's the ketones in your BLOOD that matter. And since it's impractical to measure that on a daily basis - don't worry. The diet works - even if just on calorie restriction alone. :)
I remember I used to use a spray called RetarDEX on Lighter Life and it was absolutely fine. :)

You can also apparently have a maximum of two sugar-free chewing gums per day on SnS, but be careful, the chewing could make some people feel hungry (though it hardly ever has that effect on me).

As per constipation... that comes later in the diet ... -_- probably by far the WORST thing about a VLCD!!!

... and on the note, I depart. ... *slowly sidesteps out the room looking shifty*

A little note about constipation (*coughs)
Two words that have been a life saver for me so far. Psyllium Husks!
I add this stuff to my porridge daily and I 'go' with zero problems nearly every day which is very unusual for me even when eating 'normal' food.
Additional benefit. It keeps you nice and full :)

Good to hear you're feeling great though any! :D

Breath - I wouldn't worry too much about ketosis.. if you're just going by those stix, they're unreliable. The stix only measure excess ketones in urine which can be over diluted or too concentrated by the amount you drink. The ketones present in your pee is IRRELEVANT - it's the ketones in your BLOOD that matter. And since it's impractical to measure that on a daily basis - don't worry. The diet works - even if just on calorie restriction alone. :)
I remember I used to use a spray called RetarDEX on Lighter Life and it was absolutely fine. :)

Never used ketostix - just when I used breath spray I would be ravenously hungry within next couple of hours.. My wife thinks all my ketones are in my breath :(

Anyway, I broke big time today... weighed myself. I've lost - average amount, not happy or unhappy. WIll put the scales away again after Monday's official weigh in. Think the best I can do is go a few days,

Hungry on and off all day but feel fantastic this evening. We're having a clearout at home and I was more active than usual so may have been that.

Near the end of Day 14, and still feeling wonderful. Today I had to make myself have pack 3, which is a good sign - on lighter life this happened and was the start of me just getting into the rhythm of it all.

i have been evaluating where I want to get to weight wise and the good news is that I don't know. I find it best to not have too fixed an idea, as it adds pressure. Nominally I have said 14st, but we'll see.

Last time I did LL properly I lasted 4 weeks but was quite unhappy throughout. I got down to 14st 10lbs and was quite happy. I managed S&S for 3 weeks once, then 1 week then next time. It all feels a little different now - bit more like the first time (without the excitement). I don't know how I managed 7 months on that, other than the excitement drove me down and down.

Well done on the loss..

Near the end of day 17 and still feeling good. Now into the sweet spot where it's easy. It gets hard again between weeks 3 and 4 and then for me I have to get over the week 4 hump.

Was bad yesterday and had no packs at all. I forgot to have breakfast, forgot to take one to work for lunch, then ate my protein/veg for dinner and didn't feel like a pack.

Have had 2 packs today (plus my protein/veg and cheese) and will aim for 3 tomorrow.

Been thinking a lot about my mindset. It's very like when I first did LL. I think not bout when I'll finish so I can eat again but when I will be slim(ish). This should hopefully make a big difference. When you do this diet and concern ourself about when you can eat again, you add a lot of pressure. When you concern yourself with when you'll hit goal, it brings you ever closer.

Wow... you hit something home for me just now... the fact that I'm not finding the diet a struggle this time because I'm not thinking about 'when I can eat again'. Hasn't actually bothered me at all, I'm just looking forward to being slim again! Thank you! Stupidly enough, I didn't make that realisation! :D

I'm glad you're doing well - but do try to eat your packs! Or at least take a multivitamin. :) Not having the sufficient nutrients isn't good for you! Sounds like you're prepared for the 4th week slump :) Does your wife know? Maybe she can lend extra support through that particular period?

x

Back