Angi's atkins diary

angi

Day2
Started on atkins yesterday. i used a low carb approach a couple of years ago and lost two stone in four months, which i kept off for the best part of a year before falling pregnant. i was advised not to follow a low carb diet during pregnancy (i'm diabetic) and ended up having a lot of carbs and becoming very insulin resistant in my pregnancy and putting on a lot of weight. So far i have lost 1.5 stone using a combination of low cal/shake diets but i've had enough of the hunger and also found myself going on carb binges now and then which i need to get out of. So it's back to Atkins!
yesterday went ok, ate mainly meat and salad and also cheese (mmmm) which i missed during my low cal diet. Today I started with a low carb shake and almond milk. Had some parma ham for a snack mid morning then gammon, cheese and rocket salad for lunch. Another low carb shake this afternoon, now I am getting a bit peckish but it's not far off tea time. Gonna try and recreate a meal my oh had at the weekend, goats cheese wrapped in smoked salmon, toasted and served with salad. Not been too bad today, not too many cravings. Luckily i like meat, cheese and seafood.

Well done Angi... Good menu! Hope it's as successful as it was before! :)

Hi Angi and welcome, the menus sound good - maybe a few more greens if you can sneak them in?

The pounds will fall off bigtime love - and there are other diabetics here who will help with advice :)

Hi Angi, good to see your diary:)

I always found the lo carb shakes a bit of a con - filled you up for an hour or two but then starving again. I preferred to have pork scratching, mini pepperamis or some cheese - met the chewy/crunchy needs as well as keeping me satisfied for longer;)

Keep going!

Well the goats cheese wrapped in smoked salmon and grilled was lovely, couldn't belive i could be on a diet and eating it! Got peckish in the evening but wasn't real hunger was just missing nibbling (i've always been an evening nibbler) so I had an atkins bounty bar thing (the coconut one) which was lush. I know they're not really allowed in phase one but i'm doing my first week as phase two to ease myself in before going for it big time next week - as I am away this weekend and booze will be involved, thought that was best.
Day three gone ok, i've had bacon and cheese for breakfast, ham and cheese for lunch (lunch on the run, so took a mozzarella ball and some ham in the car with me), then picked up some gravadlax half price in waitrose so had gravadlax with salad and seeds for dinner. Got the evening munchies again so had 1 oz salted pecan nuts with some seeds, unusually for me i had had enough before i finished them so left some. Maybe that's because before it was always the carbs which kept me nibbling. I don't know, i wasn't compelled to finish them and get some more as I would ordinarily be. So these first three days have gone ok but I don't feel much thinner. I think I can work a lot harder than this. I am going to try and have three meals and low carb shakes inbetween meals to keep hunger at bay if I need to, so no snacking or anything else between meals. Couldn't find the atkins shake mix in the big boots near me so got promax shakes instead as only 2g carbs per serving, if i mix with soya light this will make a low carb shake. Or almond milk which i tried yesterday and was pleasantly suprised by. I know Atkins is a long haul diet and I may not see a lot of weight loss quickly but I am committing to do this until the end of the year and know if i stick with it and am serious, I'll be slim by the end of the year. Wish i could make it go faster than that but I've tried the likes of lipotrim and cambridge and they're not for me, each day was torture. I'd rather take it off in a slow, sustained way and know it's not going to come back on dead quick. Anyway three days down here's to day four.

Hi Angi

You really need to try and get more greens in there, at least 15g carbs a day, and in at least two meals. It will help, I promise.

hi ladyfelsham thanks for that, i am having salad with most of my main meals (lunch yesterday was on the run so a bit tricky to take in the car) or tonight i am gonna have some brocolli with garlic butter.
Day 4 today and it's time to get a little more serious and stop with the nibbling! Going to have three meals and low carb shakes in between (prob one at mid afternoon one at evening ) if i feel hungry. Don't know if i am in ketosis yet but my appetite has certainly diminished. Looking forward to my breakfast of scrambled eggs with roule cheese and smoked salmon. Are we allowed roule type cheeses in induction? Was only gonna add a little bit to make the scrambled eggs taste a bit different. I need to think about exercise too as i am seriously lax when it comes to exercise! i find it very easy to do none at all especially with a little baby around (or is that just an excuse?) although there's nothing stopping me getting out with the pram for a brisk walk this morning!

Not sure re the cheese - I have a feeling you're not allowed then on Induction, so try some hard cheese - although I've been a bit of cream cheese here and there, so could be wrong?

it says only 3g carbs / 100g and i had a tablespoon apx 15-20g so there wouldn't be more than 1g carbs in it if that. just made it with the scrambled eggs and it was delish, much better than eggs on their own. Threw in a bit of smoked salmon at the end..mmmmmmmmmmmm

You're doing well Angi! And there's lots of exercise in your life with the baby! Yes, perhaps a walk with the pram would be great for the 2 of you :)

Day 5 today! Yesterday went ok, I was hungry for my dinner and had steak, brocolli and some cream cheese stirred into the brocolli. Then a few nuts and seeds to nibble on after dinner but only a few. i'm going away for the weekend tomorrow and it'll be tough but i'll take the attitude that i'll do my best and not stress totally about keeping my carbs under 20, was planning to start induction proper on monday anyway. i've warned my friend who i'm staying with that i'm doing atkins and to keep the carbs away! Drink will be involved this weekend but I'm going to try and stick to vodka and diet tonic/coke although the odd cocktail may creep in. I don't drink very often so this is a special occasion. I'm gonna take plenty of snacks for the journey to glasgow - thinking ham, cheese, nuts and atkins cereal/bars. I'm finding one of the biggest problems with Atkins at the moment is the expense - being off on maternity leave means i'm not earning much, but I have to get this weight off so i'll just have to deal with the expense. Forward planning is important too, as it can be so hard to find something suitable to eat unless you plan for it.
Not sure if i am in ketosis yet, but i'm feeling much less hungry. i don't feel much thinner yet but then again i am easing in to it gently and this first week is a pre induction week really so i may not see a loss until i am in induction proper. i'm not going to weigh myself, just go on my clothes. Planning to have the following meals today
Breakfast: Bacon, cheese, tomato and mushroom grill
Snack/early lunch: low carb shake
Late lunch/afternoon snack: Cooked Chicken from the supermarket ( will be out and about so can't really think of anything less fiddly!)
Dinner: Peppered steak with brocolli and a bit of cheese, a few nuts and seeds later on if feeling nibbly or if i really fancy it, an atkins coconut bar

Morning Angi, sounds like your doing really well. I do think your pre induction week will ease you in nicely and clearly you are planning ahead.

If at all possible do try to avoid the fruity cocktails - the sugar spike might be a shock and set off serious cravings! That will make it harder on induction next week! If you look carefully thro the cocktail menu some are better with dashes of lime vs gallons of juice. I think even a long island ice tea with diet coke is better than some alternatives. whatever you choose - have a fabulous time:D
Xx

Thanks for everyone's support, just wanted to say i have found this board really friendly and much friendlier than some of the other diet boards on this forum! So Atkins rules! Definitely feeling like atkins is the way forward for me, i've had a long and bumpy ride to get to this point, after going on a low carb diet a couple of years ago i was finally happy with my weight and maintaining it, til i fell pregnant and was told not to low carb. i took this to the other extreme and started eating a lot of carbs particularly as in the beginning i had morning sickness and went off most foods except very bland things like toast and rice. Then i just pigged out, to be honest, not blaming anyone but myself. But because i am diabetic i ended up overinjecting my insulin practically every day as i was so paranoid about clearing the sugar out of my blood before it could affect the baby. The baby was fine but i ended putting on three stone and being the biggest i've ever been (and I don't carry weight well). Six months later and 1.5 stone off through a combination of calorie counting and shake diets, and i'm ready now to return to low carbing, as a lifestyle choice not just a diet. Carbs and i don't mix well! Luckily i enjoy the foods you're allowed on Atkins and although the weight loss can be slower it's worth it to not be hungry all the time or obsessed with calories. I'm so glad I found this site!

You sound well prepped and focused! I hope it goes well! :)

Evening Angi, hope you are having a good weekend :)
Xx

Hi all, well this is day 8 but day 1 of strict induction, the weekend away went fairly ok, managed to keep to low carb on the saturday, had mainly vodka and diet tonic on sat night but also one or two cocktails. luckily i drank so much that I fell asleep when we got in and therefore was not able to eat any late night munchies, the next day i had a wopping hangover and with little low carb food in my friend's house succumbed to toast and soup. But had low carb food on the way home and did ok.
Just got back from tescos where we did a big shop today, filled my fridge and freezer with meat cheese and eggs and some greens. Was hungry in the supermarket so ate a big cumberland sausage - for all the inconveniences of doing atkins this is one of the many blessings, and it tasted just as good as i remembered!
Also discovered my local big tesco does the atkins peanut and caramel bars (atkins snickers) as well as the coconut bars (atkins bounty!) so stocked up on those, although I will limit myself to just occasionally during induction as I know they're not good to have every day.
So day 8 (or day 1 depending on how you look at it) gone ok.
Right off to catch some sun in the garden before it goes in again, taking my atkins frappucino (atkins cafe royale shake with lots of ice) with me. This could almost not be a diet!! no idea whether or not i've lost weight yet as i'm not weighing myself but I can get into a size 14 red herring skirt which doesn't have an elasticated waistband - it's the first item of clothing to not have an elasticated waistband that i've worn since falling pregnant (well since i began to show) about a year ago, so it's a big deal!!!

Well done on the skirt Angi! Hope it all works for you! :)

Morning, i just wanted to say hello and well done. I love reading other peoples stories as it really keeps me going x

Back