Announcement- slow cooked whole chicken born today at 1.30pm!!

jacket potatoe on slow setting between 5-7hrs - making sure they are in kitchen foil and pricked.
The skins are soft and not crispy like in the oven but I don't mind that if your busy and not the time to cook then its a great way to have them :)

ham and chicken are both lovely -I put mine on before I go to work and the house smells delicious when I get back home.

I'm doing criminal psychology, final year! Got 3 weeks left! and 1 exam! Scary stuff! hehe, do you go to a class then? x

After reading all the lovely posts about chicken and ham. I am going to invest in a slowcook.

What size of slowcook does everyone have. Do I need a 3.5l or 6.5L.
we are a family of four.

I would appreciate your help as dont want to get the wrong size.

xx

I go in rhdyfelin, haven't got enough determination to do it from home! I live in tref also! I bet you live round the corner or something from me! haha x

After reading all the lovely posts about chicken and ham. I am going to invest in a slowcook.

we are a family of four.

xx

Hiya,

I have a 2.5l and it easily makes 4 big bowls of stew, chilli etc and would cook a small chicken! So i would say go for the 3.5l, but then if you want to do big batches that you can freeze etc may be better to go for the 6.5.

Why don't you get a litre jug fill it up 6 times or 3 times with water and see how many bowls it will fill :) xx

there is a good sticky on it and lots of free recipes on the web you can adapt-its really easy. Just ask if youaren't sure of one.

we are a family of four.

xx

There's only myself and my dh, but I got a Breville 5.5l oval one- about £25 in Argos! We're happy to live off casseroles and curries for 3 days though, and I take some to work in a container with rice, couscous or a jacket! And there's always the freezer so you have ready made meals in a jiffy! And if you want to do chickens and joints of meat a larger oval one is best!X

I havent got a slow cooker but have been tempted for a long while now!!

This might be a really stupid question but how do you know how long to cook things for in there?!?! lol

xx

Hi Pesty, you've changed your avatar!! Nice pic hun!! The high setting is usually suitable for 4-5 hours and the low setting about 7-8 hours! All makes and models differ though so be sure to check out the instructions! I did my chicken on high yesterday and it was lovely and moist and fell off the bone! I'm going to try it on low and see if it's any different! Different food takes different time so it's best to go by recipes/instruction leaflet until you get a bit more familiar with how long various things take!X

Hi Pesty, you've changed your avatar!! Nice pic hun!! The high setting is usually suitable for 4-5 hours and the low setting about 7-8 hours! All makes and models differ though so be sure to check out the instructions! I did my chicken on high yesterday and it was lovely and moist and fell off the bone! I'm going to try it on low and see if it's any different! Different food takes different time so it's best to go by recipes/instruction leaflet until you get a bit more familiar with how long various things take!X

Thanks hun :) that's me last June in Amsterdam, a stone lighter than i am now but still not at target! Thort it might give me a bit of inspiration!

Thanks for the advice :) i really do have to get one! I just bought a chicken, but it will have to be cooked in the normal oven lol xx

We only have a small 2 bedroom flat so a slow cooke is great for roasting meat as you don't get 'greasy' smells through the place like you can roasting in the oven xx

Back