Step 1 Sole Source + Another Day...Another Recipe (SS+ Recipe Ideas)

Cottage Cheese Roulade

I just spent ages typing out my recipe for Cottage Cheese Roulade (or Cottage Cheese Stuffed Courgette if you look at it another way) and then my session timed out and my post was gone :-( I will try and remember what it was that I wrote.

Courgette isn't something I am a huge fan of but there are a couple of recipes I have found that it isn't that bad, this one is the first. I picked up this recipe when I was making caneepes for a catering company but it was usually filled with yummy goodness like whipped goats cheese.

The best way to get nice even and thin slices is to use a potato peeler and you want to try and get wide ones if you can, this is only important if you plan on making mini ones but given the quantity of protein we are allowed the ratio means it's better to make one large roulade at this step at least. I chargrilled my courgette but a frying pan would be equally suitable. I'm no expert on how to cook courgette but I don't really like it when it's overcooked and mushy so I just made sure they were suitably soft.

DSC_0688.jpgDSC_0689.jpg

I don't particularly like the texture of cottage cheese so I gave mine a quick wizz in the food processor with some black pepper and a sprinkle of chili powder...

DSC_0691.jpg

Firstly is the mini roulade just to show as a sample which I made by laying out one of the wider strips of courgette and scooping some cottage cheese on one end and rolling it up :)

DSC_0692.jpgDSC_0693.jpg

As you can see above there just isn't enough cottage cheese to be a suitable size for the amount we can use on SS+ so I adapted it a little. I lay each strip out vertically next to each other, overlapping a little to prevent seepage when we roll and adding the cottage cheese much like the example above. Next you have to be careful when rolling not to squash out the cottage cheese, you have to be quite gentle. and there you have it....the end result....

DSC_0695.jpg

Yummy Chicken Curry (SS+)

Ingredients
240gm of chicken
80g of spinach
Half a ltr of boiling water
1 tsp curry powder
1tsp crushed chilli pepper
Mint (fresh)

Instructions
Take your 80g of spinach and place in a pan
Add half a litre of boiling water from kettle
Cook so the spinach softens or wilts then mashed it up with a wooden spatula.
Add the 240gm raw chicken with some mint, crushed chilli pepper & curry powder Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
Then remove lid & cook further 5 minutes on higher heat
Allow it to thicken by steaming the water off
Serve immediately

Shameless post so I don't lose the Thread again. Thanks for the link fay :)

I haven't updated this in a while but I have still been taking the photos etc. so I will try and get around to adding them when I have the laptop fired up.

To Add:
Courgette Noodles
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Stir Fry

This week I am going to attempt:
Celeriac Mash
Caulli Rice
Maybe Caulli Mash as well....

Celeriac Mash

So it's well over due for a posting on here with some of the recipes I have been trying out. We are starting with Celeriac mash.

The closest our allowance permits to a root vegetable is celeriac and it's not something that get's used very often or even recognized. I remember a number of years ago someone made a slaw with celeriac and the taste wasn't all that offensive and more recently my in-laws made me roast celeriac (along with other vegetables like parsnip and carrot etc.). For those of you who haven't had it before it is usually compared to celery as it is part of the same family.

So this is a quick and easy one....and some might say hardly worth it for the quantity you get but luckily for me both my wife and I are on the diet so it's just about worth it. Weigh out your veggie allowance in celeriac and cube. Boil in a pan until soft, drain mash....voila!

DSC_0713.jpg DSC_0715.jpg

Unfortunately we can't add things like cream or butter or even a half decent quantity but oh well. I served mine with some oven cooked turkey breast and a little of my 3rd soup serving of mushroom soup as a sauce

DSC_0716.jpg

Courgette Noodles

I really miss carbs!!! I am looking forward to when I can have something like Zero noodles. I have subscribed to a Facebook group for Cambridge Diet recipe shares and there are some good ideas that I picked up. One of which is courgette noodles...

DSC_0697.jpg DSC_0698.jpg

Start by shredding your allowance of courgette using a potato peeler, unless you are able to slice it that finely using a knife. If you want it to look more noodly then discard the skin and just stick with the white fleshy bit. I cooked off some strips of turkey breast and added the courgette near the end as it only takes a minute. The seasoning is your call really. I opted for curry spices (e.g. cumin, turmeric, curry powder) as I am not sure on how to make chinesey style without soy sauce or pre-mixed spices from a jar.

DSC_0700.jpg

Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice

I was quite surprised at the next recipe I found: cauliflower rice! This is coming from a person who really doesn't like cauliflower at all and this was actually pretty good!!!!

You start off by grating you cauliflower allowance. I have a Tefal Fresh Express but a food processor will work well also. I can't imagine how successful grating by hand would be but I recommend to try cauliflower rice at least once!

DSC_0709.jpg

The texture is quite fluffy even is the size is somewhat inconsistent. Two eggs seemed like a bit much on my first attempt so I opted for half turkey breast and half egg, but I think that next time I would be happy with just egg. So I chucked my turkey breast strips into a pan and when sealed added my cauliflower rice. I may have gone overboard on the turmeric so it ended up on the florescent side. I had some fresh parsley to use up as well so a little of that went on in there.

DSC_0710.jpg

Lastly in goes the egg (that was first beaten in a cup). So it's basically a one pan meal and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring regularly.

DSC_0712.jpg

I think next time I might try and make a curry or something to have with this! It isn't rice but is sure as hell is close enough.

Courgette Spaghetti and Meatballs

So a few posts up I made courgette noodles and in another previous post I made home made mince.....soooooo......I guess the next logical jump was to give spaghetti and meatballs a try.

Mince:
http://www.minimins.com/cd-recipe-i...other-recipe-ss-recipe-ideas.html#post6719775

I started with the meatballs....taking our meat allowance I added a few mixed herbs and some pepper and put a scoop (roughly molded into meatball shapes but it can be quite pastey) into silicone cupcake molds and put into the oven for about 20 minutes.

DSC_0667.jpg DSC_0670.jpg

Noodles:
http://www.minimins.com/cd-recipe-i...her-recipe-ss-recipe-ideas-2.html#post6805944

Lastly was the pretty rubbish attempt at a tomato sauce with was a some of my 3rd product allowance as the spicy tomato soup but made with much less water to keep it think and all combined makes spaghetti and meatballs!!!

DSC_0708.jpg

Fish and Celeriac Chips

Ok so this next one I am quite proud of. While googling around looking for creative things to do with celeriac I found a recipe for celeriac fries: Celeriac oven chips | BBC Good Food

This of course made me instantly think of fish and chips!!! A British food classic!!! As the amount of celeriac we are allowed is very limited I opted for very skinny fries rather than chips to try and make it go further.

Photo 23-10-2013 18 03 16 (HDR).jpg Photo 23-10-2013 18 30 49.jpg

These only take about 20 minutes in the oven in their skinny form so plan to add your fish accordingly. I opted for cod steaks, wrapped in foil parcels and in the bottom of the oven so it would take about the same time as the "chips". I had some fresh parsley laying around so I added that to my fish.

Photo 23-10-2013 18 21 17 (HDR).jpg

And there we have a SS+ approved "Fish and Chips"....and to be honest I am pretty proud of this one :p

Photo 23-10-2013 18 36 52.jpg
(excuse the presentation of the fish, it was broken up when my wife plated up....she isn't the most graceful or careful :) .... and if you are reading this my wife then I love you and you have many other qualities)

Ohh I'm defiantly having a go at the celeriac chips I have some smoked haddock sitting in the freezer feeling neglected! Never had celeriac but celery I love so I'm sure I will enjoy! Thanks for the tasty looking posts! :D

Ohh I'm defiantly having a go at the celeriac chips I have some smoked haddock sitting in the freezer feeling neglected! Never had celeriac but celery I love so I'm sure I will enjoy! Thanks for the tasty looking posts! :D

The texture is not what you would expect. It's more roasted parsnip texture rather than crunchy and fluffy like the potato equivalent!

Oh and wedges would also work, I am going to try that at some point!

Hmmmm....next time I do a big supermarket shop (maybe not for a few weeks) I am so getting some tofu to give this a try (minus the frying...we will see how baking comes out): Tofu Crisps (low carb) Recipe by | SparkRecipes

Tofu Crisps!!
I also think that Celeriac Crisps are worth a try but given how little veggies we are allowed maybe I will just do that as a one off....

Back