Anxiety Attacks

I am not sure if this has been brought up here, sorry if it has, but thought it might be a good place to share ideas on how you cope with them.
I have been suffering from anxiety attacks for around 8 years, but have always managed to calm myself down and get my heart rate back to normal. This morning however was completely different. All I was doing was making some cereal and then a huge wave of panic came over me, it felt like my heart skipped a beat, and then my heart rate was out of control and I could not breathe - which of course made me panic even more. This has happened plenty of times before (on average every 2 months or so), but as I said before, I have always managed to calm myself down. This time I could not and it felt like it was just getting worse, so I called 999 because i thought it could be something other than an anxiety attack. I got into the ambulance and they monitored my heart rate and calmed me down under my heart rate was back to "normal". They told me that if it happens again, to just breathe normally and not panic :confused:. This is definitely easier said than done.

So, what i am wondering is, any of you suffer from Anxiety? How do you cope with in general everyday life, and when you are actually having an attack?

I try to do some meditation and breathing exercises everyday.

Hi Hunny, Glad you are OK now, it's so difficult not to panic when you are having an episode. I had them frequently for years, to the point that I couldn't leave the house. At which point I made the decision that I was going to get back in control and not for it to control me. I went for Hypno which I have to say has helped but it doesn't mean I don't get them. I had about 5 sessions in all, don't know what happened in the sessions but slowly but surely noticed a difference over time. I also talked to my GP. I can recognise the signs of one coming on and when I do the first thing I do is concentrate on my breathing. Taking a deep breath in and out and continuing with this for several breaths is normally enough for it to pass. I noticed that I panic more when I don't breath properly, which is the first thing I noticed happens when a PA is coming on. You'll notice you are taking much less breath in but quicker hence making the feeling on panic more intense. I would suggest chatting to your GP in the first instance but becoming more aware of the signs and how you can cope is the most helpful thing. I can normally stop myself having them now. HTH Vxx

Hi Hun,

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks frequently for the last few years although I have had underlying symptoms for much longer. About two years ago I woke up in the middle of the night, in the middle of a panic attack. I have never felt so frightened as I did that night. The next day I went to the doctors and she confirmed that I have been suffering with anxiety for years (looking back at my medical history) and my body had just had enough and wanted something done about it. I was put on meds for 9 months however 3 months after coming off the meds I noticed that anxiety was back. I have decided not to go back on meds as towards the end I felt quite ill on them. I still get the increased heart rate during the night but I feel that this is my associated fear of it happening again than anything else. I have learnt a deep breathing technique used in yoga which has helped to calm me down in those circumstances. I do find though that a simple problem is escalated becuase of my anxiety, it is this side of the anxiety that I need to address. I try not to let the increased heart rate when watching TV sometimes concern me but it does and sometimes I cant see the end of not having anxiety. its truly awful. I got a CBT therapy book for dummes which is good although when you are in the middle of a panic attack the last thing you want to do is read.

I have felt very alone with this and gotten deeply upset. It is a welcome relief that there others out there who suffer like me. Even my mum (who suffered with PA for years) was very non understanding when I told her.

I cant offer any advice other than the breathing technique and exercising when you feel the adrenline rush to use it up, but I am happy to talk about the problems you are having as a sympathetic ear if you need one.

Take Care and sorry for the long winded post. Nicky xx

Thanks for the replies.
Vicx - did you find the hypnotherapy helped? I have thought about trying it, as I don't like to take medication if there is an alternative route, and this seems like a good one. Is it expensive? Something you can get on NHS?

Thank you both for the advice. I normally do breathing techniques when I feel a panic attack coming on, but this one hit almost instantly that I was already hyperventilating as soon as I knew what was happening, it's hard to do breathing techniques at that point.
Not a great thing to happen during my first week on WW, but I have still stuck to it :)

Last edited:
it was £50 a session so not exactly cheap but I certainly found it worthwhile. I wouldn't say it was a cure but it certainly helped so I don't feel like I wasted my money. Vx

I am not sure if this has been brought up here, sorry if it has, but thought it might be a good place to share ideas on how you cope with them.
I have been suffering from anxiety attacks for around 8 years, but have always managed to calm myself down and get my heart rate back to normal. This morning however was completely different. All I was doing was making some cereal and then a huge wave of panic came over me, it felt like my heart skipped a beat, and then my heart rate was out of control and I could not breathe - which of course made me panic even more. This has happened plenty of times before (on average every 2 months or so), but as I said before, I have always managed to calm myself down. This time I could not and it felt like it was just getting worse, so I called 999 because i thought it could be something other than an anxiety attack. I got into the ambulance and they monitored my heart rate and calmed me down under my heart rate was back to "normal". They told me that if it happens again, to just breathe normally and not panic :confused:. This is definitely easier said than done.

So, what i am wondering is, any of you suffer from Anxiety? How do you cope with in general everyday life, and when you are actually having an attack?

I try to do some meditation and breathing exercises everyday.

Hi :)

We have this thread on Panic attacks as well that you might find interesting to look at.
http://www.minimins.com/lifestyles/808-panic-attacks.html

Thank you for posting about a subject that is very difficult for some people to share but so common nowadays.

Best wishes,

Lacey xx :)

Back