Extra Easy Any advice for going on holiday

alimatron

Hi

I have so far lost 2 stone 5lbs - I am going to Aus to stay with Inlaws for 3 weeks over Christmas and new year and am getting worried about how I will keep on track. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi alimatron!
I was in your shoes in October - I went over to Oz (NSW) for three weeks for a family wedding. There are a few things on your side there, there are chicken places everywhere with loads & loads of different kinds of salads, delicious! I thought the Australians only BBQ thing was a cliche but no, everyone BBQs, they cook breakfast on their BBQ & you'll be there in the height of summer too. In the various parks you can use the public BBQs. BBQs are your SW friend, lots of grilled meat & loads of gorgeous salads, just try to limit your breads.

Australia is generally very expensive because of the strong AUS $; you'll be shocked at how expensive even the most basic things are; clothes are outrageously expensive. I thought I would gain a lot through alcohol but I couldn't afford it! I went to buy a bottle of gin & it was $60 for 70cl :eek: There are loads of great vineyards just about everywhere on the coast, you can get lovely wines for really not very many $$. You could get some soda & stretch it out for your syns but I didn't, I just enjoyed being able to try delicious wines I'd never be able to try again.

Over the 3 weeks I actually managed to lose 2 1/2lbs. I vaguely stuck to the principles of the plan but I figured it was a once in a lifetime holiday & still wanted to enjoy myself. I put that loss down to the amount of Body Magic going on, we walked, walked, walked and then walked some more. When we weren't walking we swam in the sapphire blue ocean. I'm so jealous; I wish I were going again!

I'll try to think of other tips for you but you shouldn't worry, I hope this post reassures you!

Hi Potato

Thank you so much for your great reply. Feeling much better now. I am really looking forward to this holiday and we fly a week and Friday. Am 'in the zone' with my weight at the moment so don't want to have a massive 'falling off the wagon'.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. We are going to stay with my husband brother and his wife who is chinese so cooks lots! This is the first time I have ever been.

How did you cope with the flight, any tips for on the plane etc, what to wear??

Thanks

Ali

Hi Ali,

The flight is pretty tough going, I go to the states a lot with my work and there are a few rules that I impose on myself for flights:

1- Never watch more than 1 movie per flight, or at least leave a few hours in between to stop the zombification!
2- Don't be afraid to get up, walk around and look silly doing exercises; you need to keep moving or else your legs will puff up ^ you'll feel rotten
3- bring facial wipes, moisturizer, hand cream & chap stick. Flying long haul will dry you out like beef jerky. Take off your makeup on the plane, moisturize your face, hands, arms, everything. Give your face a quick clean with a wipe now & then, you'll be amazed how much fresher you feel (and how much gunk comes off your face).
4- brush your teeth - if you only do one thing on the flight; do this. You're going to be so jet lagged and out of synch with your Oz timezone, it is only natural to slip out of your teeth cleaning routine. An hour before you're due to land, go in to the loo, brush your teeth & you'll feel like a new woman.
5 - You look very slim in your avatar so this may not be a concern for you, but check out seatguru.com to pick a nice seat, some seats have immovable arms that reduce the seat width. I'm a lot heavier than you so this was more of an issue for me, luckily my husband didn't mind my bottom encroaching on his space :) If anyone reading this is concerned about getting the seatbelt on; you can ask the air host for an extender when you board; or you can buy them on amazon to avoid feeling embarrassed.
6 - bring warm clothes for the plane - airlines do provide blankets but be aware that is really can get quite cold.

If you have a stopover for more than 4hours you can call the airline to get a free meal, we had a long stop over in Dubai (8+ hours) and the airline (Emirates) actually gave us meals and a hotel stay. We stopped in Dubai and in Bangkok.

If you're flying into Australia you have to go through an extra security check just before you board the plane, no more than 50 cigarettes are allowed in the country per person and no liquids in volumes greater than 100ml - i.e. - you cannot take advantage of the duty free in the countries you stopover. After you get off the plane in Oz there is a duty free before you go through customs & immigration, the prices are similar to an off license here in the UK but much cheaper than the "bottle shops" in Oz. I don't smoke, but if you do, be prepared to pay $20 for a small pack.

If you are worried about the flight, it's not as bad as you imagine. It is very long, but at worst you will be a little bored, it'll be just fantastic & you'll not want to come home :)

Hi Potato

Thanks for another great reply. Am starting to get organised now. Not as skinny as in my avatar was about 2 stone lighter there but well on my way with two and a half stone off now. Am also only 5 foot so don't have a problem with squashed knees.

Will make sure I have the wet wipes, moisturiser and lip balm handy. Also have ear plugs and face mask and lots of layers.

Good advice about one film only. I have saved my lonely planet destination guides to read on the plane with some new books on my kindle.

Your lovely replies have made me much less apprehensive.

Thank you and have a lovely Christmas xx

Hi

Just to let you know had a feb time in Aus, did manage to put on 7lbs though in the three weeks so back on track now!!

I think you will be reassured about 7lbs on over the whole season (especially when combined with a fantastic holiday) if you talk to other members at group. I'm sure you will lose it quickly enough. I find that I gain the week including Christmas and the next two as I really struggle to get back in the zone so am now half a stone over target after gaining 5 1/2 lbs but I WILL lose that quite quickly as completely focused now.
So pleased to see you had a great time.

Back