Any excuse suggestions

Struggling this week to make excuses at work why I'm not eating and why I'm not drinking this weekend with friends. I've only told close friends and don't want any lectures which I would get if I pulled out my shakes. Any advice?

Use one of the old faithfuls when youre out with friends.... either say youve got a headache or are on antibiotics and cant drink. Noone argues with those.

As for work, sod them, who cares what they think, its none of your business. if youre on this a while its almost impossible to hide it long term, just tell them youre on a diet and it they start any of the 'its unhealthy' tell them no its not your doctor is aware of it and approves. Then smile sweetly and enjoy your shake ;)

I too only told close friends about the diet as I dont really want everyone knowing but for those who have noticed I have lost weight (hard not to when I've gone from a tight 18 to a baggy 12 lol) I have told them I am healthy eating but cut down on carbs and calories, when they have asked for specifics of my diet I have simply said no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc and no junk. You are bound to get the why dont you have salad or a healthy option if out and about, my answer is, I have planned all my meals and consumables and I am not straying from it, what I am doing is working and I dont want to be tempted. so far it has worked and stopped the questions. when it comes to the drinking or lack of when out, do the classic, do you know how many calories are in that? or just simply say alcohol is not part of my diet plan, so i would rather not. hope this helps. good luck

If you say it's like slimfast it's generally accepted much more than saying it's a VLCD as people assume you're eating with it too.

You can say your on a diet and that you have a diet thing for lunch but you have a small but healthy meal at home (which is what my mum thinks when i do the TS)

Be proud your changing your life.. I was really embarrassed of telling people I was on a diet.. Then I though screw them I'm doing this for me and no one else.. All my friends and colleagues are right behind me now helping me along and it feels great

It would be impossible to hide it from my colleagues so I told them straight away. Most of the comments I would get were "that can't be good for you" and nowadays they are "wow, haven't you lost loads?!" :D I have told them everything, so they know that I have a goal, that I will be eating again, etc. They all turn up their noses at my meals but that's to be expected! When I reach goal weight they are taking me one proper night out :D

Last edited:
My office is very opinionated so i will defiantly keep it to myself. They prob won't notice much till weight starts going. I did successfully managed a night with my friends. I told them I'd already eaten because I'm on a diet and I brought my diet coke with me and kept filling my wine glass with it. After they'd had some wine they didn't notice if I was drinking or not lol, I would have stood out like a sore thumb sipping on a glass of water though so the diet coke worked well.

I totally understand this situation, and people unfortunatly. Some people et a bit narrow minded and think your mad, or wasting your money, or it won't work. Bearing in mind these people have either never had a weight issue in their lives or are still very fat because they can't be bothered lol. I try not to tell people i no for the same reason, and to hear someone say '' you look well have you lost weight '' is such a great feeling. But like the above posts to get away with it youll need to be creative lol. Drinking alchol is not a hard one to passon but other things are, i just kind of ued to go '' oh no i already ate or, im having a big family dinner or i had a cheeky fry up for breakfast. Oh just say im doing this diet mock me all you like when im hot to trot then i can go '' ha in your face lol'' good luck xx

interesting post I have a very opinionated group of friends and family aswell x

Back