Any ideas for a distraction project?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I get bored. Easily. And I don't do sitting around doing nothing very well. I quite like to be busy and doing things. So at the moment, it's hard for me. If I get bored, I'm likely to get hungry. So with uni out for summer and no job on the horizon yet I need a project to distract me. Anyone got any ideas?!

Knitting? get a big blanket started for Xmas/winter time?

Sewing?

Making your own clothes could be a very practical solution to your between sizes problem?

Have applied for a couple of voluntary jobs this morning actually. I study Event Management at uni and that's what I want to do after uni, so applied for a few event organising related ones, one with Cancer Research, another with the Air Ambulance people. So we'll see! I think event organising is what I'd like to fill my time with as it's what I really enjoy.

Knitting... I've done this before, I can't seem to do it though! I drop stitches, I do who knows what and end up with wonky stuff!

I'm considering turning some of my clothes which are too big, along with some other material, into a quilt. Maybe. I like the making clothes idea, if I'd be any good at it, I don't know! I think my mum has a sewing machine around here somewhere, I could ask her. No idea how to do it but sure I could try work it out.

ooooooooh, wish i had thought of that with my old clothes...would be a great reminder of how far we have come huh?

I knit (badly), crochet (a bit better), make wedding tiaras and jewellery, read, go to the gym, nice walk/jog....any of these things???

Enjoy discovering your new talents.

anni
xxxxx

Good Luck then with those voluntary jobs that you have applied for. Sounds like it would be a great thing for you to get into, what with the subject your studying, hope it all works out well for you hun xx

I used to make jewellery, and am thinking about that again. But then I end up with a load of jewellery and nothing to do with it all! Only so many times can give it as presents lol Also I have no idea where most of my jewellery stuff has gone, seems to have disappeared, and I don't really have the money to buy new stuff. Should of mentioned that, needs to be a free or cheap project!

Sell you jewellery on Ebay/Etsy or similar?

Hmm maybe if it's good enough, not sure if it is though! Might try and dig out all my jewellery stuff and give it a go though.

I need to find some people who need events organising, or maybe design work, posters etc. Always keeps me busy for a bit!

Buy a dolls house kit from the "dolls house emporium" and get very "crafty", make it, decorate it, put lil lights in, furniture. Very time consuming but rewarding hobby.

I went to the library for the first time in ages a while back and got a 'pastels in 10 steps' book and dug out my art stuff, really enjoyed doing the first picture and might do another this week-I get totally lost in drawing/painting when I get into it. Im also in general trying to read more and might get a travel book next library visit but that might just make me want a holiday!!

oooh- jigsaw ? while waiting for DS to arrive I got into jigsaws as I didnt really want to leave the house and had done all the cleaning I possibly could!

If you like designing stuff how about scrapbooking? If you have a graphics editor (paintshop pro, photoshop etc) there are lots of free digi kits available. PM me if you want some more info :)

Wow - this is exactly what I need A HOBBY!

At the moment I do nothing except... work, sit at home waiting for my kids to come & go & whilst I am sat here do absolutely nothing!

Mine also has to be free/cheap etc & think that i would like to do something arty make cards or sumthing???? xxxxxxxxxxx

making cards can b really expensive

I heartily recommend knitting if you use acrylic wool/yarn. Could knit a whole jumper for under £5 using a free pattern from something like ravelry

You can even knit with plastic bags. Seriously, google it.

Buy a dolls house kit from the "dolls house emporium" and get very "crafty", make it, decorate it, put lil lights in, furniture. Very time consuming but rewarding hobby.

Oh that sounds like heaven! Am going to look it up! x

I like stitching - cross stitch is very simple but addictive, kits are cheap, and best of all it occupies your hands whilst you watch telly or listen to music, when otherwise your hands might have been occupied transferring your previous snack of choice from bowl to mouth! Easily transportable too, the whole lot will fit in a small bag, so can take wherever.

Yep, it can be expensive alright. Look on ebay for a house that is still in box or partially done. My daughter has a beautiful one Oakhurst Gardens it is (from the website) and we built it and decorated it for her in 2 weeks - I do NOT recommend this! LOL. It is fully lit and we used Sylvanian familes to furnish it for her for xmas.
I have Fairbanks Fairbanks | Collectors Dolls' Houses | The Dolls House Emporium still in the box and waiting for me to find 5 minutes to start it. Brilliant hobby. I dont tend to like the dolls that much, I think i will just decorate mine in minute detail. You can even buy a 1/12th scale broken egg. Ha ha.

Yep, it can be expensive alright. Look on ebay for a house that is still in box or partially done. My daughter has a beautiful one Oakhurst Gardens it is (from the website) and we built it and decorated it for her in 2 weeks - I do NOT recommend this! LOL. It is fully lit and we used Sylvanian familes to furnish it for her for xmas.
I have Fairbanks Fairbanks | Collectors Dolls' Houses | The Dolls House Emporium still in the box and waiting for me to find 5 minutes to start it. Brilliant hobby. I dont tend to like the dolls that much, I think i will just decorate mine in minute detail. You can even buy a 1/12th scale broken egg. Ha ha.

Have checked out the prices and think I may have to find a cheaper project!! Given my attention span (about 4 seconds)!
Caroline, did you find a new hobby? x

Back