Any point in going hospital with a broken toe?

Ally89

Gold Member
i went a concert last night...the crowd was a little rough to say the least. I have a few bruises and a lovely torn muscle in my arm...and a broken little toe. Dad's telling me to go hospital to get it checked cos I keep getting pain down my toe and the side of my foot, but I told him there's no point cos they will only strap it up. After an hour of moaning this morning, I came into work but booked the afternoon off just to stop him whining at me...but do you think I should go get it checked at the hospital or not? I feel like I'm going to be wasting there time taking a broken little toe to the hospital, they have more important things to be checking out i'm sure.

Iv broken a toe before, I just strapped it up, rested it and took painkillers, its about all the hospital will do/tell you to do anyway.

I only go if its something more serious. Like the time I banged my thumb at work.Turns out id broken it in 2 places and split the bone down the middle. I did get a wonderful barbie pink cast from this (last year) lol

Sorry to go off a bit there. I hope your aches and pains feel better, but did you enjoy the concert?

Yes I did, i enjoyed every second of it.

I told Dad there is no point, he won't take my word for it though. When I left the house he was going on about how I "could be left with a limp permanently if I don't get it checked". Talk about melodramatic.

depends how it happened really. did you stub your toe or did you go over on your foot or did someone stand on it?

if you press the knobbly thing half way down the outside of your foot Ibase 5th metatarsal) if thats sore then go to an urgent care/walk in centre, if not then strap your toe up and take some painkillers

x

Someone stood on it...well more like jumped on it. Mum pressed there this morning and it hurt a bit, wasn't like major fly through the roof it hurt so much though. I'll tape them together when I get home.

I badly bruised mine 2 weeks ago in London and thought I was going to have to go to a & e. my mate is a medic in military and said no don't coz there's nothing they can do.

If you've broken it after a week you still won't be able to touch it and it'll be swollen. Keep it upright when you are sitting down etc. keep it out of socks shoes as much as you can.

If its not broken bruising and redness will go down in 5-7 days. If broken it will stay longer xxx

This is also guidance I looked at on NHS website when my dad broke his toe at Xmas.

Im not one for going to the doctors but my mums friend broke her toe and another small bone in her foot a while ago and didn't bother going to the doctors for ages because it was bearable but it turned out she actually ended up with some quite serious damage to her foot because she was walking about on the weakened bone with no support. It's worth going. The worst they can do is say 'sorry, we can't help' hope it turns out ok

I work for a hospital here in Southend, and my advice would be to get it checked. If it is broken then all they'll probably do is strap it up, but best to get it xray'd to make sure there's no other damage done.

also the xray can be important, if there's shards of bone floating around in rare cases they can find their way into your blood stream. very rare, but still a possibility especially as someone stood on it.

Back