Any trip to the hospital/doctors "you need to lose weight"

sugar_face

I've hurt my ankle and got it looked at "it's your weight causing it you need to lose a lot"

No I've lost just under 2 stone and had no problems at my highest weight

And it's nothing to do with me falling down the stairs .

Got a crappy bandage that just cuts circulation.

Anyone else been fobbed off because EVERYTHING is due to your weight?

Ddjxdjsjxjdndb

Winds me up
I know they have to tackle obesity in this country an that but I've gone in with a chest infection, fungle infection on my chest, cracked my head open at work and fell off a scooter

It was all due to my weight apparently.
Even though I don't have diabetes and my bloods aren't close to it
My blood pressure is fine
Etc

Meh haha I moan so much I just hate everything being blamed on weight, what other thing could i be doing right now that would make me lose weight faster?!?!?

PAH

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I went to the doctors for 5-7 years about my left knee... 'you need to lose weight', 'you need to strengthen your quads', 'you need to lose weight', for a good few years, then i came to uni and went to a different doctors, who sent me straight to hospital! Turns out i had a complex tear in my cartiledge, which because it had been left so long had folded under itself.....

My advice is is ALWAYS ask for a second opinion if you are not happy with what they say, because of those doctors i am having 2 knees ops in a year and i'm only turning 21 in March!

I hope you feel better soon!! x

I went to the doctors for 5-7 years about my left knee... 'you need to lose weight', 'you need to strengthen your quads', 'you need to lose weight', for a good few years, then i came to uni and went to a different doctors, who sent me straight to hospital! Turns out i had a complex tear in my cartiledge, which because it had been left so long had folded under itself.....

My advice is is ALWAYS ask for a second opinion if you are not happy with what they say, because of those doctors i am having 2 knees ops in a year and i'm only turning 21 in March!

I hope you feel better soon!! x

Wow medical negligence there :/ I used to work for a legal company that woul of sued the crap out of your doctor :/
It's absolutely ridiculous isn't it?
Dya think that's the number one thing hammered into their heads in medical school?
If they've got a bit of chub, fat shame them.
Ndndnxjfjd
It's still hurting, walking with a limp ha :( if it goes bad again going to the walk in centre humph >.<
xoxo

Yeah, it didn't help that i had a different doctor each time, as most of them weren't 'based' there.... but PLEASE go to the walk-in centre if it doesn't get any better, it would have saved so much pain if i had just been referred straight away! The longer you leave it, the worse it'll get if it's something serious. :) x

Just in defence of the doctors here. Your weight isn't going to help in many of these cases. It's going to slow down healing, especially in things like knees, as well as causing more damage to them anyway due to the excess weight. Plus even if you don't have diabetes it's still going to mess up your blood sugars.

I've had this so many times, and whilst it is true in a lot of cases that carrying extra weight can and does cause complications, when it's just an excuse not to look further it's really not great at all. I attended a funeral yesterday of a 66 year old guy who's lung cancer was so advanced when they eventually found it he didn't have a hope and was not offered any treatment. He was morbidly obese - his breathing difficulties attributed to his weight for months without any thought to further investigate.

Just in defence of the doctors here. Your weight isn't going to help in many of these cases. It's going to slow down healing, especially in things like knees, as well as causing more damage to them anyway due to the excess weight. Plus even if you don't have diabetes it's still going to mess up your blood sugars.

But to be told it was cause of my weight that my ankle hurt, like it had caused it, not that the plastic was sticking up on the staircase in the shopping centre :/ even when I mentioned I'd lost way over a stone she looked at me as if I was lying and said there was a lot of me :/
I was refused any treatment other than her looking at my swollen ankle and making a snap judgement :/

I had to go to a pharmacy myself and buy the support bandage thing .

I understand my weight would hinder a healing process but so would her refusing to treat me because she's got some notion in her head that everything is fat related and I brought it on myself.

I've had this so many times, and whilst it is true in a lot of cases that carrying extra weight can and does cause complications, when it's just an excuse not to look further it's really not great at all. I attended a funeral yesterday of a 66 year old guy who's lung cancer was so advanced when they eventually found it he didn't have a hope and was not offered any treatment. He was morbidly obese - his breathing difficulties attributed to his weight for months without any thought to further investigate.

That's horrible :(
They need to check everything instead of making a snap decision based on. Someone's size :/
Absolute joke.
Sorry about your loss anyway :(
Xoxo

Back