Anyone 12 stones to 11 stones

we are the same height with almost the same to lose Donna, sure we can both do it! concentrate on that flying start you're planning to have xx

Only lost 1/4lb today, I've recently started cycling to work everyday anyone else notice their weightloss slowed when they take up regular exercise?

I cycle with a club, walk and run trails and have found that the last 3 lbs that I wanted to lose have been really stubborn. I'm in target range som would expect the loss to slow up, but I can definitely notice that my clothes are looser, trousers and shirts. I have carbo loaded before for marathons and understand the theory behind it about fuelling up the body ; I found this Q and A , it gives an idea of what might be going on with our bodies when we exercise.

Q: My husband and I have both noticed that on weeks when we exercise more, we tend to lose less weight on the scale than if we don't exercise as much. Why is this?

A: Stop the presses! Exercise is still your friend!

First off, the scale only gives you a limited picture of what's happening in your body. It only tells you total body weight, but nothing about body composition.

You need to understand that exercise induces a series of normal biological changes. Habitual exercise promotes an increase in muscle enzymes that allows you to store carbohydrate more efficiently. This is a desirable effect since this muscle carbohydrate (called glycogen) allows you to exercise longer and harder without running out of fuel. Carbohydrate is very "hydrophilic," meaning it attracts water. So a little extra scale weight is a result of water binding to your muscle glycogen. Also, an exercise bout stimulates a slight increase in volume of plasma (the fluid portion of your blood) so this too may add a bit of weight.

Don't let this minor change in scale weight discourage you from exercise. Carry on with your fitness regimen and focus on your long-term goals. Over time, you will see a drop in body fat that will eventually be reflected on your bathroom scale.

In this Q&A series, William Sukala, MS, CSCS, answers questions about fitness and exercise. Read more articles from our personal trainer.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am 1.5lb away from my first stone. I am weighing in on Wednesday and I am very nervous because I have set my first target of 1.5lb. On a more positive note, I got into the 12 stone bracket last week, so that was very exciting.

Thanks izzy - it's good to find someone with identical target and starting point! It wasn't a bad start - 4lbs off when I weighed in this morning. How are you enjoying running? I did c25k just under two years back, and loved it. I moved house a year back and I've not found anywhere that I feel comfortable running. You'll definitely make the fifth week - keep going, it's an amazing feeling when you realise you've just run for fifteen whole minutes! x

I am enjoying it and have been really surprised every week when I get through it lol. I can't remember how many years it's been since I was able to jog for 5 mins, probably over 15 years ago, this morning's session involved 3x 5 minute jogs, and just for the sake of it I did 6 on the last jog :) I could never have done that a month ago! The next session is 8 mins which I am confident I can do, and the one after that is 20, not convinced I can manage that but I will certainly try! Thanks for the encouragement it gives me hope when I hear others have achieved it :)

I had a gain of 2.5lbs this week, making me 12 stone 10lbs. So annoyed with myself, I'm going backwards.

I'm back on it today, shopping coming and dinner planned for tonight. Im gonna lose next week.

:wavey: Hi Dizzy, the rate you're losing you'll be following Lynne soon enough too :)

I'll be stuck for a bit I should think, damn my snail like body! (not that I'm slimey though...)

I'm a little miffed, I've been cycling 5 miles a day back and forth to work, I'm not losing major amounts. Has anyone else had this problem? I know online it says I'm turning my fat into muscle and I should just measure myself which I have done and I am getting smaller but I feel like I should be losing shed loads! HELP.

:wavey: Hi Dizzy, the rate you're losing you'll be following Lynne soon enough too :)

I'll be stuck for a bit I should think, damn my snail like body! (not that I'm slimey though...)

i just LOL'ld at that! i am sure you won't be far behind hun! you are doing really well!xxxx

Back